Waterfowl hunting in Houston area.

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Waterfowl hunting in Houston area.

Postby muledeer192 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:50 am

I'm relocating to Houston from Idaho. I need help on the best way to gain access to waterfowl hunting. Idaho offers endless public hunting and I'm find not so much in Texas. Any information would be great.
muledeer192
Newb

Re: Waterfowl hunting in Houston area.

Postby aunt betty » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:27 am

muledeer192 wrote:I'm relocating to Houston from Idaho. I need help on the best way to gain access to waterfowl hunting. Idaho offers endless public hunting and I'm find not so much in Texas. Any information would be great.

I heard that Texans love non-Texans and have a special kind of love for Idahoans. @
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby agengo02 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:24 pm

agengo02
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:35 pm

image.jpg
First thing I would do is buy a top notch low profile layout boat and a big mud boat or bay boat. Target ducks in open water, bays and big salt grass flats. I don't claim to know crap about hunting in Texas but this opens huge areas of public water and I don't think many do layout hunting there. There are a few outfitters that have started doing it and I'd say they are very successful. Then you're not playing the lease game for one little section of marsh that probably will not be full of ducks all year. The bays and flats will have more Pintails and Redheads than you've ever seen here in Idaho. If you opt for the mud boat, then you can use it in swamps like I assume you find in Louisiana and east Texas also. Guys have been on this forum asking how to hide in Texas grass flats, here's your answer!
blackrock
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:58 pm

blackrock wrote:
image.jpg
Guys have been on this forum asking how to hide in Texas grass flats, here's your answer!

Actually...i bet to your suprise that the key is not hideing. Instead of trying to put up a big/ugly out of place blind, one of the best ways to hunt an area with no cover is to hide in plain sight. Use a small low profile stool and pop a squat in it right out in the open. When birds start to work you simply sit extremly still. From a distance this looks like any old stump out in the water, by the time birds get close enough to tell the difference, they should be in range. Alot of people think this is crazy but it works.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:38 am

Duck Collector wrote: Alot of people think this is crazy but it works.

Right on!
Other hunters always ask me how I limit out every day when the hunters close to me can hardly get a shot. I tell them I hide exactly that way; right in the middle of the decoys. They always say, "I never see you doing that...." Then I say, "See...it works!"
Then they all go and try it from then on.
THEN, they ask me how I limit out every day when they hardly get a shot.

The cycle never ends.

:biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby KRB » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:21 am

mudpack wrote:
Duck Collector wrote: Alot of people think this is crazy but it works.

Right on!
Other hunters always ask me how I limit out every day when the hunters close to me can hardly get a shot. I tell them I hide exactly that way; right in the middle of the decoys. They always say, "I never see you doing that...." Then I say, "See...it works!"
Then they all go and try it from then on.
THEN, they ask me how I limit out every day when they hardly get a shot.

The cycle never ends.

:biggrin:

Very modest also :no:
KRB
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting