Texas Rig for decoys/Deeper water

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Texas Rig for decoys/Deeper water

Postby duckbusterach » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:19 am

I am checking to see if anyone uses Texas rig for decoys in deeper water 10 to 12' . Thinking of trying and wanted to check to see if anyone else had done this and advice.
duckbusterach
hunter

Re: Texas Rig for decoys/Deeper water

Postby Hbnel5on » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:33 pm

We Only use it 2-4 ft.. Seems like that much line would just get tangled to hell. Unless you had a way of rolling up the line separately but that would be the same as keel wrapping

Some coot stole my fone.
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Hookers and blow.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:19 am

Deepest I go is about 4'. But I have heard of guys making extensions that they keep on hand just incase. basically Line with swivel locks on each end. That way if you get into deeper water, your unhook your current texas rig where it ties into the decoy and add your extension. I have personally never done it but it seems like it would work if you set your texas rigs up with swivel locks to begin with. Mine are all hooked up with line crimps so that wouldn't work to well for me.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:57 pm

i hunt the same depth of water and i just use keel grabbers. :thumbsup:
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:42 pm

We run 6' of line on our divers and haven't had many issues at all. They do get tangled easier but its nothing that bad. anything over 6' would be pushing it though in my opinion.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby 1quacker » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:23 pm

duckbusterach wrote:I am checking to see if anyone uses Texas rig for decoys in deeper water 10 to 12' . Thinking of trying and wanted to check to see if anyone else had done this and advice.

I run 10-12' drops on mine. This is how I work my setup. I run 400# mono and I think this is key. I make sure all my lines are rigged the same length to begin with. We bundle in about 10-14 decoys and I use big colored carabiners from Ace hardware that cost about $2 each. I grab the lines and pull the slack out so all the weights are tight up against the keels and put an overhand knot as close to the decoys as I can. I go up about every 3 ft or so and put another overhand knot. I usually have about 3 overhand knots total on each bundle. I run a permanent blind so I clip my carabiner on a zip tie loop attached to the top of the blind. This keeps the line kind of straight up from the decoys.I then take the carabiner and clip in the middle of the line just to keep all the lines managed. We deploy from the deck so we throw them up their and just undo everything. I unclip the the carabiner and throw the lines out in a straight direction, grab a decoy, grab the weight in one hand, pull and throw. I can throw out a bundle faster than hell. If a line seems hung up just shake it and its undone.

For pickup we grab the head, clip the loop and drag around the decoys until we get 10-12 and get them bundled up like I talked about earlier. The biggest pain is trying to collect your decoys in deeper water. We use a bow mounted trolling motor and front anchor. A hook would make things easier and I am thinking about some type of grapple throw or something also for next year. I store my lines untied in the off season in a kind of straight unkinked fashion.
1quacker
hunter

Postby QuackAttack873 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:10 pm

Hbnel5on wrote:We Only use it 2-4 ft.. Seems like that much line would just get tangled to hell. Unless you had a way of rolling up the line separately but that would be the same as keel wrapping

This.. Mine are all 60 and i wouldn't wanna deal with anything any longer. And throwing texas rigged decoys out from a boat is a bitch in a half.
Some coot stole my fone.
Wack em' and Stack em'
QuackAttack873
hunter

Postby duckbusterach » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:38 am

Thanks for your input
duckbusterach
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting