Attracting help

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Attracting help

Postby Swampfoxforeman » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:11 pm

I don't have many places I can hunt ducks where I live in Alamance NC. I have a pond that keeps Canada's and hooded merganers in it all the time. I'm wanting to bring more ducks in and a more verity of ducks. The pond is not mine just have permission to hunt and in a a cow pasture. What can I do to make it a good duck hunting spot?
Swampfoxforeman
hunter

Re: Attracting help

Postby noweil » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:46 pm

wagon_load_of_corn_wagon_load_of_millard_corn_during_harvest_nebraska_1N9456.jpg

Honestly, if you have geese using the pond hunt it for geese and manage your hunting so you don't burn it out. Let the mergansers alone, they don't eat well. For ducks or geese it is easier to hunt where they want to be than to try and get them to come to some place they aren't using.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:24 am

^^ I like that idea.....

There is no end all solution to get ducks into an area they want to be. And with out owning it that kinda weeds out planting anything to attract ducks.

Are they ducks in the area or flying by? If there isn't much for duck in the area your better off looking else where, heck even if they are in the area you still may be better for just finding them and trying to hunt that. If you have ducks working the area and they just wont come in there you can try more decoys, spinners, blah blah and try and run some traffic on them. But if you have geese in there you don't want to burn the spot out trying to kill ducks. You could turn a good goose spot into a no goose spot if you scare them out and don't let them get back in there cuz your are praying a duck or two will show up.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:45 am

If geese and Merg's are hanging out at the pond, more than likely other duck species are there as well. Just seem's you haven't been there at the right time.
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Swampfoxforeman » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:02 pm

I seen a few woody's on it before the season. So there are other ducks coming to it. I have permission to do what I want just can't regulate the water.
Swampfoxforeman
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:43 pm

Swampfoxforeman wrote:I seen a few woody's on it before the season. So there are other ducks coming to it. I have permission to do what I want just can't regulate the water.

Before I moved to Colorado we would shoot 150 woodies a year off a cow pond in Mississippi. Seems like if the Hooded Mergs are there then the Woodies are gonna be there to.
duckman27
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting