new sportsman

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

new sportsman

Postby labman45 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:17 pm

How do u enter someone new into the sport of hunting.
labman45
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:26 pm

I've gotten some friends and their girlfriends interested purely through taking them into a deer stand outside of hunting season to watch animals. I've been able to show them how exhilarating it can be when a deer stands right underneath them.... you could also start by getting them into target or skeet shooting. tread carefully, don't push it. Build the interest over time. tell your stories in a manner that most people can respect, show them the joys of being outdoors through hunting. Don't foget that many people come home empty handed thier first time, so don't stress the need for the kill too much. Thats just my two cents. I'm sure there are plenty more opinions out there, and I'm curious to hear them too.

Good luck :thumbsup:
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:37 pm

tri is right, don't just show them the harvest. show them how wonderful nature can be without even taking a gun. once they get interested in that, put them in situations where they have the best chance of success. finally, don't over-stay a hunt. it's easy to lose interest in something you're not having any luck at. if things are going good, keep it reasonably short and sweet. you can't expect people to be as dedicated as you may be right out of the gate...
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby duck hunter cam » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:04 pm

Trois_beaux_canards is right...thats what ive done & it worked :thumbsup: .
It's only sky busting if u miss.
duck hunter cam
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:37 am

:withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid:
Yep, I've come home empty handed the last two deer seasons and in Missouri that's HARD to do. I've gotten very picky, should take more does though, and I have really just enjoyed being out there in the woods seeing everything there is to see. I get wood ducks 15 feet under my stand every year. It's awsome to watch them for hours. Then to have deer, turkeys, coyotes, bobcats, possums, skunks, turtles, racoons etc.... stand under you while getting a drink from the same small stream the ducks are in, it's priceless. That's what hunting is really about for me.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby worknem » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:46 am

The most success I've had with hooking new hunters (including my own kids) ties in with what you guys have already voiced. If someone shows an interest in the sport I try to take them scouting to get a feel for the country they'll be in, and expose them to the game. If they still show an interest I'll take them to the next level, ie Hunter Safety course, shooting etc, along with educating them about the game they'll be pursuing. If they've stuck it out to that point, they're usually in for the long haul. If it's nasty weather they'll be hunting in make sure they've got the right gear to keep them comfortable.

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby cast-n-blast » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:48 pm

Sounds like a great idea...Wake the person up at 2:30 in the morning, drive them three hours to the hunting hotspot, set up the dekes, then subject them to hours of subzero temperatures...but don't shoot anything.

Sorry, just being a samrt ***. I agree keep it simple to start. Don't start out by subjecting them to the above conditions, unless you know for sure you're putting somthing in the bag.
:toofunny: :toofunny:
cast-n-blast
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting