Wood duck with yellow eye

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Wood duck with yellow eye

Postby firefighterbraun » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:32 pm

So I am new to the forum and pretty new to duck hunting as well. This was my second season and had a blast and am addicted! The first season was a lot of trial and error. Being new to the sport and not having anyone to teach me it has been a lot of figuring it out on my own and from searching the internet and watching videos. Still not a great hunter but getting better and enjoying every second of it! Anyways, I ended up shooting this wood duck this year and was surprised when I retrieved him that he had yellow/orange eyes and the ring was the same color. Thought they were supposed to have red eyes? Could anyone help me out? I was thinking that maybe it was a younger drake but can't find much on the internet about this. He was shot in Utah and around my area they are pretty rare. So I am getting him mounted and contemplating whether or not to use the red eyes or put yellow ones back. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
IMG_1044.jpg
Close up
firefighterbraun
Newb

Re: Wood duck with yellow eye

Postby duckman27 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:23 pm

There eyes change from red to a lighter color once they die and have set for a while.
duckman27
hunter

Re: Wood duck with yellow eye

Postby firefighterbraun » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:59 pm

Thanks for the info duckman! Makes sense I guess. Guess he'll get red eyes on the mount then! :wink:
firefighterbraun
Newb

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting