Needs opinions on possible hunting spot.

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Needs opinions on possible hunting spot.

Postby ToddnTX » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:37 pm

Did a little scouting today and found a couple potentially good spots.. This one is questionable but really has me excited because the amount of ducks I saw.

So basically the area you see is a a section of a coastline on a bay that opens up into the Gulf of Mexico.. The mash area has some rice fields or something to be attracting a large amount of ducks.. I would like to build a blind where it shows in the picture but I'm concerned with a couple things.

For one, during winter the wind blows from the north, so retrieving ducks may be a little difficult..
And 2, there is no real concave land area to draw birds in where we can build a blind. The blind will have to be built on the water out in the open..

What do y'all think? Any suggestions?

May be obvious but I'm pretty new to this, I'm preparing for my first full season.
Attachments
image.jpg
ToddnTX
hunter

Re: Needs opinions on possible hunting spot.

Postby KRB » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:49 am

Is it possible to set up inland on the edge of what look's like a pot hole just west of were you marked your blind. That would work well with a north wind.
KRB
hunter

Postby ToddnTX » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:43 pm

KRB wrote:Is it possible to set up inland on the edge of what look's like a pot hole just west of were you marked your blind. That would work well with a north wind.

No, that would be trespassing.
ToddnTX
hunter

Postby noweil » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:19 pm

I would hunt a boat blind before building something that ties me to one spot. Till you have the birds figured out staying mobile can be very helpful. I like to go to where the birds are. It is easier than trying to convince them to come some place they don't normally use.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby neon58 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:11 pm

I agree with nowell's post 100%. Pay close attention to what the ducks do on different winds. Good luck!
neon58
hunter

Postby blackrock » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:46 pm

Layout boat!
blackrock
hunter

Postby ToddnTX » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:37 pm

noweil wrote:I would hunt a boat blind before building something that ties me to one spot. Till you have the birds figured out staying mobile can be very helpful. I like to go to where the birds are. It is easier than trying to convince them to come some place they don't normally use.

The only boat I have access to is a 16' white and Bright blue baymaster. Might be able to come up with a way to camouflage it that won't permanently alter the way it looks. Looks like I still have tons of reading and planning to do.
ToddnTX
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:08 pm

Find a way to hunt from the boat, that way you know your not trespassing and also you can follow the water...when the northerns come in hard they will blow the water out for 1000's of yards from shorelines leaving your blind high and dry. Hunting from the boat will let you go where the water is.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:45 am

Find another spot, or obtain permission to hunt the ponds the birds are on.

Trying to get birds that are going into freshwater ponds to come into a nearby spread on salt water will be difficult. If you get one or two long passing shots a day you'll be lucky. I don't see much chance for success the way things are right now.
mudpack
hunter

Postby AKWoody » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:20 pm

The picture looks like a dry impoundment or something. Your best bet is to gain access to the land. That pothole/pond looks shweet!!! If that is an impoundment that is flooded that will probably hold a ton of ducks. The spot you have picked, doesn't look like you would be able to do well. If those birds are stale, and not new migrators, you will get few if any shots. It will be a matter of they know where the food is and where they are going. Good luck!
AKWoody
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting