Question on fake ponds

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Question on fake ponds

Postby NEhunter » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:12 pm

I saw an article in a local newspaper about a couple guys that created a fake pond using black plastic. The plastic was about 50ft x 60ft. The article said they did this b/c their pond had dried up. They said they had some success. Just wondering if anyone has tried this and if so how and to any success? Thanks
"There is a passion for hunting, something deeply implanted within a man..."

-Charles Dickens
NEhunter
hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:06 pm

ive heard of guys doing it on ice using tarps and koolaid but not on land.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:08 pm

What did they do just lay it down. Or fill it up and use the plastic to keep the water in?
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NEhunter » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:54 pm

They just laid the black plastic on land. They cleared it out by using gas powered trimmers and dug a trench and burried the edges of the plastic. Cut some plants and put them on the edges. I have the email article w/ a pic. It looks pretty realistic. The river we hunt on gets slushy and high during late season, most times unhuntable. Thinking this might be an alternative.

Let me know if you guys have any ideas or have heard of any ideas to make this work.

Wondering where to get a 50ft x 60ft piece of black plastic???

Thanks

-Charles Dickens
NEhunter
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:31 pm

NEhunter wrote:Wondering where to get a 50ft x 60ft piece of black plastic???

Thanks

I imagine you would have to get the bigest you can get and peice them together. I have made some Koi (goldfish) ponds in my time and you can special order any size liner you want but your talking some high dollar there but then again its made to hold water and make a pond out of it.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckdog » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:54 pm

sound's like it would be a last resort to put plastic out for bringing in duck's. But if your going to do it, try getting in touch with a local grain elevator, they use large piece's of plastic to cover there grain in the late fall/early winter to keep the snow off of it. this is quite common to tarp grain in the midwest, that or maybe a trucking asscesorie's co. they may be able to hook you up with larger plastic tarps. Good luck.
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:24 pm

done it! using Visqueen in cornfields....had to try it after seeing pics and reading articles about this 'trick' for years....well a couple years ago we were not getting the Canadas to make that initial fly over to have a chance to even really work them.....we tried different set-ups, multiple flags, hiding in the brushline instead of in the decoys etc....so we tried three small ponds/large puddles made from black visqueen and it worked better than any flagging could have worked on that flock....we had outstanding gunning ....sometimes you have to dig deep and this payed off

btw....clear visqueen is an excellent camo drape for layout boats
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:40 pm

I want to see a video of this so bad. I always wanted to do it on ice..

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby thaner » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:44 am

Works great on ice :thumbsup:
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby NEhunter » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:38 am

Thanks for the ideas. It's appreciated. I looked into Visqueen and was wondering where if it is available at a store rather than having to order it through a company? The shipping is a killer. Anybody have any other ideas on what to use?

-Charles Dickens
NEhunter
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:34 pm

Last edited by SwampHunter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Postby RedDog » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:58 pm

Visqueen is a brand name. It's just that plastic sheeting you can get at any hardware/gardening store.
RedDog
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:11 pm

SwampHunter wrote:When we were kids we used clear visqueen and it worked pretty good. Of course you had to be in a flight path that the birds used. We just spread the visqueen out placed our decoys on it and layed under the edge of the plastic with a couple of burlap sacks to hide our upper body.

Wasn't it so simple back then and now with all of our knowledge something this simple has to be expensive and High Tec. Man have we been taken in by the industry or what?
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting