Shallow Creek Divers

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Shallow Creek Divers

Postby Mike657 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:08 pm

During the late season when the lakes are frozen up I hunt a little creek that stays open. On my way home passing a river in a forest preserve I saw common mergansers, golden eyes, and ringnecks in about 8 to 12 inches of water. Hunting the creek during freeze up we only get big mallards. Does anybody know how to get divers into a small creek? I was thinking about maybe putting out a goldeneye or ringneck decoy along with the mallards and geese. :help: :help: :huh: :huh:
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Re: Shallow Creek Divers

Postby KRB » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:39 pm

Yeah, throw out some diver decoy's. It's only gonna work when the big water's frozen. If it don't work, back to the couch and beer. :thumbsup:
KRB
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:53 pm

Yeah thanks :yes: Sounds like a plan :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
Mike657
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:18 am

Mike657 wrote:During the late season when the lakes are frozen up I hunt a little creek that stays open. On my way home passing a river in a forest preserve I saw common mergansers, golden eyes, and ringnecks in about 8 to 12 inches of water. Hunting the creek during freeze up we only get big mallards. Does anybody know how to get divers into a small creek? I was thinking about maybe putting out a goldeneye or ringneck decoy along with the mallards and geese. :help: :help: :huh: :huh:

Certain species of ducks prefer certain water/spots. That's just a fact. If there are no divers on the little creek when they are on the big river, then you aren't going to shoot any divers on the little creek....no matter what decoys you put out.

That's the whole rationale behind scouting; you can't just throw decoys out on any body of water and expect to have birds working them....you have to be where they want to be.

Unless you can shoot that river, or other unfrozen water with divers on it, you may be SOL. It's very hard for an experienced duck hunter to pull birds down to a spot where they have no desire to be. For a neophyte, it's darn near impossible. Keep looking, and when you find a spot with birds that you can hunt, then throw out a some ringneck decoys (at least 3). :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:17 pm

Mudpack thanks for the advise. Their on this creek system when everything is frozen up. I did not get a whole lot of time to hunt the creek this year because for the most part I was more focused on geese. They are there confirmed I have seen them there. You are right about them only being there when the lakes are frozen. Im sure if I hunted it more I would have had a better chance. Thank you for your help it is much appreciated :smile:
Mike657
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting