Which is the better spread?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Which is the better spread?

Postby Honk-n-quack » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:20 pm

Hi all, I sold all my cheap flamblows and now have some cash to spend on decoys. My question is, would it be worth it to run just a dozen avian x's and a dozen goose floaters or two dozen with 6 or so goose decoys. I have the goose floaters but I am trying to decide if an extra dozen decoys really make that big of a difference or if I would have better luck just using goose decoys. this will be hunted on big public waters and marshes
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Re: Which is the better spread?

Postby Honk-n-quack » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:22 pm

in other words is it worth the extra money to just add the dozen, or if the large goose decoys is what will draw them in, meaning I wouldn't have to spend an extra $150 on decoys
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby blackrock » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:17 am

I would use the goose decoys too. We have great success pulling ducks in to goose decoys over open water. How can you have too many duck decoys though? I have 26 dozen floaters! Some situations call for more decoys, sometimes you are better off with just a couple.......
blackrock
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:48 am

basically are the extra dozen really that necessary or will it be the goose decoys that they see bringing them down? I also run 2 spinners
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:50 am

their pintail need to come out quick, I really want to get half a dozen
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:11 pm

In my oppinion goose decoys really help bring in ducks too.
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:18 pm

I thought this was gunna be a blonde, brunette, or redhead thread. Oops. :cool:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Theduckguru » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:15 pm

Honk-n-quack wrote:Hi all, I sold all my cheap flamblows and now have some cash to spend on decoys. My question is, would it be worth it to run just a dozen avian x's and a dozen goose floaters or two dozen with 6 or so goose decoys. I have the goose floaters but I am trying to decide if an extra dozen decoys really make that big of a difference or if I would have better luck just using goose decoys. this will be hunted on big public waters and marshes

I hunt areas where mallards love geese, areas where mallards avoid geese like the plague, and areas where it makes no difference at all. Set what works for where you are.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby noweil » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:38 pm

My best duck decoys are my goose floaters.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby MNGunner » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:50 pm

My "standard" spread for puddle ducks is 12 Dakota mallards, 6 Avian X Feeders (backawater) mallards, 6 GHG Pro Grade Wood ducks and then 6 goose floaters. The goose floaters we usually put down wind (theory that geese don't like to fly over ducks to land) both seem to help give visibility and also bring occasional Canadas in. I usually seems to have the mallards land closer to the duck decoys but not always--sometimes they'll land near the geese
MNGunner
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:46 pm

Theduckguru wrote: Set what works for where you are.

And that's the bottom line.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting