GHG mallard/black duck hybrids

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

GHG mallard/black duck hybrids

Postby SDduckhunter23 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:03 pm

I don't know about anyone else but to me the Pro-grade mallard/black duck hybrids look exactly how a young mallard drake looks in early fall. Has anyone ever used these decoys for that purpose? Being in SD, I've never seen a black duck.
Carter Klatt

As you get older, and hunting time is more available to you, it can get easy to go back to a honey hole too often. Next thing you know, it's not so much honey and more of a hole.
SDduckhunter23
hunter

Re: GHG mallard/black duck hybrids

Postby mudpack » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:16 am

Only ducks in my area during the season that aren't in full nuptial plumage are BW's and Northern Shovelers, so I don't know how much more effective the hybrids would be over simple mallard hens. Wouldn't hurt to try them, along with the January mallards, the early season teal, and the timber spreads.
I just throw out what I have and shoot the drakes that come in.
mudpack
hunter

Postby m3500 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:04 pm

I think of the same thing when I see those decoys a young or not fully plumed drake mallard. I would get some seeing as you live in south Dakota you probably get a lot of those younger drab looking drakes in the early season, so I don't see why it would hurt.
If it flies it dies, if it just sits there it dies too.
m3500
hunter

Postby SDduckhunter23 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:51 pm

m3500 wrote:I think of the same thing when I see those decoys a young or not fully plumed drake mallard. I would get some seeing as you live in south Dakota you probably get a lot of those younger drab looking drakes in the early season, so I don't see why it would hurt.

That's exactly what i was thinking m3500, we do see a lot of not plumed drakes especially early in the season. I would rather use them than hens because of the beak color. I just got 36 new pro grade mallards 12 pro grade teal, 6 pro grade pin-tails and gadwalls but I was thinking on adding some of the hybrid dekes to my early season spread. Never hurts to try!
Carter Klatt

As you get older, and hunting time is more available to you, it can get easy to go back to a honey hole too often. Next thing you know, it's not so much honey and more of a hole.
SDduckhunter23
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:31 am

we have a few North Dakota guides we paint for that just swear by the early season eclipsed paint schedule. The pro grade hybrids are also a paint schedule similar to the hybrid mallard/pacific black ducks we send to New Zealand. I figure the guides must have a better idea on how they work than I would. Early season in Idaho it's very difficult to pick out drakes unless they are older birds, usually the opener has a lot of brown birds, we usually use what we call dirty drakes in our early season spread, but I really couldn't make any conclusions.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby SDduckhunter23 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:25 am

Thats a great looking decoy!
Carter Klatt

SDduckhunter23
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:11 pm

something else I started doing a few years ago is using black ducks instead of mallard hens. I think they show up better and the mallards certainly don't mind out here in Idaho, even though the farthest west black duck I've ever shot was near Emporia, Ks and that was a pretty rare thing there. Mallard hen coloration varies widely from lighter phases to darker ones. I usually go with a dark phase mallard hen or black duck. I think we greatly underestimate the amount of information a duck can process. Nothing frustrates me more than ducks that circle and circle and then move on. I see a lot more species specific activity with diver ducks, for instance when I have both barrows and common goldeneye decoys out, the commons will land about anywhere, but the barrows will land with the barrows decoys nearly every time. I love figuring out all the things that make decoying birds more efficient, that's half the fun.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby SDduckhunter23 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:05 pm

woodduck31 wrote: I love figuring out all the things that make decoying birds more efficient, that's half the fun.

Exactly!
Carter Klatt

SDduckhunter23
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:48 am

Ive seen those hybrid dekes here and they sure do look like our crossbred greylards. I find shoveler will decoy well if we have a few in the spread but we dont seem to even see them if we dont :huh:
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby MIfowler » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:29 am

I thought the same thing when I saw those. The majority of the drakes we get early in the season are juvis here. I think I'm going to try a dozen of them this year.
MIfowler
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting