Crane eating all my coy

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Crane eating all my coy

Postby Nichkor7 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:34 am

I know this isn't a related topic but does anyone have any tips on hunting sand hill cranes. I've got one in my pond eating all my fish! Should I get up before daylight and throw a few duck decoys out and maybe that will help convince it to come in?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nichkor7
hunter

Re: Crane eating all my coy

Postby Cujo1 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:53 am

Nichkor7 wrote:I know this isn't a related topic but does anyone have any tips on hunting sand hill cranes. I've got one in my pond eating all my fish! Should I get up before daylight and throw a few duck decoys out and maybe that will help convince it to come in?

Thanks!

If it is already coming in, why mess it up. Just go shoot the SOB, like a bad spammer!
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:20 pm

a single sandhill crane eating fish doesn't quite sound right to me, not that they don't eat fish, they are fairly opportunistic. Finding a lone sandhill seems odd also, it sounds a lot like a heron. at any rate there are seasons in various states for cranes, might want to investigate that. I've already seen a member here misidentify an immature crane as a blue heron. Of course maybe it's just you that's fishing.
Last edited by woodduck31 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby KRB » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:23 pm

22mag it's stealing :yes:
KRB
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:55 pm

Yeah I agree with the above ^ I have a heron come out ant try to eat my Koi. Best thing I found, is a heron decoy... They don't socialize too much
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:38 pm

WACK the SOB, a man has to protect his fish.
... :sniper: ...22-250...the BASTARD !!!!!
War Wagon
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:31 am

woodduck31 wrote:a single sandhill crane eating fish doesn't quite sound right to me, not that they don't eat fish, they are fairly opportunistic. Finding a lone sandhill seems odd also, it sounds a lot like a heron. at any rate there are seasons in various states for cranes, might want to investigate that. I've already seen a member here misidentify an immature crane as a blue heron. Of course maybe it's just you that's fishing.

This ^.
Sandhill cranes do not eat fish. You've got a GB heron harassing your coy. A friend in SoCal had that problem, solved by putting netting over his pond until the bird abandoned it. My neighbor here in Kansas had the same problem last year. I recommended he solve it with a 20 ga. (we don't live in town...) I don't know if he did or not, but the heron hasn't been seen for awhile. :biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby KRB » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:06 am

Had the same problem on my dads pond after he stocked it with trout. Bad Heron, Justice was served
KRB
hunter

Postby Nichkor7 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:47 am

mudpack wrote:
woodduck31 wrote:a single sandhill crane eating fish doesn't quite sound right to me, not that they don't eat fish, they are fairly opportunistic. Finding a lone sandhill seems odd also, it sounds a lot like a heron. at any rate there are seasons in various states for cranes, might want to investigate that. I've already seen a member here misidentify an immature crane as a blue heron. Of course maybe it's just you that's fishing.

This ^.
Sandhill cranes do not eat fish. You've got a GB heron harassing your coy. A friend in SoCal had that problem, solved by putting netting over his pond until the bird abandoned it. My neighbor here in Kansas had the same problem last year. I recommended he solve it with a 20 ga. (we don't live in town...) I don't know if he did or not, but the heron hasn't been seen for awhile. :biggrin:

20ga sounds easier then a net.

Nichkor7
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:23 am

Yeah, unless you get caught or seen shooting a protected bird. Hard to hunt next year without a license. Most people with expensive koi use netting to prevent predation.
blackrock
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:06 pm

Yep,

20 ga = easier/cheaper
netting = lawful

The choice is yours.
mudpack
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:42 pm

Blue Heron
images[3].jpg

Sand Hill Crane
imagesNS1VNR67.jpg
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Nichkor7 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:33 am

D Comeaux wrote:Blue Heron
images[3].jpg

Sand Hill Crane
imagesNS1VNR67.jpg

It looks a lot like the Sandhill. Although it's not matching because you guys said its rare for just one to be alone?

Nichkor7
hunter

Postby Nichkor7 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:35 am

Do the cranes and herons sound the same/ make the same noises

Nichkor7
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:45 am

Nichkor7 wrote:Do the cranes and herons sound the same/ make the same noises

Not only do sandhills not pursue live fish, their call is completely different than the GB heron.
The sandhill makes a trill, the heron makes a squawk.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Gr33nHead » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:28 am

Round here we call em' "ShitaGallons" :wink:
Gr33nHead
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting