spread additions??

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

spread additions??

Postby clymerfowler » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:45 am

Right now i run 2 dozen mallards and 2 mojos(one baby drake and one teal) and do well. i was wandering if it would be worth it to buy a have dozen pintail, teal, blacks, or widgeon to mix things up. we shoot mostly mallards and woodies but also get blacks are the regular basis and some times pintail, widgeon, or teal if your in the right place. this year i shot mallards, woodies, a pintail, a widgeon, and blacks. But also say teal and gadwall.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 87
clymerfowler
hunter

Re: spread additions??

Postby tsamp » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:32 pm

I would just paint some cheap mallard decoys like a black duck and maybe buy a couple puddle packs by GHG and that would cover what your talking about from the sounds of it. Oh and as fare as teal decoys I wouldn't waste the money on em. They will see the mallards before the teal decoys and by the time they are close enough to pick out the tiny teal decoy they should be dead! But that's just my opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tsamp
hunter

Postby CaptainWv » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:09 am

Black ducks are good and if you can throw 3-4 goose floaters out there for a confidence decoy more than anything. Also if your around divers throw some of those in your spread too.
CaptainWv
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:56 am

Could do something like this...
http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/aver ... -1128.html

No Black ducks, but you can always get a 6 pack of those.
http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/aver ... -4552.html
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:28 am

Black ducks have a well earned reputation for being pretty wary. I'm not sure that this is common knowledge among the ducks, though. Still, if it were me, I'd have a couple of blacks in the rig. I'd also go with a couple of those puddler packs. The key is to match your setup to what the birds in your area are doing. For example, like you, we get mostly mallards. But there is a pretty good percentage of coastal blacks, too. In addition we get a good number of wigeon and gadwall. Occasionally we might see some teal or woodies, but they're pretty rare. Even more rare are pintails. We've tried including woodies, teal and pintails in the rig, but it didn't seem to make any difference. On the other hand, the birds seem more at ease when they see blacks and gadwalls.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:09 pm

i think i might buy the puddler pack and puddler pack 2. then i will have 4 pintail, 4 wigeon, 2 gadwall, and 2 greenwings. then i will get 6 blacks and rester/sleeper pack of mallards. i also hunt big water so a big spread helps.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 87
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby On the X » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:06 pm

An ugly decoy moving beats a pretty decoy sitting still everytime. Look at ducks on the water, every one is moving to some degree while doing what ducks do. You can't put every decoy in your spread in motion but the more you can the better. That's why I prefer a small spread for hunting puddle ducks. The goose decoy suggestion is a good one too.
On the X
hunter

Postby KRB » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:12 am

Never hurts to add a few blacks
KRB
hunter

Postby lag1365 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:32 am

My group of four killed a limit of blacks every time out this year (only one per in NJ so nothing special) but I found the best luck I had with decoying them is to have a group of 6 black off on there own. Most of the blacks wanted nothing to do with the mallards we had had out and landed in with the other blacks, I have GHG over sized for 3 years now and they have held up great. Also a drake whistle worked like a charm, we wouldn't even hit a hen call.
lag1365
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:59 am

Get rid of the MOJOs. Just kept you from wasting anymore money :biggrin:
duckman27
hunter

Postby Team216 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:24 am

I like the black duck idea, maybe a half dozen or so. Then beef up a goose spread. I run about a 70/30 goose over duck spread. From what I've seen, geese are like ducks older brother. The ducks want to be where the geese are and feel somewhat safe. As for the mojo, they can work wonders in the right conditions. Clear calm days, bust em out. Cloudy days leave them home.
Team216
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:40 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:Black ducks have a well earned reputation for being pretty wary. I'm not sure that this is common knowledge among the ducks, though. Still, if it were me, I'd have a couple of blacks in the rig. I'd also go with a couple of those puddler packs. The key is to match your setup to what the birds in your area are doing. For example, like you, we get mostly mallards. But there is a pretty good percentage of coastal blacks, too. In addition we get a good number of wigeon and gadwall. Occasionally we might see some teal or woodies, but they're pretty rare. Even more rare are pintails. We've tried including woodies, teal and pintails in the rig, but it didn't seem to make any difference. On the other hand, the birds seem more at ease when they see blacks and gadwalls.

Frank

Along the eastern seaboard, blacks are known to be wary. Here in eastside the Mississipi Flyway, they are generally easier than mallards. It depends on the habitat your hunting, black ducks love trees.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:18 am

Theduckguru wrote:Along the eastern seaboard, blacks are known to be wary.

This is true, but only known to hunters.
As Frank said, it is doubtful that the ducks know which species are wary and which are not! :lol3:

That said, if I knew there was a chance of seeing blacks tomorrow, I'd have a couple of black duck decoys in the bag.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Cul D' Canard » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:03 am

IMO, a few black decoys are always a good addition. I believe they are visible from greater distances, as well as functioning as possible confidence decoys; i.e., black ducks, or coots out west. I usually set out 2 to 4 mallard decoys ( spray painted flat black) on the outside of the spread.
"We're all in this together" - Red Green
Cul D' Canard
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting