want to shoot more ducks

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

want to shoot more ducks

Postby sandman » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:46 am

concealment is the key and I know all of you knew that it is just duck's have greater color contrast by 5 times greater than we do so if your cover up 99% that doesn't cut it ,If you cover 100% your bag will increas 10 fold garented,A great caller never hurt nuthin ether,great hunting!
sandman
Newb

Postby Mallyard » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:09 pm

Thanks for the input sandman....

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:17 am

Yea thanks I will do that next time. :salude:
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Cut Em » Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:06 pm

I love to shoot ducks at 70 yards with my Benelli with Hevi Shot :salude:
Cut Em
Newb

Hiding is definatly a key to getting the ducks in close BUT

Postby duckmanwalking » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:53 am

Concealment is #1! Yet, there is another key factor…movement. Most of us have had a time when we’re setting out the spread or retrieving a bird and here they come. Sometimes it is not that they can see you but that they can not see any movement. Reaching for your gun, turning your head or even moving you feet and they can have you pegged. (Hope this keeps the conversation going!!)
Hold it. No not yet. Hold it.....(Boom) Go ahead, take-em! (The way my brother calls the shots.)
duckmanwalking
hunter

Postby DuckPlayer » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:54 pm

I agree with the movement comment . I've been caught right out in the dekes with no camo on and if I held perfectly still had ducks land in the dekes next to me. (like within 10 yard) move and their gone. :toofunny:
Some days you do everything right and don,t bag a thing , Some days you do everything wrong and still get LUCKY !!!
DuckPlayer
Pro Hunter

Postby Southbound1 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:07 pm

Both points are very important. Concelament is paramount as ducks see extremely well and have a very different vantage point than you and I have. It's like sitting in a treestand deer hunting versus hunting on the ground. In the treestand you can see every movement on the ground, at eye level you can see very little. Movement is big as well. We do alot of hunting in natural cover and as long as you are concealed and still they will land at your feet. One wrong move the for the call or your gun and you can see them flare. This is all part of what makes duck hunting the ultimate game! I hunt everything but nothing is more fun than shootin quackers up close!
The Quacker Smacker
Southbound1
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:59 pm

Cut Em wrote:I love to shoot ducks at 70 yards with my Benelli with Hevi Shot

I smell BS. No I think you meant that you shoot AT ducks....skybuster :thumbsdown:

Its been my experience that the vast majority of the hunters can not hit the broad side of a barn past 40 yds....much less a crossing diver at 40 yds going 45 mph with the wind...
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Quackkills9 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:04 pm

CUT EM.... love shooting ducks at 70 yds???
"Get Down and Cover Up!" -Tim Grounds
"In Yo' Face!"
"My Retriever is Smarter than Your Honor Student!"
Quackkills9
hunter

Re: want to shoot more ducks

Postby brdprey » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:51 am

sandman wrote:concealment is the key and I know all of you knew that it is just duck's have greater color contrast by 5 times greater than we do so if your cover up 99% that doesn't cut it ,If you cover 100% your bag will increas 10 fold garented,A great caller never hurt nuthin ether,great hunting!

:yes: i have to agree, like when it snows out here at farmington bay, i love to see the idiots come out in there dark camo, while ihave my snow camo on and face mask. i walk back usually with at least 6 each time and people just freak.
thinking of a blind for next year and a new location thou.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:29 pm

yes i agree consealment is very important but i think staying still is the #1 i have be laying in a feild in jsut camo and killed more birds then every before
but i was were the birlds wnated to be that probly helped a lot
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckplucker » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:22 pm

Concealment and motion, cant say that there aren't 2 more important things to worry about. I still say mainly motion, cause if your perfectly still and not totally concealed you have a better shot at bagin your limit compared to running in circles around your decoy spread in perfect camoflauge.
duckplucker
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting