Rigging decoys

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Rigging decoys

Postby Take em boys » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:17 am

I hunt over 4 dozen duck decoys I mainly hunt alone and between setting up and picking up it gets a little to much at times I'm looking for a way to throw out a dozen at a time kinda like a gang rig for divers any one ever do this with pudlers and still have your spread look decent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Re: Rigging decoys

Postby Honk-n-quack » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:48 pm

I like jhooks. I liked texas rigs with pvc pipe (to keep them straight during storage) but I also hunt saltwater so 15 ft Texas rigs were out of the question.
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby Echospartan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:38 am

If your hunting water 4' or shallower you could Texas rig, way quicker to set up and pick up.
Pull 'em outta the sky!
Echospartan
hunter

Postby KRB » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:09 am

I know every part of the country is different, but I rarely use more than a dozen decoys for puddler's. Most times 7-10 for blacks, mallards or pins. Usually only run 3 dozen for bluebills as they are broken up into smaller groups on our bays. And with a limit of 2 last year, I'll go for them more knowing I am not going to have set and pickup 5-6 dozen decoys.
KRB
hunter

Postby tsamp » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:28 am

J hooks work good for me at 5-10 ft deep, and Texas rigs in 4-1ft

tsamp
hunter

Postby tsamp » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:32 am

Also I rarely hunt over anything more than 18 decoys for puddle ducks on the water. I personally don't find it necessary if I'm where the ducks are, so sizing down would prolly make things a lil less painful at the end of the day! My opinion

tsamp
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:23 pm

Water I hunt is a foot or less and as far as the decoy numbers that is what worked for me allot of the lakes I hunt has one big massive raft of ducks they stay on the water most of the day and get up and fly to different parts of the lake I started last year with 2 dozen and noticed a huge difference when I upped the number of decoys just my experience

"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby KRB » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:25 pm

Then do what works for ya brah. Texas rigs should help. :thumbsup:
KRB
hunter

Postby tsamp » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:03 pm

KRB wrote:Then do what works for ya brah. Texas rigs should help. :thumbsup:

I agree with KRB Texas rigging in that deep of water should make life easy! Good luck man.

tsamp
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:54 pm

So with Texas rig are you throwing a dozen out at a time or just saving time by un clipping the decoy vs wrapping line?

-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:23 am

I hunt on foot, so the depth of the water is never over waist deep. I like having depth adjusters on my clear tanglefree line. When I bag the decoys, I slide the depth adjuster and weight right up to the keel to keep the weights from being able to slide back down in the bag and get tangled up with other weights and lines. I don't wrap the lines at all, just leave them loose in the bag, they are only 5 foot long or so. Same thing goes for my custom decoys that I put in slot bags. It's not a lot different than texas rigging other than the when they are laid down, the weights are held in place against the keels with the depth adjuster. We have hunted over as few as 3 decoys and as many as 200 and this has cut our time down considerably for picking up and putting out. When I retrieve my decoys at the end of the day, I just grab the line and the depth adjuster and slide it up and continue to do that until I can drag a dozen decoys to shore and drop them in a bag. I never throw a decoy out, but place them strategically. When I'm dealing with freezing conditions, I don't want the decoy wet on top and icing over, so we set them in place carefully one at a time. The only time I'm concerned with speed is when I'm picking the decoys up.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby tsamp » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:06 am

Take em boys wrote:So with Texas rig are you throwing a dozen out at a time or just saving time by un clipping the decoy vs wrapping line?

Just clip em on a carabiner. Due to my likes of a decoy bag I wrap my short lines and clip a single small carabiner to the keel which always stays on the line. It's hard to picture but if you want I'll post a pic. It's still fast and all my decoys are in the bag and not banging around on my back while I walk 2 miles into the impoundments. But in a boat I'll leave em outa the bag lines unwrapped.

tsamp
hunter

Postby Echospartan » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:18 am

Take em boys wrote:So with Texas rig are you throwing a dozen out at a time or just saving time by un clipping the decoy vs wrapping line?

30" lines are available and this should be perfect you if hunt a foot or so of water. I like to clip half a dozen to a carabiner, this makes them easier to get them in and out of a decoy bag. This makes it easier to throw out and set decoys, as well as pick up. No more unwrapping and re-wrapping decoy cords are keels.
Pull 'em outta the sky!
Echospartan
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:10 pm

run the line through PVC line to prevent memory or knots
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat May 10, 2014 2:18 pm

Puddle ducks tend to like skinny water so all my decoys are Texas rigged with 5' cords.
If I get into deeper water I rig extensions which is a pita.
Tried gang rigs. ..its a clusterfuck.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting