Water swatting ducks

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Water swatting ducks

Postby band_blaster » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:11 pm

what are your guys thoughts on water swatting or sloughing ducks on the water?

My personal opinion is I don't do it never have and never will. I understand if you injure a duck and you shoot it to keep it from diving and possibly getting away but I'm talking they either swim up and boom you blow them away.
(Stole this idea fromBamaHoyt)Thanks guy!
Mottleds-
Mallards/Hyrbrids-2
Blue wings-
Green wings-
Wood Ducks-
Whistlers-
Hooded Mergansers-
Ring Necks-
Pintails-2
Shovelers-
band_blaster
hunter

Re: Water swatting ducks

Postby B.E.Nelli » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:45 pm

I don't personally care if other people do, but I like to let em get off the water. More fun shooting em on the wing.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:30 am

As a general rule I like to land them first then shoot as they get up. The way I look at it is my job is to put them in the decoys. If I can fool them into sitting down then I've gave them their chance. I'm not above swatting the first one if they don't get up when I move to shoot. Personally I think it's more sporting and more true hunting to put them in the decoys and water swat one than it is to jump shoot ducks

sent leaning against a big oak in knee deep water
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby KRB » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:50 am

Each to his own, But the only water swatting I do is on wounded or crippled ducks.
KRB
hunter

Postby rikasam2013 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:23 pm

See duck hanging out, sneak/bellycrawl/wade to range, be ready, if it jumps...wack it!! If it don't jump....wack it!! OR....sit in blind, decoy in birds, they land when your back is turned, see it swimming, if it jumps...wack it!! If it don't jump....wack it!!....wack it!! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
rikasam2013
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:11 pm

I shoot geese on the ground....But that is also with a bow :yes:
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:57 pm

Unless its a wounded duck its a bit illegal where I come from
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby War Wagon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:53 pm

I really don't need a duck or a goose that bad. I do understand some people are raised that way but...........It's not very sporting... :no:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:28 pm

It's more sporting, and more fun to shoot as they are coming in, or jumping up off the water. We have to water shoot some cripples when hunting open water though.....
blackrock
hunter

Postby band_blaster » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:51 pm

i was taught from the very beginning don't shoot over someones head and don't water swat
Mottleds-
Mallards/Hyrbrids-2
Blue wings-
Green wings-
Wood Ducks-
Whistlers-
Hooded Mergansers-
Ring Necks-
Pintails-2
Shovelers-
band_blaster
hunter

Postby tsamp » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:15 am

If they even make it to the water and are still alive, I'll put the beed on em, give em a "hey!", and if those two actions don't make em get up then I put em on the strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tsamp
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:22 am

It's not very sporty I like to give the animal a chance I used to water swat a few years ago. I haven't done that in a few years. I would only do it if something rare like another white cheeked pintail,pintail,fulvous, a hybrid, or some non native duck. But those are few and far between.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:21 am

no wild game bird may be shot at unless that bird is in flight. Turkeys may be shot only while they are on the ground or in flight. The exception is a wounded bird

Fellows Id check your state and federal rules in the regard of water swatting, The above is what the rule is in Kansas and just for my own education I called Fish and Game and the lady I talked to said its a 250 buck fine here.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:43 am

What if they can't fly?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:07 pm

I very rarely do it, only once last year. I find it a lot more enjoyable to shoot them while there back flapping over the decoys! But if it's a cripple, it's getting some steel!
OregonSpeck85
hunter

Postby sarjrr » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:10 pm

cluckmeister wrote:no wild game bird may be shot at unless that bird is in flight. Turkeys may be shot only while they are on the ground or in flight. The exception is a wounded bird

Fellows Id check your state and federal rules in the regard of water swatting, The above is what the rule is in Kansas and just for my own education I called Fish and Game and the lady I talked to said its a 250 buck fine here.

Cluck-
Fish and Game lady doesnt know what she is talking about. Although your quote from the regs is accurate, it isnt the whole story. It says "no wild game bird", but deeper in the regs there is a definition of what constitutes a wild game bird in Kansas. Ducks and geese arent listed and therefore according to law they arent wild game birds and that reg doesnt apply.
sarjrr
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:30 pm

I'm not advocating shooting birds on the water but that sure isn't the case all over. Don't know about Kansas laws though. In Idaho it's even legal to shoot grouse with rifles, handguns and bow/arrow.
blackrock
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:17 pm

I shoot them on the water and in the air. Whichever gives me the best chance and killing that duck. If they are swimming in the decoys, I wait until they get in between a couple then smoke it.

I will never understand why the world of duck hunting has so many unwritten rules. Don't water swat, don't jump shoot, don't shoot hens; all perfectly legal in my state, yet all frowned upon by the duck hunting community.

I guess it's the only way for some to quantify them being a better hunter than me maybe?

:beer:
agengo02
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:37 pm

sarjrr, you are correct , the only migratory game bird in Kansas that has to be in flight is a dove, I called Topeka and talked to the manager of regulations, he says accordingly to federal regs, its legal to shoot any migratory game bird while its not in flight, But, Kansas adapted the dove rule where doves have to be in flight. He also gave me the CFR on the subject if I wanted to read it. I guess I could have been swatting ducks and geese for the last 40 years and didnt know it LOL
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:17 pm

agengo02 wrote:I guess it's the only way for some to quantify them being a better hunter than me maybe?

Or maybe they just don't get a charge out of shooting sitting ducks and don't want one bad enough to take it that way.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:36 am

it became illegal here back in the 70s about the same time they allowed you to use a shell longer than 2 3/4"
its a funny one and Im sure we all did it as kids and wont begrudge a kid doing it.
as for adults...if its against the law ITS AGAINST THE LAW
so in effect you are committing a crime using a firearm....
If you do it and are caught..well you could end up in deep doo doos
at the end of the day its only a duck and using steel you have a far better chance or doing it cleanly if its wings out, cupped to land
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby KRB » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:50 am

Rick Hall wrote:
agengo02 wrote:I guess it's the only way for some to quantify them being a better hunter than me maybe?

Or maybe they just don't get a charge out of shooting sitting ducks and don't want one bad enough to take it that way.

Well said.
KRB
hunter

Postby tsamp » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:38 am

I know a guy who will throw empty shells at a duck on the water before he will water swat em haha! I guess everyone has a method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tsamp
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:51 pm

I water-swat a bird about once a season. I'm not proud of it. I like the challenges that waterfowling affords. Shooting sitting ducks with a shotgun is not a challenge.
mudpack
hunter

Postby band_blaster » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:35 pm

Wow i didn't realize so many people water swat an uninjured bird. hmmm i just wouldn't feel right about it.
Mottleds-
Mallards/Hyrbrids-2
Blue wings-
Green wings-
Wood Ducks-
Whistlers-
Hooded Mergansers-
Ring Necks-
Pintails-2
Shovelers-
band_blaster
hunter