Water swatting ducks

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Water swatting ducks

Postby beretta24 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:26 am

It doesn't affect the taste I can assure you.
beretta24
State Moderator

Water swatting ducks

Postby KyMike » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:40 am

I'm not a fan of water swatting. Not because its "not sporting". I think if you have set up correctly, put out a good spread, called well and concealed yourself well enough to land your birds on the water a clean kill should be your reward.

But this is why I do not like water swatting. I did it 2 times last year. Both times the birds I shot 2nd or 3rd dropped dead. The birds sitting on the water flew off broken up and surely died elsewhere. Obviously the pellets missed the brain or spine and were absorbed by the folded wings.

I do not condemn those who water swat like I would not condemn someone who was able to spot and stalk a deer and shot it while it was sitting instead of standing or roosts turkey and sets up near them the next morning.
KyMike
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:12 am

beretta24 wrote:It doesn't affect the taste I can assure you.

:ditto:

Always love this debate... Purpuse of decoys and duck call is to get the birds close to you to make a clean ethical shot/kill Correct? If i can trick a bird to come all the way in then so be it! Now i dont do it much cause i dont land bird on purpose... NOrmally a silent runner than sneaked in or a single jumped the gun out of a group.. They normally get a "hey" once or twice then it gets a "cut it"!! No slept lost and a dead duck

I assume all you "not sporting guys" yell at your deer and turkey when hunting them to make them run correct?? Cause its not sporting to shoot a standing still deer... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :hammer: Or when you have a turkey coming to the decoy and call you dont let it get all the way to the decoy at 10 yards you start shooting at 70 or stand up and start yelling cause you want to make it "sporting" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :hammer:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:43 pm

ok ok :oops: I will admit Im biased :oops:
a bit like the police talking about speeding
Im not allowed to do it and would be a hypocrite to give others a ticket for doing so if I did. :hammer:
once or twice a season on a rapidly landing/ departing single is just a "shite happens" thing...fellas lining up heads and taking 5-6-12 per shot is akin to punt gunning and the reason the rule was made in first place :no:
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Water swatting ducks

Postby KyMike » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:52 pm

If were talking ethics I think the most ethical way would be change our choke to turkey chokes, let them land and take head shots. We would wound a lot less animals then shooting at a moving target. Kind of like turkey hunting ducks. One shot one kill or miss.
KyMike
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Sun May 04, 2014 5:44 pm

I cant see why it would be "unsportsmen like" to shoot a duck or goose on the water. I shoot both;furthermore, I feel more accomplished if i can fool them into landing. I eat every bird i shoot and if you shoot them on the water you wont tear up the breast.
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Postby longboman » Mon May 05, 2014 6:00 pm

I would love to see the look on the traditionalist face when told at the duck hunting purly gates that he, his $20,000 rig, 7 dozen lifelike decoys, a laynard full of custom calls, an award winning golden lab and that $2,500 shotgun would have to wait till the farm boy who has nothing but a hand me down single shotgun goes waterswatts a few ducks on the pond for the table.

Nothing wrong with either dude in the above scenario but one is killing for the table and the other is hunting for the table...and both are fine as long as their legal. And for one to try to bestow his way on the other would be reason enough to send the bestower home with a spanking and suspension for the season.
longboman
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Mon May 05, 2014 7:33 pm

:bow: :bow: well said Longboman well said indeed :bow: :bow:
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon May 05, 2014 7:57 pm

longboman wrote:I would love to see the look on the traditionalist face when told at the duck hunting purly gates that he, his $20,000 rig, 7 dozen lifelike decoys, a laynard full of custom calls, an award winning golden lab and that $2,500 shotgun would have to wait till the farm boy who has nothing but a hand me down single shotgun goes waterswatts a few ducks on the pond for the table.

Nothing wrong with either dude in the above scenario but one is killing for the table and the other is hunting for the table...and both are fine as long as their legal. And for one to try to bestow his way on the other would be reason enough to send the bestower home with a spanking and suspension for the season.
zGreat post. This thread is getting as retarded as the jump shooting thread did. I don't water swat ducks very much, but I sure as hell don't judge the kid or guy that does. At least they usually get the bird. I noticed in the layout boat if a duck sneaks in undetected and I sit up to flush it and shoot, a lot of time I would wound that bird cause they have an armor plated back! Then it's getting chased down and shot again. Same with the jump shooting posts, who really cares how patient some retired guy is that sits in a blind for 12 freaking hours. That doesn't make him a "better" hunter, maybe a worse one, or just a guy with crappy hunting spots. As long as duck hunting is done legally and with a dose of common sense, quit judging everybody else.......
blackrock
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:55 pm

Agreed. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: well spoken longboman. :thumbsup:
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Postby wigeonator887 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:20 pm

Hell yeah I water swat. I also jump shoot ducks. Sometimes I sneak up on them good enough that my first shot is a water swat.
Fresh white Reebok's kickin your ***
wigeonator887
hunter

Postby wtrfwlr43 » Fri May 09, 2014 3:52 pm

I'll stand up or sit up and yell HEY - HEY - HEY. I'll yell 3 seperate times at'em. After 3 chances if they don't fly they die. Figure I'm helping the gene pool. It's rare they don't get up but it does happen.
wtrfwlr43
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Wed May 14, 2014 9:45 am

If it flies, it dies. If it lands, it dies wet
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby getemducks » Thu May 22, 2014 9:31 am

I always water swat ducks or geese if I get the chance, a healthy dose of T shot out of a 10 usually knocks one... or few out on the water. After all... It's kinda cruel and weird to kill something for sport IMHO, it's a different story if you harvest an animal for consumption and have a little fun doing it. :hi:
Mini Goose Decoys - Inventor
"Gets the Longnecks closer"

Foamy Log Blind@ Prostaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a LOG!"

I wish I knew half as much, and shot half as many birds as the guys on DHC claim they do...
getemducks
hunter

Postby KRB » Thu May 22, 2014 3:48 pm

I don't knock anybody who does it. I just get a thrill out of knocking ducks out of the air.
KRB
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:09 am

I've found that the water-swatters tend to be those who have little/no confidence in their wingshooting abilities.
They feel they have to wait until the bird is sitting to have the best chance of hitting it. That's okay, swatting is perfectly legal and if you can justify it to yourself in some way, then more power to you.
Some guys like black guns.
Some guys like camo clothing.
Some guys don't' like jump shooting.
Some guys don't like Mojos.

Be a pretty dull world if we all did things the same way.
mudpack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:15 am

blackrock wrote:[who really cares how patient some retired guy is that sits in a blind for 12 freaking hours. That doesn't make him a "better" hunter......

Of course not, but it does make him a patient hunter. :lol3:
That was the point I was making after you said a jump shooter has to have more patience (to put on a sneak) than a guy who hunts over decoys (implying some sort of superiority for the jump shooter). I was pointing out the fallacy of your theory. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:10 am

Um, I didn't post anything about patience of jump shooters........
blackrock
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:26 am

mudpack wrote:I've found that the water-swatters tend to be those who have little/no confidence in their wingshooting abilities.

My experience has differed greatly in SW Louisiana, as most of the top wingshots I've hunted with appear as happy to swat their birds on the ground as in the air. Believe it's a regional thing where waterfowling is still as much about meat on the table as sport. Know the fellow I think of as "best" was still hunting for a thriving New Orleans market in the '60s and has killed untold thousands of birds in the air, yet once asked me to let a specklebelly land, then waited until it settled in and took a sip of water or nibble of something before raising its head and being killed. "Wanted him to die content."

My own upbringing elsewhere was very different, and I've no interest in swatting a healthy bird for any reason.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:57 pm

blackrock wrote:Um, I didn't post anything about patience of jump shooters........

Sorry, blackrock, I had you confused with someone else.

Rick Hall wrote:I Believe it's a regional thing...

Rick may be onto something there......
mudpack
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:36 pm

We call it "dry-gulching". and while they tend to die harder that way, due to their vitals being protected by water on the bottom and wing feathers on top, they certainly do taste the same. I try to get them up just because the kill is usually easier and cleaner, it always gives me great pleasure to bust someones stones when they attempt a "dry gulching" and miss. Oh how I laugh and clap for them :clapping:
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Previous

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting