In need of some help

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

In need of some help

Postby rnloutdoors » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:54 pm

So I learned my lesson of buying cheap decoys as I am the not so proud owner of flambeu storm front mallards. I bought 2 doz and was wondering would it be better to sell them and buy a doz quality decoys or keep the larger spread?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
rnloutdoors
hunter

Re: In need of some help

Postby noweil » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:13 pm

What is the problem with the Flambeaus? Years ago I got to hunt at an exclusive private duck club that killed 1000's of ducks a season. We had a fantastic hunt and the decoys they used looked terrible. They were dirty and muddy with paint wore off and the ducks didn't care. That is when I learned that location was more important than how pretty your decoys are. If you aren't killing ducks over the Flambeaus, I would bet it isn't a decoy problem.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:25 pm

I have to agree...if you dont like the paint job repaint them.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:14 pm

just keep them use them for filler decoys in a larger spread
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby tsamp » Thu May 01, 2014 6:44 am

Keep em for early season decoys and buy a dozen nice decoys for the later birds that are real picky. Just make sure you get some that are feeding and sleeping and what not. Adds a lot of realism that time of year. You can even slap some paint on the decoys you got now to make them look like eclipsed birds. Or if you hunt divers every now and then paint em like blue bills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tsamp
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sun May 11, 2014 7:49 am

Shoot man, I've killed my fair share over those same decoys. I use them in my spread, they work fine. Realize, the market sets the price and realism of the decoys you buy, not the ducks. If you were flying 30 mph would you be able to notice if it was a 30$ decoy or 80$? I Doubt it.

Id agree with whats said above. Location before decoys. They work fine, and if someone hits one when killin a cripple, i dont cry as much.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby slaysession » Thu May 15, 2014 5:38 pm

I'd rather be set up on the x with crappy decoys then the next spot over with best decoys on the market

slaysession
hunter

Postby tsamp » Thu May 15, 2014 5:58 pm

slaysession wrote:I'd rather be set up on the x with crappy decoys then the next spot over with best decoys on the market

This is very true! But in some cases it's easer to have nice decoys than to get the land that the X is on unfortunately! Haha!
tsamp
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sat May 17, 2014 5:58 am

I'd agree with that. Haha I swear the X tends to move away from my group. Must be the farts in our waders.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby slaysession » Sat May 17, 2014 9:01 am

Haha yea I know what your saying in some cases if you hung public land you can get on the x so nice decoys really help getting birds in as well as movement in the spread it would g hurt to get 2 dozen pro grades or Dakotas to use!

slaysession
hunter

Postby tsamp » Sat May 17, 2014 2:15 pm

Just win the lotto! Then you get nice decoys and you just BUY the X! Or make an X whatever works haha..
tsamp
hunter

Postby rnloutdoors » Mon May 19, 2014 10:10 pm

Well I think I'll keep them and just tell my self I need the new ones any way and end up buying more to add my always increasing number of dekes. I honestly don't think I'll ever have enough

rnloutdoors
hunter

Postby tsamp » Tue May 20, 2014 7:03 am

Hit up prairywind decoys. Having a nice sale right now.
tsamp
hunter

Postby rnloutdoors » Tue May 20, 2014 6:15 pm

I have nothing against prarie wind ordered there once. But fed ex shipping from them is insanely pricey for me

rnloutdoors
hunter

Postby tsamp » Tue May 20, 2014 7:05 pm

Yea, in some places it can be! I'm in MN so it ain't to bad considering what I saved on the sale price.
tsamp
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed May 21, 2014 10:55 am

noweil wrote:What is the problem with the Flambeaus? Years ago I got to hunt at an exclusive private duck club that killed 1000's of ducks a season. We had a fantastic hunt and the decoys they used looked terrible. They were dirty and muddy with paint wore off and the ducks didn't care. That is when I learned that location was more important than how pretty your decoys are. If you aren't killing ducks over the Flambeaus, I would bet it isn't a decoy problem.

The decoys were there for decoration....it was the corn below the deeks that the ducks were comin for.... :thumbsup:
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby marsh water » Mon May 26, 2014 6:31 am

I agree with the keep em crowd. I bought a few dozen after the season one yr for like 12 bucks a dozen. The heads were grey. I thought they had gotten mixed up with some gadwall dekes. Just flaky bad paint. Mixed in with about 4 doz. good dekes, nobody could tell. I painted the heads. Now they look good.
marsh water
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:16 pm

The decoys were there for decoration....it was the corn below the deeks that the ducks were comin for.... :thumbsup:[/quote]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA! now that's a funny post right there :beer:
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:35 am

rnloutdoors wrote:Well I think I'll keep them and just tell my self I need the new ones any way and end up buying more to add my always increasing number of dekes. I honestly don't think I'll ever have enough

Sell 'em now or sell 'em later, you'll still sell them after buying a dozen or three really good mallard decoys.

I started with cheapies, and as I acquired some Avian-X and ProGrades, I found that the cheapies just stayed in the decoy shed....season after season....until I sold them. For me, two dozen good decoys was better than four dozen poor decoys.
...and I never had to (or wanted to) put out all six dozen at the same time.
Your results may vary, however, and if you decide to pursue divers, the philosophy will be 180 degrees opposite. :yes:
mudpack
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting