farm ponds

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

farm ponds

Postby Heter32 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:18 pm

If I am hunting a farm pond in the evening and the ducks and geese are coming in at dusk, do I stand a chance of showing up an hour before sunrise and still getting to hunt those birds? Some help to this beginner would be great!
Heter32
Newb

Postby rivertrash » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:34 pm

You will probably push them off when you come in, but chances are they will come back. They sometimes go off to feed and come back later in the morning to rest there. Go for it!
rivertrash
hunter

Postby Anser albifrons » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:04 am

if they are coming in at dusk, chances are it is a roost pond. if you jump them in the morning, they are likely not to come back until dusk. my advise? DO NOT HUNT ROOST PONDS! let the birds rest.
Anser albifrons
hunter

Postby duckbuster808 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:24 am

If your going to hunt it, wait until the birds leave in the morning then go in and set up a couple of decoys and make sure you hidden well...the birds will likely come back mid morning or afternoon and you will be able to shoot them then. don't shoot larger flocks and educate them because they probably won't come back. shoot your limit of a couple of birds and get out! let them roost and they will likely be there for a few good hunts.
2010 Michigan Masters State Duck Calling Champion
2007 Michigan State Junior Duck Calling Champion
2006 3rd place Michigan Junior Duck Calling Contest
duckbuster808
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:30 am

From my experience with roosts, they start piling back into it around 9 a.m. or later in smaller groups. I try and get my limit or as many as I can, and then get the hell out.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting