Puddler spread

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Puddler spread

Postby Mallyard » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:45 am

What kind of spreads do ya'll use for puddlers... In the past years I've used all mallards and a teal that I found. This year we are adding wigeion(sp?) and Shovlers. Along with a jerk string to add to our robo duck... Well any other tatics you guys use in your spread for puddlers?

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby puddlerjumper » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:26 pm

i got 5 dozen decoys, 3 dozen mallards, 1 dozen pintail, and 1 dozen greenwing teal, all from flambeau
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:29 pm

yah.. I've heard that teal work good. Just never got around to buying amy.

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby puddlerjumper » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:41 pm

to tell you the truth, those 5 dozen decoys i own have never been used, i bought them all after the season was over, ive never hunted over my decoys, ive always pond jumped, i noticed that a lot of my flambeaus came in with a little bit of the paint flaked off, its nothing big, ive scratched at it and nothing came off, is there anything i should be concerned about, because ive always thougth of flambeaus as being one of the best decoys there is
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby champion duck slayer » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:43 pm

I allso bought alot of flambeau in my duck hunting years last years decoys had a bad paint problem mine were almost black at the end of the year. So I went to the feather light blow up decoys, are look in cabelas at the green head gear decoys they look good also. just rember any thing that is photo printed is going to work better those dang ducks just keep getting smarter and smarter every year.
IF IT FLYS IT DIES IF IT DONT FLY IT DIES ANYWAY
champion duck slayer
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:04 am

Flambaue is a good brand, but after a few years they seem to just wear out. As all decoys do. I personally perfer the greehead gear decoys. But that's just me. I started duck hunting over a doz flamb. MAGS.

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby puddlerjumper » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:26 am

can i not just repaint them?
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:42 pm

Yah you could... Alot of people do that, and it seems to work well.... :mrgreen:

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gotduck68415 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:01 pm

I hunt over 3 doz mallards, 1 doz teal, and a 1/2 doz woodies. Works in Nebraska, dont know if it works where you hunt.
Dont shoot where they have been, shoot where they are going.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Keith S. » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:04 pm

Where I hunt, the ducks really don't care what kind of ducks are on the water. I have a doz. flambeaus from 10+ years ago that hardly have any color to them, but the ducks don't seem to mind.

I had a discussion with a friend of mine about this, he said he read an article that some old timer paint his dekes all one color, his best day was when the dekes were bright orange. I just can't believe that. :eek:

The way I look at it, by the time they are close enough to see what color the dekes are, it's too late.
Keith S.
hunter

Postby take_em_iowa_ducks » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:15 pm

heres our puddler spred.........(and goose potholes mixed in)

2 doz mag G&H mallards
1 doz Flambeau Mag Mallards
1 doz G&H Green Wing Teal
1/2 doz G&H Standard Pintails
2 Flambeau woodies (just kinda aquired them while out hunting so we still throw them out for a tad bit different look)
2 Hen feeder butts
2 Robo Ducks (one drake one hen)
1 Air Lucky (drake)
1 Wonderduck (drake)
1 Shaker Mallard (drake)
1/2 G&H Honker Floaters
4 G&H Detachable Shell Honker Floaters

6 dozen +1 for total decoys

P.S. we dont awalys go full spread well acctually almost never like 1 or 2 times a year and thats if we decide its worth it. Usually hunt over 2-4 doz
take_em_iowa_ducks
take_em_iowa_ducks
hunter

Postby hoosier dhr » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:57 pm

All ducks will decoy into mallards!
leave it better than you found it!!!
Go Canes
hoosier dhr
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:19 pm

Keith S. wrote:I had a discussion with a friend of mine about this, he said he read an article that some old timer paint his dekes all one color, his best day was when the dekes were bright orange. I just can't believe that. :eek:

The way I look at it, by the time they are close enough to see what color the dekes are, it's too late.

Yeah I read they same thing in a book about goose hunting I couldn't belive it ether If its true then we are going about this decoy thing the wrong way :smile:
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby blvdsouldja » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:01 am

Yea i'll go with hoosier. When i hunted i used a dozen of mallards and a dozen of teal and it never really let me down.
blvdsouldja
hunter

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:32 pm

ALL DUCKS??
I didnt know all ducks landing in decoys period!!!
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:06 pm

Hey everyone, this year i will be spending most of my time hunting walk in spots on the illinois river... How does this spread sound?? 2 doz mallards, some having quiver magnets on them, 1 doz teal, 1/2 doz pintails, 1/2 doz woodies, 1 mojo duck and maybe 2 hover mallards.... I could use some input... thanks
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Postby hoosier dhr » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:40 pm

Ill-D,
give me an example (which ducks do u think dont)
leave it better than you found it!!!
Go Canes
hoosier dhr
hunter

public land hunter (I mean lots of hunters)

Postby duckmanwalking » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:13 am

I think it is best to watch the birds in your area at certain times and judge your spread by them. I’m a decoy-aholic and have more than my share of different species of coys. But the best tip I can give is to carry a can of white and dark-brown spray paint with you. You can quickly change a few green heads into shovlers by spraying their keels white and you can change some hen mallards into canvas, red heads or gadwals by coloring according. Works great for me. When I need to pull birds away from the other guy I pull out all the tricks. Birds can see the white from a long distance. (Happy hunting )
Hold it. No not yet. Hold it.....(Boom) Go ahead, take-em! (The way my brother calls the shots.)
duckmanwalking
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting