ground swattin'

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

ground swattin'

Postby vital_kill » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:41 pm

My friends and my brothers were hanging out at my brother's BBQ today and whe had discussion on ground swatting. Half said it was oaky, half said it was not sporting. One argument came up with is that why is it not okay to sploosh a duck when you can take a turkey out on the ground. Isn't it that same? Why not let the turkey take off and then fire a couple HD @ it? So what are your opinions? Me? I say if it flies, it dies, if it swims, it dies too, and if it lands, it's considered deader than dead. :hammer:
vital_kill
hunter

Postby clemaire2 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:01 am

ill skillit shoot with the best of them
clemaire2
hunter

Postby waterfowler9 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:29 am

I will only ground ducks that i have shot down and need to be finished off. I have ground swat ducks that swam into my spread but i guess i was not really proud of that :no: . If ducks swim in i usually scare them up and them shoot them. I dont really have an argument either way, some people may call it unethical.
waterfowler9
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:17 am

heres 7 pages, 162 replies and counting on the subject.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=48124
bluewing77
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:19 pm

bluewing77 wrote:heres 7 pages, 162 replies and counting on the subject.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=48124

Its about three posts up. And just for the record, I will cut every one that hits the water. :smile:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby rmh » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:38 pm

You know, I think the problem is that some of us are thinking of water or ground swatting as sneaking up on the roost and banging them there as opposed to having them come in to the decoys and missing a shot (or three) and finally finishing them off when they hit the water/ground.
2013 Totals
1 2003 Ford Focus (harvested by a 6 point whitetail)
1 1991 Chevy Lumina (harvested by a PT Cruiser)
rmh
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:37 pm

I posted on this subject the first time it came up. I say shooting them in the air is just premaurely ending the hunt. If they want to sit..let em' sit...saves shells and is no less sporting in my opinion. If they won't sit...then take them on the wing. It's all hunting....and I'm a much better shot when they are sitting still anyway :wink: .
Ringneck
hunter

Postby AAR » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:57 pm

I've often wondered the same. When a deer hunter grunts to stop a deer, or turkey hunter waits for him to be still, hard to see the difference between shooting a bird that has come into the decoys and landed. I could however see if your talking about shooting turkeys from the roost or ducks for that matter etc.

Eric

http://www.AliveAgainRecreations.com
--Specializing in Waterfowl & Upland Bird Taxidermy--
-----World/International/National/State Awards--------
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby mydogearl » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:03 am

not unethical at all, i personally hardly ever, ever do it just because it is more sporting to take them on wing. but i have no problem with it at all. killing them is killing them
mydogearl
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:22 am

This subject is just as lame as the first time around. I'm there to shoot ducks, I don't wear knickers and a bow tie. If they swim in or land before I can get on them, then I'll burn 'em right where they sit. They all taste the same...
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:48 pm

To me 90% of the experience is the scouting, calling, and decoying of birds. If you do your Job, and by the grace of God they land in your decoys, then fire away. Shooting them on the wing is a more challenging shot, but getting them to commit and land in the deeks I feel is just as challenging.

If it flies it dies and if it swims, it dies too.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby clemaire2 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:45 pm

i would much rather have some one ground swatting than sky blastting
clemaire2
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:53 pm

clemaire2 wrote:i would much rather have some one ground swatting than sky blastting

Amen to that :thumbsup:
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby addicted2duck » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:45 pm

If their dumb enough to land there, they are dumb enough to die there. Plus it does not bruse the meat that way.
addicted2duck
DHC Sponsor

Postby 1*DUCK » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:55 pm

The only time I will swat one on the water is if it's heading for the thick stuff after wounding it. There is no sport in hitting something that isn't flying..
1*DUCK
hunter

Postby Wld Fowl » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:56 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:To me 90% of the experience is the scouting, calling, and decoying of birds. If you do your Job, and by the grace of God they land in your decoys, then fire away. Shooting them on the wing is a more challenging shot, but getting them to commit and land in the deeks I feel is just as challenging.

If it flies it dies and if it swims, it dies too.

I agree. I am a hunter first and a sportsmen second. I make sure I have enough for the freezer first.

If they land that means I did everything right and the hunt went well. if they get just close enough to shoot on the wing that means I did almost everything right.

Ryan
Wld Fowl
hunter

Postby NCducker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:00 pm

when me and my buddies actually get a chance to hunt togather we would float the river. let the current move you along and when you come up on a group of ducks let them have it. most of the time the jump up. but some times they dont. but i actually think its almost harder to kill one off the water than in flight. josh
NCDucker
IF THEY OUTLAW GUNS THEN ONLY OUTLAWS WILL HAVE GUNS.
NCducker
hunter

Postby colemanhuntsducks » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:46 pm

i say game on if its legal
colemanhuntsducks
hunter

Postby wvboy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:29 am

Everyone is thinking about the wrong reasons to hunt. yea it s fun but if that is the only reason you hunt then you should rethink it. You hunt for meat just like when I was a little kid my dad had me go hunting even when I did not want to. We had to hunt to live and I can say that sometimes there was no sport at all in it. Like setting up on a right of way and blasting a big doe, they come out there every evening just wait 15 min and pull the trigger. water swating is just fine to me.
wvboy
hunter

Postby 20bolt » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:01 am

Here is my ground swatting story:

(there was no wind this day, and some telephone poles kind of threw off our spread)

1 week ago I was hunting geese. Early in the morning, two decoyed right in, but stopped short (about 40 yrds short) of the decoys (~60 yrds). I and my partner held off, got out our blinds to kick them up/move them out, not to kill them but to send them on our way and wait for another set, but the birds wouldn't go.

After screaming at the birds, throwing rocks, my partner yells, "&*^k it, you take the one on the left, I'll take the right." Well I didnt feel good about it, so I didnt shoot, and he took the top right off his bird.

Of course, mine flew away, (sort of)

20 minutes later a nice flock of 6 birds comes right over, banks, puts down landing gear....

From out of the blue, that goose I let live, shoots right though the bunch, honking the whole way, and scatters the group before we ever got a shot.

Later that day, when a pair landed behind us, there were no survivors.

:gatgun:
20bolt
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:25 pm

Ain't my thing. I don't care for it, and personally don't see it ethical. We let the kids do it because it keeps them excited...but if you are an adult, it is frowned upon.

It ain't too hard to hit a bird on the ground, no matter what kind it is.

However, it ain't illegal so ya'll do what you wish.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby The Cat Island Drake » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:31 pm

Shake ya head like this :yes:
There just ain't nothin' like a mornin' woody!
The Cat Island Drake
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 870 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:38 pm

I sat at the feet of some of the last market hunters and heard stories of back in the day. One o’l boy told me the best way to fill you order of Can’s was to let them swim in, then click two rocks together, then when they all ball up you let that ol’ 10 ga bark and blow channels right through them. So in keeping of our rich history about once a year I try to relive the past and see how many I can ground pond with one shot. My best to date is 5 Mallards. :yes:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby 20bolt » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:19 pm

My best to date is 5 Mallards.

:rolleyes:
That is somewhere between unethical and sinful.

I don't know if quoting old hunting practices as gospel is much of an argument. During population control seasons, I don't really see a problem with ground swatting (although its a last resort), but during regular seasons, I probably wouldn't ever ground swat.

Old time hunting techniques like buffalo runs, market hunting ducks, even (I bet I'll take alot of heat for this one) over whaling, almost drove those species to extinction.

Lets face it, none of us really hunts for survival, so at its face, hunting is really a sport. I get a real rush from blasting birds out of the air, but at best I feel melancholy about shooting a sitting bird. Just seems like a waste to me (unless its a nuisance season).
20bolt
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:40 pm

Whats it matter if its a nuisance season or not. If you dont get satisfaction out of it dont do it. Nothing makes me happier than a dead bird closer to the limit so I will. To each his own. :thumbsup:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting