YOUTUBE VIDEOS!!

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

YOUTUBE VIDEOS!!

Postby honknquackwhacker23 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Everyone check out my YouTube videos! Not the best but not bad for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQC_l ... QxhubX3hWw
honknquackwhacker23
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: YOUTUBE VIDEOS!!

Postby AvianAddict » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:03 pm

Post a link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AvianAddict
hunter

Postby honknquackwhacker23 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:02 pm

AvianAddict wrote:Post a link.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQC_l ... QxhubX3hWw
honknquackwhacker23
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:57 pm

Just watched the Columbia River vid.
Couple of suggestions: duck hunting is more than killing. A video comprised of only kill shots gets boring for me after about a minute. Watch one of Freelance Duck Hunting's videos. He includes the viewer in the hunt; it's about the people, the dogs, the places, the slow times, the problems and the laughter every memorable hunt is made of. Copy, if you can, the format of his vids and you'll have far more subscribers.
Last edited by mudpack on Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:02 pm

mudpack wrote:Just watched the Columbia River vid.
Couple of suggestions: duck hunting is more than killing. A video comprised of only kill shots gets boring after about a minute. Watch one of Freelance Duck Hunting's videos. He includes the viewer in the hunt; it's about the people, the dogs, the places, the slow times, the problems and the laughter every memorable hunt is made of. Copy, if you can, the format of his vids and you'll have far more subscribers.

As much as it pains me to say this, what you said is 100% incorrect.

The youtube community wants kill shots and fast action. Just look at the view numbers.

I'd rather watch FDH myself, but an overwhelming majority of views go to other videos with rap or metal music blaring, 14 angles of the kill shot, and pumping whatever company will pay you to slap their name on the side of the truck mommy and daddy bought.
Sometimes I think...
'Do I really want a beer?'
Then I remember there's a supervolcano under Yellowstone that is 40,000 years overdue, and when it erupts, it could potentially cover most of North America... and I'm like,
F YEAH I WANT A BEER!
~Gunny
goldfish
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:24 pm

Couple of suggestions: duck hunting is more than killing. A video comprised of only kill shots gets boring after about a minute. Watch one of Freelance Duck Hunting's videos. He includes the viewer in the hunt; it's about the people, the dogs, the places, the slow times, the problems and the laughter every memorable hunt is made of. Copy, if you can, the format of his vids and you'll have far more subscribers.

Big fan of FDH. Fun videos, and very realistic to public land hunting. They seem like guys I'd want to hunt with.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:56 am

goldfish wrote:The youtube community wants kill shots and fast action. Just look at the view numbers.

Hmmmm....view numbers for the OP's "kill shot" duck hunting vids = just under 500. View numbers for FDH's "reality hunt" duck hunting vids = just under 5000.
Ten to one ratio in favor of FDH. Real duck hunters prefer it, I'd say.

Sorry, goldfish, I'm just looking at the numbers. :biggrin:
Last edited by mudpack on Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:55 am

mudpack wrote:
goldfish wrote:The youtube community wants kill shots and fast action. Just look at the view numbers.

Hmmmm....view numbers for the OP's "kill shot" duck hunting vids = just under 500. View numbers for FDH's "reality hunt" duck hunting vids = just under 5000.

Really?

https://youtu.be/97KWffEQWzk blows away fdh's numbers

https://youtu.be/JdqXKZckmWQ blows away fdh's numbers

https://youtu.be/AoQztDOEPHkblows away fdh's numbers

Need I continue?

Like I said, I would much rather watch freelance over "A.D.D. brosef hardcore hunting", but the numbers tell a different story for the majority of youtubers
Sometimes I think...
Then I remember there's a supervolcano under Yellowstone that is 40,000 years overdue, and when it erupts, it could potentially cover most of North America... and I'm like,
F YEAH I WANT A BEER!
~Gunny
goldfish
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:08 am

The Freelance Duck Hunting videos were new to me, and I watched a few of them. Seem like the kind of guys you'd want to hunt with, but with birds as hard to come by as theirs appear, it would eat this dog lover's lunch to have poor Izzy along running them off.

Best thing that came of this thread for me was sparking my curiosity over what veteran waterfowling videographer Freddie King's been up to:

Some "behind the scenes" setup, healthy doses of banter between friends, plenty of nice dog work and, most important to this viewer, lots and lots of working bird footage. King did a jam-up job of taking me along on a hunt I'm glad I didn't miss, which is what I hope hunting video will do.

Tyrel, I can't stand anything shot through a Go-Pro's fishy eye, but if you're serious about sharing your hunts, don't let us discourage you. Keep at it, everyone has to start somewhere.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:44 pm

goldfish wrote:Really?

First link: shows birds working, dogs working, people working, and situations
Second link: shows people in hunting situations, calling, and places
Third link: shows people in hunting situations, birds working, calling

They are not what I would classify as"kill shot" videos, although there were plenty of kill shots in them; they were a lot more inclusive. That's why they have six figure viewer numbers instead of <500. I think they rather support my position on videos, rather than dispute it, don't you?

Rick Hall wrote:Tyrel, I can't stand anything shot through a Go-Pro's fishy eye, but if you're serious about sharing your hunts, don't let us discourage you. Keep at it, everyone has to start somewhere.
I hope Tyrel wasn't discouraged by my post; it was meant to be constructive advice for improving his work.
Last edited by mudpack on Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:22 pm

I think we could probably argue those videos both ways with plenty of examples to support each of us.

I think we both agree we like the whole story about a hunt though, and it's possible to include that plus kill shots. But I don't know if that might actually hurt numbers because you'll have that thing that everyone doesn't like in your videos, just depends on what that thing is.

But, to the OP, very short go pro videos are fun to remember the hunt for who was there, but isn't very cinematic for the casual youtuber. It all just depends on what you're looking to do.
Sometimes I think...
F YEAH I WANT A BEER!
~Gunny
goldfish
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:48 pm

goldfish wrote:But, to the OP, very short go pro videos are fun to remember the hunt for who was there, but isn't very cinematic for the casual youtuber. It all just depends on what you're looking to do.

I can agree with that; kill shot vids may bring back memories for the maker, but they don't have much value for the rest of us as they do for the videoer.
Last edited by mudpack on Mon May 08, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby chasemukluk » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:50 pm

Couple of suggestions: duck hunting is more than killing. A video comprised of only kill shots gets boring for me after about a minute. Watch one of Freelance Duck Hunting's videos. He includes the viewer in the hunt; it's about the people, the dogs, the places, the slow times, the problems and the laughter every memorable hunt is made of. Copy, if you can, the format of his vids and you'll have far more subscribers.

Mudpack. You can't compare a guys # of views on one of his first videos that was just posted, to a different guys video who has thousands of subscribers (built up over 2 years). Of course he has more views.

Now, I agree, I prefer to see the hunt and maybe learn something, or at least feel like I am along with them. Making one highlight video using limited content is a good way to start a channel.

Now, I have three duck hunting videos on my channel and they were all posted around the same time. The one with the most views, is the kill shot video. In fact, 6 times as many views. That's not my favorite of the three, but it does seem to get more action.

To the OP, keep creating and sharing content!

Here is my channel. A lot of deer hunting type stuff right now, but I will be filming my duck hunts this upcoming season. Vlog style. And I will also create a highlight video at the end of the year.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCZECAve9JnYGCq_MUTzicjw

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
chasemukluk
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:16 am

chasemukluk wrote:Mudpack. You can't compare a guys # of views on one of his first videos that was just posted, to a different guys video who has thousands of subscribers (built up over 2 years). Of course he has more views.
You are talking to the wrong guy, chase.
I wasn't the one who suggested view numbers as a means of grading the appeal of a video....goldfish was. I was merely pointing out some of the aspects of the vids I prefer.

BTW, which of your vids is your favorite?
mudpack
hunter

Postby d_valle_ » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:10 pm

goldfish wrote:
mudpack wrote:

Really?

Need I continue?

Like I said, I would much rather watch freelance over "A.D.D. brosef hardcore hunting", but the numbers tell a different story for the majority of youtubers

There is a lot more that is behind those videos having numbers that "blow away" another persons videos. One kid has 250k subscribers. He could post a video of grass growing, and get more views than even the best videos that most guys with 5k subs.

Ongaro's video is really somewhat of an anomaly for them. They actually average lower than FDH's numbers. They have many videos of 40/40 hunts (40 ducks, 40 geese) and plenty of hunts of over 100 snow geese and not all their videos get even a 10th of the views of that single video.

The Hardcore video again is another beast. It's Hardcore. They have a decent sized social media presence and are a known brand in the industry. They have resources to push views to their videos.

With that said, like Mudpack said, those aren't really the best videos because they aren't JUST kill shots. If you look at the short kill montage videos from most of those guys, they don't get many views. Viewers love interaction and entertainment. They also love to watch people that are skilled at something. If you're getting a good number of birds, it shows that you are good at what you do. People like to feel like they are there with you, experiencing what you experienced.

It's hard to really compare anyone videos to another persons videos. Everyone has different style, different diversity of followers, different camera equipment, ect. I also don't think it's fair to make those comparisons, even though I find myself comparing my own content with that of others. For people that make videos, comparison is a motivation killer. For viewers, comparison can mean you miss out on a lot of quality content because we try to equate number of views with quality of video.
d_valle_
hunter

Postby goldfish » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:51 pm

One thing I will compare, and judge you for, is a click bait title. I refuse to watch click bait titled videos.
Sometimes I think...
F YEAH I WANT A BEER!
~Gunny
goldfish
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:29 am

d_valle_ wrote:Ongaro's video is really somewhat of an anomaly for them. They actually average lower than FDH's numbers. They have many videos of 40/40 hunts (40 ducks, 40 geese) and plenty of hunts of over 100 snow geese and not all their videos get even a 10th of the views of that single video.

I'd think a lot of that would be folks like me who'll be more likely to be curious about something with numbers suggesting good video, then avoid then avoid others from channels that disappoint - while still providing the unintended recommendation of my one more view's incentive for the next guy to check out something that disappoints.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby chasemukluk » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:41 pm

mudpack wrote:
chasemukluk wrote:Mudpack. You can't compare a guys # of views on one of his first videos that was just posted, to a different guys video who has thousands of subscribers (built up over 2 years). Of course he has more views.
You are talking to the wrong guy, chase.
I wasn't the one who suggested view numbers as a means of grading the appeal of a video....goldfish was. I was merely pointing out some of the aspects of the vids I prefer.

BTW, which of your vids is your favorite?

My apologies, I thought you did.

Of my 3 duck videos I like Late Season Action Day 1. Tells the whole story of the day, left the house at like 145am, got to the launch around 5am, got a couple kills on video. It was the first time I really had a camera with us for a decent hunt. My favorite hunt of the year was from Day 3 of that weekend. The action camera stopped working, but it was a great day in the blind. It was snowing too hard to get any footage with my phone camera as everything was soaked. I think I have one or two short videos from that morning, in Late Season Action Day 2 & 3.

A few things I will try to do different next year. 1. Talk to the camera a little more after we shoot or call at a flock. Not necessarily to put it in the video, but so I at least would have the content if needed. 2. Get some better video of our set up. 3. Get some more video of my dad. Especially of the fact that he is never in the damn blind. Always walking around. Can't sit still. I shot two limits on that last weekend in three days, and he was never in the blind to shoot. 4. I upgraded to a better action camera. I won't be shooting in that wide view, so the quality of birds working should be a little improved. But, we may not get as many on camera. 5. Just get better with the camera and getting some good footage. This will only be my 4th year waterfowl hunting, and first full year filming. So my ultimate goal is to keep learning something new.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
chasemukluk
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon May 08, 2017 8:47 pm

chasemukluk wrote:My apologies, I thought you did.

Apology accepted, chase.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting