TEAL DECOY SPREAD

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

TEAL DECOY SPREAD

Postby MICAH » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:19 am

OUR TEAL SEASON STARTS SEPT 18 IN GA. I NEED HELP WITH A DECOY SPREAD. WE ARE HUNTING ABOUT A 150 ACRE POND WITH SOM SHALLOW WATER. WE MOSTLY KILL RING NECKS ON THE BODY OF WATER BUT WE HAVE BEEN SEEING SOME TEAL IN THE LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS. WE HAVE MALLARD, TEAL, COOT, AND RING NECK DECOYS PLUS A MOJO MALLARD. I THINK I SHOULD LEAVE THE RING NECKS AT HOME. ALSO THERE IS ALWAYS A CHANCE TO SHOT HONKERS AND WOULD LIKE TO HAVE SOME CANADA DECOYS IN GUN RANGE. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.

THANKS
MICAH
hunter

Postby 20gauge24 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:04 pm

well looks like youre going to have some great luck
The worst duck hunt is the best day of work.
20gauge24
hunter

Postby WIUPgamer » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:33 pm

I've heard Teal like to be near Geese. I hunt with a long time waterfowl hunter that works on a tourist steam railroad. He is a brakeman so he gets to ride on the back alot and they don't go too fast. This past summer he has noticed the Teal in the ponds along the track mingle with the geese even when there are other puddle ducks on the ponds. We set up our spreads to reflect this on the Michigan opener and it seemed to work.
WIUPgamer
hunter

Postby NewEng-duckhntr » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:19 am

I only have a mallard decoy spread, and only a dozen at that. What I do is only use the hen decoys for the early teal season. The reason is that when I lived in the south, the mallards were not quite in full plumage so the drakes didn't quite have all of their green feathers on their heads yet. The brown hens were a bit more realistic I think for that time of year and I consistently brought in the Teal. Matter of fact, sometimes I'd find them swimming in and amongst my decoys if I didn't actually see them come in (they're fast and quiet little buggers).
NewEng-duckhntr
hunter

Postby jeremy adams » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:33 am

I agree with newenglandduckhunter. no green heads. but teal like to be in big flocks try lots of decoys but they ningnecks are fine i hunt over 80 coots 30 necks and 30 hen mallards. some times i will through out 24 teal if the teal are around but put them on the out side or the back of the spread. they will come . you need a teal call. it will help out a lot.
shotem in the head not shotem til there dead!
jeremy adams
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting