competive calling contests

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

competive calling contests

Postby bushwacking » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:05 pm

anybody ever do a calling contest?
quack quack boom

bushwacking
bushwacking
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:24 pm

Not yet....but I plan on giving it a shot next year.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Bret » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:33 am

yes!

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:53 pm

how when where, what do you do exactly?
phillipstd
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:41 pm

You play your duck call like an instrument and not like you are calling ducks. It would be fun if you would like to do it, but I just think there is a big difference between competitive calling and calling ducks. :mrgreen:
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby phillipstd » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:06 pm

well I know that and I know you blow a routine showing your range and everything, but is there standers to go by or anything, I mean I know the standard comp call but is there rules
phillipstd
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:06 pm

You are right. In a contest you are not seeing who the best "duck caller" is because you're not calling at ducks, rather you are competing over who is the better "duck call operator".
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Bret » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:05 pm

Sorry it took so long to reply. duck season opened three weeks ago here and I am acting accordingly.

Calling ducks is interactive you are playing on their movements hopefully munipulating them in to coming in for a sit down.

Calling judges is another game completely. You have 90 seconds to convince them you are the best call operator there that day. That is hard because there are a lot of good callers out there, and almost anyone of them can win on any given day.
The game basically goes like this
1. hail the birds ...... get their attention from a distance.
2. Greet them..... say hello make them feel content
3. give them some feed while they circle
4. lose them ....bring them back
basically go through 2-3 again then ....
5. lay 'em down finish them.

main street style contests you have to ring the call in your hail and comeback... meat style ussually you can not, but I think most of them follow that type of fomat. the trick is to run that in a rutine that has flow and is technically correct, and smooth in transition thoughout. Every note must be in its place and perfect to come out on top in a mainstreet comp.

If you think it is easy like I thought it would be when I started give it a go. It is by far the toughest thing to do that I have ever done that is outdoor related. I work at it every day and will continue until I acheive my goals.( or my wife leaves :toofunny: what ever comes first.)

The people involved in this game are some of the best around. So far for me that has been the best part. I am happy to answer any questions you have if I know the answer.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:11 pm

ok this much I pretty much allready knew, so your routine has to go like that, nobody varies? it's 90 seconds, always? where and when do they have these I would like to go watch and see how good people are around here, I guess my cousins huntin buddy got second place in washington one year, cloke ? his dad trians dogs and they goose hunt in my grandparants feild sometimes cus its in there back yard, I should give him a call I guess. see if he's still doin it.
phillipstd
hunter

Postby Bret » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:12 am

Washington state is usually the first part of the summer like May- june I think keep your eye open for it. I think it is at the Washington waterfowl festival. I don't know if all contests are 90 seconds but everyone I have been in watched or heard about has been. In mainstreet calling the rutine is pretty much set there are small style variations in everyones rutine, but nothing major. If you try changing something major in that style of comp you will most likely be watching the rest of the contest from the crowd.
I think Troy Taylor has done well up there Robert Strong , and Able Cortina these guys have all won in recent years. You have some very good callers up there. Get in on it.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:44 pm

Ill have to start praticing a routine and go and see how bad I suck, I usually don't compete in stuff unless I'm sure that I'm at least going to be compettitive though, it usually sucks pretty bad to get laughed at.
phillipstd
hunter

Postby Bret » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:33 pm

I don't recall anyone ever getting laughed at at a comp for being inexperienced. The last place caller with hard work is tomorrows champ. Every one on that stage started at the bottom. Good luck! I hope you enjoy it. Keep us posted as to how it all goes.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby toddbntly » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:45 pm

Hey Bret,

I am also wanting to start entering calling contests. What is the best place to find out where they are held, and how to enter? Sure appreciate all the help!
toddbntly
hunter

Postby Bret » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:50 pm

Try www.callingducks.com that site is loaded with info on the comp game.

Good luck,

Bret
Bret
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum