Feeding call...Info please..

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

Feeding call...Info please..

Postby Digital » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:20 pm

I need work on my feeding call, I can blow "tugga-tugga-tugga-tugga" ok, but how in the heck do they get it super fast so it's like/similar to the Feed call here;

http://www.ducks.org/waterfowling/calli ... g_tips.asp

Thanks,
Digital
hunter

Postby QuackWacker08 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:06 pm

I had the same problem, you get tongue tied real easy?? Just say it everywhere you go.....tikka-tikka-tikka, or whatever your word is. The more you say it the faster you get. May take a week, may take a month, I dont know, but just keep saying it over and over and youll get it. You dont even have to have a call. Just when youre bored, or remember, say it out loud. Caution: May get wierd looks while in the presence of others!
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby athomeruddy » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:32 pm

keep saying like quackwacker suggestyed, however you can also say other words that may flow easier. DIGGA DIGGA worked for me when i first started. Also, do it slow, sepperate the DIG A and pretty soon you'll notice you can speed that sucker up!
athomeruddy
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:25 pm

I have to agree with you guys. That is how I learned to get mine that fast. Ruddy is right on the $ with seperating the 2 sounds tug a . Good luck and keep practicing. :salude: :salude: :salude:
Dont shoot where they have been, shoot where they are going.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BLUE DUCK » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:07 pm

Before u try to learn that call it would be a good idea to see if the mallards ur hunting actually make that sound. I've been listening to wild mallards on the water for the past two weeks and ive yet to hear them make a "feeding" call. Ive heard very FEW quacks. Mostly FOUR note calls. VERY soft four note calls. Listen to ur ducks and do what they do :thumbsup:
"Shoot it man. Shoot it in the head."
BLUE DUCK
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:53 pm

i agree with blue duck. Also, a mallard feeding call on water is different than when they are flying. Speed "chatter" is alot more for competition. My feeding call is a mixture of small chatter with varied notes. Nothing you would win a contest with, but trophies don't put mallards on the water. I can do the fast feeding call, but it is mainly for competition and fun.
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby T-MAN » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:39 am

For me, i usually use a sound like a kid doing a "macine gun"
:thumbsup:
With a really raspy call, this works pretty good :smile:
T-MAN
hunter

Okiequackers feeding call............is there a recording?

Postby ourtlc40 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:22 pm

My feeding call is a mixture of small chatter with varied notes

I know that ducks.org has all kinds of calls on it but is the small chatter with varied notes just learn from years or does someone have a basic recording of this??

Trying to learn as fast as I can! lol

Deano

PS................OkieQuacker, thanks for the reply on the OKLA forum.
Newbie north of Tulsa!
OURTLC40
ourtlc40
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:13 am

no problem....i'll try and make a recording of what i'm talking about on the chatter with varied notes...this is best done with a arkansas style single reed call. It is to try and sound like different ducks on the water all at the same time....later
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Citori12 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:37 am

I rarely use a feeding chuckle anyway. But practice makes perfect.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby hatchie » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:33 pm

If you are wanting a hunting feed call, try the cut feed. It goes something like tic tic....tic tic...tic a... tug a....tic a...tug a. All this is done much slower than the compatition rolling feed. The cut feed will do just fine for killing ducks. The rolling feed is used to sound like many ducks at the same time. Don't get me wrong, keep trying to learn this rolling feed, but you can kill as many ducks as you want with the cut feed, and it's very simple to use. Good Hunting!
If you started getting ready for Duck Season in October,..You are 9 months behind us here at Southern Flight Outfitters! Southernflight.net
hatchie
hunter

Postby MrsJumpshooter » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:12 pm

You can also try sounds like a baby makes like ga ga ga or da da da in small amounts 3-5 after each set move you had just a little bit and it will help to sound like more ducks... that is also now as the single cluck feeder call it can be done on both a doubble and a single reed call. with the ticka ticka (double cluck feeder call) it is more of a comp call the faster you get on the doubble cluck the better with compition calling. the ducks up here wont respond to that call. but they will to the single cluck.

Hopes that it helps you..

another word that you can use for the doubble cluck is dicka dicka. It helps me to put my toung in the right place and it is easer to sererate the words and the faster you can go.
I hunt it, Therfore I cook it too!
MrsJumpshooter
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:32 am

i say ticka ticka ticka, but ticka tucka tacka will help make it faster. Its hard but kiddy kiddy kiddy is good to.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Original talker » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:16 pm

The feeder call is really a series of short clucks. The feeder that some of these guys are talking about (Ticka tucka and so on) is more for impressing judges not ducks. Its profound I know. If you have two or more guys cluking you can get away with a third guys doing a rolling feed call, but usually ducks won't repond in a favorable way to this call even in a corn field or other feeding area. If you can say the word "Shook or Cook," you can make a cluck type of sound which when put it back to back like Shook, shook .........shook you can make the real sounds that ducks make when they are feeding or just content to be somewhere. Alot of times when the they fly over they will go cook,cook,cook but they are quacks they are shorter then that so you just simply cluck bakc. And by changing the rhythm and pitch you can really fool them into thinking you are having a party down here and they should join you. Anyway good luck practice is the only thing that will make it perfect.
Original talker
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:00 pm

does anyone realize what a feed call is for? ya'll are seem to bash the double cut, when it doesnt even matter double or single. really the only reason for a feed call is to keep intouch or connected with the ducks while they are circling on the sides and behind you or when they are puttin the landin gear down. its the filler between when the get on the corners and you blow greeters or lonsome hens. basically its there so that it theres no unnatural silence. cus i know one thing you dont hear is a big bunch of mute ducks on the water. so double cut or single cut it doesnt matter. which ever you do is not that big of a deal.
and hatchie, you got it its supposed to sound like a bunch of ducks on the water, you are trying to sound like more than one duck. so obviouly you are going to do something a duck doesnt do. just like the hail call, can ducks do it, hell no, but does it work, hell yea it does. and yes i realize you only hear that call when ducks are in the air, but that is a single duck, not a whole big bunch of em.
and all because its double cut doesnt mean its a competition call. a double cut doesnt have to be this machine gun rapid fire stuff. it can be slowed down a bit and mixed in short bursts with single cut and quacks.
and why, even if it is a competition call, should it matter,
"o thats just a stage call to impress judges" did this come from the duck commander bible or somethin. is this just some way of validating not being able to do that. everybody bashes comp callers. and i dont see why, those are the guys who can "really" call ducks. they know their tool and use it to the fullest extent
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby Original talker » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:26 pm

Duck Crazy,
Since you are from LA you should know all about the Commander. I think you are not reading between the lines. The double cut when strung together does not, will not and shall not ever sound like real ducks. The double cut mixed in with clucks and quacks sounds more like real ducks on the water. That is what I tried to say. I have always used it in combination with clucks and quacks with some kind of rhythm and it works fine up here in Washington State. Maybe you boys down in LA see it differently. Good luck.
Original talker
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:45 pm

i am sorry i miss interpreted what you were trying to say. i absolutly agree with you that double cut by itself drawn out sounds horrible, that is not ducky. no matter where you go, washington, louisiana, or missouri, it will never sound ducky.

and ya i cant stand the commander, i believe his calls are junky, i mean theres a reason his calls are $10.

i wish you luck as well :thumbsup:
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby Get'em » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:50 pm

i have found while hunting up here in montana the ducks dont do the feed call while sitting they do it while circling the decoys or just flying by also i have noticed that once they start there call they usually will be looking to land.
Get'em
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:54 am

Ducks have never and will not ever make the feed call when flying. And unless you are hunting grain fields or other food sourses It's the last call you need anyway. I think too much attention has been directed at the "feed call" and if I had to give up one of the calls I'm able to make it would be the feed call. Duck crazy mentioned it used as a filler call and thats what I use it for. When you are working birds to the end of the gun barrel and you need some soft language to keep them coming. Most of us are not hunting birds that are looking for food, if that was the case our hunts would be over by 8:30 a.m. We are looking for birds with a full belly and that want a place to loaf, and that's what our spread is supposed to represent a flock of loafing, contented birds.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:15 pm

certainly, you hear ducks make that chatter in the air while circling, but that cant be a feed call, theres no food 20 yrds up in the air. so it could quite possibly be a call they make when the get excited.
but look at it this way, this is all interpretation, we have no idea what each call they make really means. do they feed on the water, do they feed in the air, is it just the single cut or do they double cut. it really doesnt matter. Bottom line is it works. Thousands of ducks decoy while guys are blowing the feed. double and single cuts. if it aint broke dont fix it. IF you want to use the feed call then do it, if you dont want to the dont.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby Lurcher » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:53 pm

One thing i have found with the double cut chuckle on single reed calls is that it is a lot easier to do fast on some calls than others, and I guess call tuning also plays a part. If you have a call that won't support a fast chuckle you will always struggle.

I never use it in the field
Lurcher
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:03 pm

i use a ticka sound and follow the chuckle with a low raspy quuaacckk. if they are landed already out of range try a whining or moaning come back call but slower,quieter and shorter. qquuaaacckk....quack..quack..quack. works everytime for me they fly right to me!
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby woodduckhunter » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:35 pm

I have killed 53 mallards this year.(36 drakes and 17 hens) Along with tons of gadwalls, bluebills, and woodies. A total of probably over 200 ducks, and have not used one feeding call
woodduckhunter
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:54 pm

after raising some "wild" mallards i found a few years back after the mother died i can tell you what the feeding call might be. yes, it is when they are excited or find some food. i gave them nightcrawlers and they made a loud chuckle letting the others know there was something really good over here. i also heard it when they were getting in the mating mood. so i guess that chuckle sound high in the air tells the flock this looks like a good place to land or eat. plus the feeding chuckle can call in all ducks not just mallards. it is a call i reccomend if you want them to decoy and use it with a sprig whistle for sprig.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:59 pm

woodduckhunter wrote:I have killed 53 mallards this year.(36 drakes and 17 hens) Along with tons of gadwalls, bluebills, and woodies. A total of probably over 200 ducks, and have not used one feeding call

you are probably in a good waterfowl area where they actually work. where i hunt i see maybe a few flocks all day and if you don't call they fly off in the distance. the birds don't work much in my area but when they come close they usually circle out of range until i hit the call. a loan hen call with a feeding chuckle and a hail call when flying off. if they are close and cupped i stop calling. if they land i do a moaning/whining call which works everytime!
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Next

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum