Duck Hunting Forum banner

arkansas vs illinois (calls)

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Trois_beaux_canards 
#1 ·
ok what is the main differance
i have been hunting for severl years now but maily geese so never had or needed a "nice " duck call. starting to do more and more duck hunting ... just wanted to knwo what is the differance between arkansas vs illinois syle duck calls .. or any other ... main think i am looking for is "what is good about an arkansas stype call over others?" thanks again and sorry it wasn;t very clear at first

#4 ·
Well I've never heard of an Ill. style

Here's what I can tell you:

Arkansas style is a one piece stopper...in other words the tone board, and wedge/cork and bell end are all one piece

Reelfoot calls are much the same, except it uses a metal reed

Lousiana style call uses a sound board with a wedge that isnt part of the toneboard

Most lousiana calls are double reeds....most not all

reelfoots are hard to tune since its accomplished by bending the reed

that leaves the Arkansas style......its a simple design

If I were in the market for a good duck call...it would be an arkansas style

#7 ·
An illinois style might be just about any call consisting of a barrel, stopper and internal reed assembly. The first such call of this kind is believed to be made in Illinois by a man named Frank Allen, in 1863. The difference between his and most modern calls appears to be a metal reed.
This is just a hunch, so don't take these words as gospel.

#8 ·
Winglock calls might be considered an "illinois" style of calls...being that is where they are made. not sure on that though. that being said, i know that they do use Echo inserts in their wood/poly calls..and Echo is an Arky call. so who knows.

ok..that post was useless. lol.

#10 ·
Swamp Puppy said:
Winglock calls might be considered an "illinois" style of calls...being that is where they are made. not sure on that though. that being said, i know that they do use Echo inserts in their wood/poly calls..and Echo is an Arky call. so who knows.

ok..that post was useless. lol.
lol :spam:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.