RNT Timbre vs. Short Barrell

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

RNT Timbre vs. Short Barrell

Postby Humboldt Scaup » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:24 pm

Can any RNT users help me decide between the timbre and the short barrell. Im not looking for volume, just good ducky sounds to finish them off. Lots of lonesome hens and a lot of chuckling. Either way its gonna be wood.
The ducks are right there. Where? Right there. Where? OHHHH they're right there.

I think the ducks will be better off flying straight.
Humboldt Scaup
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:39 am

RNT double reed. Or any softer double reed works well
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Bret » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:13 pm

either way would do. I like the short barrel, but if you can blow them both and decide for yourself. They are both nice calls especially in wood.

make mine Bois D Ark. :yes:

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby hatchie » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:24 pm

If you want more grawl in your call you will most likely like the Timbre. I prefer the Short Barrel or the Dasiy Cutter. Like RNT says...If you can drive it, Game Over! All jokes aside if you can learn to blow a highend single reed duck call, you will be able to make more duck vocals than you ever dreamed. Gook luck with your selection. :thumbsup:
If you started getting ready for Duck Season in October,..You are 9 months behind us here at Southern Flight Outfitters! Southernflight.net
hatchie
hunter

Postby Wild Wings 1 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:25 am

I've got a short barrel and the thing keeps sticking! It sounds great when it doesn't stick but MAN, a call that sticks really pisses me off when they get in close! Any advise?
Wild Wings 1
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:42 pm

most rnts IMO stick alot. Ive got an DC and a SB they both are prone to sticking, its not just me, i've talked to alot of people that say they have this problem, maybe we all just are spitters, im not sure, but... i have heard people tell me that if u go up to the RNT shop and get butch or somebody to tweek the call a little bit, it'll be great and won't stick much anymore.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby athomeruddy » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:35 am

Sounds like the timbre would be your best bet, however i am a SB and DC blower and they work well for the same type of calling.
athomeruddy
hunter

Postby Original talker » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:51 pm

I blow the original, my best buddy blows the short barrell. Because it is a shorter barrell it takes less air to make it work. It is hard to get used to but once you do it gets a growly low end sound. We have found that I call at them when they are further away and he finishes them off with the short barrell. The Timbre call is a combanation of both with a high end and a deadly low end as well. The short barrell may be the call you want if you hunt ponds. The call that you probably should get is the Daisy Cutter. It is a little raspier then the timbre. If you can't get the sound out of it then maybe you should look at a double reed, like the quackhead. As far as wood goes, it gets cold where I live and hunt, and my duck commander always would sound different in the field when it got cold, so I went to the acrylic and I will never own another wood call again. If you are serious about calling then you will end up with an acrylic anyway. Good luck.
Original talker
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum