RNT Original or Quackhead J frame

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

RNT Original or Quackhead J frame

Postby Duck Attack » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:40 pm

I got on the RNT site and did the call selector and it always tell me that I am looking for the Original. On the page that lets you listen it sounds pretty much teh same as the Quackhead J frame. The RNT is $100 more. ANyone have any experience with these 2 calls and if so what do you think? Is the $ worth it? I hunt sloughs and timber and looking for a good all around call.
Duck, Duck, Goose
Duck Attack
hunter

Postby Bret » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:22 pm

the original is a pretty good all around call. Is worth $125 or whatever? well you will have to decide that. Go blow one and see what you think. That isn't what you want to hear probably, but that is the best answer I can give you have to see for yourself.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby blake7 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:31 pm

first of all the calls are made of two totaly diff materials! the j frame is a poly call= machine moled plastic while the original is machined from one piece of soild acrylic. the original will give you different sound that you can not produce out of the j frame the size of your wallet will determine what call you get! your best bet is to go out to bps cabelas whatever and blow call untill you find one that suits you! as for where you hunt you probly dont need a call as loud as say an rnt original. i would suggest a short barrel, daisy cutter, or a timbre all are very soft rasppy call that are great for small waters and timber. if you have and ?s please feel free to pm me!
CUTT THEM JACKS!!!! - Phil Robertson
blake7
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:36 am

I got a J frame...easy ta blow....sounds good. Kinda loud for me though. Just picked up a Flextone double reed Guide Series. The quackhead is now backup to the backup :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby cinrds » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:21 am

I had a cheap cheap HS call but it was a good place to start. When I saw the J-frame in the local Wal-mart, last year I called RNT and ask them about it. (They were really really nice and very helpfull. YOU SHOULD GIVE THEM A CALL AND TALK WITH THEM ABOUT THE CALLS).

The J-farme is based on the Org. Sound is going to be a little different because it is polly and not wood or arc. Polly is a lot cheaper to use, and it still blows wet and cold. Same reed though.

It is loud which is ok for me I will be in some open fileds. To off set it I am going to get a Quackhead timber. I love the price under 25.00 and I easy to find at any Wal-Mart. They are really easy to blow and I like the sound I get for the single reed, and they now also have it in double reed.

I went cheaper because I am new to waterfowling and needed to get other things like dekes, waders, new gun, a dog, boat would benice also but down the road. Still working on the dog, wife is not sure why I need to spend that much for a dog. (She didn't have pets growing up so was never really a thought to her. $600.00 for a gun is ok $300.00 for a dog and she almost passed out.)

If you can, go and hear the differ. and see if the price is worth it to you. I just took a change and went with a name. I though RNT would not put out crap and I fell they didn't .
cinrds
hunter

Postby Original talker » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:26 pm

I have an Original. I love it, takes a little gettin used to but I am finding that my best buddy blows the short barrell and his call is designed to finish ducks where as the original is to get there attention. I have finished over 100 ducks so far with thte original this year but I sure like the lower end of the short barrell. The DC is kind of the best of both worlds, volume and a realistic low end. As far as the quack head version of it, I am not sure but I know that not one time has the original not performed well in the field and the Poly carb calls I've owned before have given me problems especially in the really cold weather. I say spend the extra money and get something that is proven. Good luck.
Original talker
hunter

Postby cinrds » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:08 am

Hay just to let everyone know. I leave my calls in my car so I can practice as I drive down the road. The other day it was zero went and warmed up my car I pulled out may calls(I now have a quackhead timber 15.00 on ebay) they both blew great.
Jesus replied, "I am the bread of life. No one who comes to me will ever be hungry again. Those who believe in me will never thirst. John 6:35
cinrds
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum