Calling Question

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

Calling Question

Postby kfran1234 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:23 pm

I'm new to calling and hunting over dekes. The other day, I was hunting a river from the shore. A pair of mallards were across the river out of range. What is the best strategy to use in a situation like this? I tried some various calls, all of which they were oblivious to. They totally ignored me and I ended up watching them swim around until sunset.
kfran1234
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:07 am

Sucks doesn't it? LOL
If they don't wanna swim your way they ain't coming no matter what you say or do. I would think that they saw something that they didn't like. Since they sat down relatively close I would guess it wasn't too big of a deal but something made them not want to sit with your ducks. May have been something was over there that they wanted, shelter from wind, food source, break in the current. Or it could have been something in your rig, lifeless decoys, movement in the blind, etc. In my experience, if they sit down across from you out of range they aren't gonna swim in to you. Now if they sit down just a bit wide they may swim in, but if the sit down really wide they've made up their minds. Sit back and hope somehting spooks em your way.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby athomeruddy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:50 am

i think the most effective ways ive found to call in sitting birds is lonely hens and chuckles
athomeruddy
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:19 am

chrispbrown27 wrote:Sucks doesn't it? LOL
If they don't wanna swim your way they ain't coming no matter what you say or do. I would think that they saw something that they didn't like. Since they sat down relatively close I would guess it wasn't too big of a deal but something made them not want to sit with your ducks. May have been something was over there that they wanted, shelter from wind, food source, break in the current. Or it could have been something in your rig, lifeless decoys, movement in the blind, etc. In my experience, if they sit down across from you out of range they aren't gonna swim in to you. Now if they sit down just a bit wide they may swim in, but if the sit down really wide they've made up their minds. Sit back and hope somehting spooks em your way.
Chris

sounds about right
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KO » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:43 am

try single quite quacks.....it might take awhile....if they've been called and shot at before they may just keep on going, but at least you kept busy for a while
KO
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:02 am

You can add widgeon, teal and pintail calls in as well. Just mix them up with mallard calls....like the lonesome hen calls.
My favorite choice is the widgeon and mallard calls. Also you can use the mallard drake call thrown in as well. Just make sure you space these calls out.
About 1-2 % of the birds that lit outside my rig did swim in. Never give up, and good luck :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:28 am

:withstupid:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Mallard Machine » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:58 pm

When ducks settled down outside your dekes they are weary about something and if they don't swim your won't when they settle down they probly won't!! but try using SOFT single quacks and a chatter here and there i did that last week on a single drake mallard and he jumped up and flew right into the dekes.
Mallard Machine
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum