Trouble with my calling.

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

Trouble with my calling.

Postby CLUTCHfan » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:27 pm

I am having a real tough time getting my calling to sound right. I have a Hunters Specialties cassette and the Duck Commander CD that I bought to help me. I have a H.S. single reed call, and a Primos P.H.A.T lady cal, but can't get it to sound right with either. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help. I've tried saying wick, gwik, quack, ut, and still can't get it right.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby Spiraleyes » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:50 pm

The RNT CD's suggest using these words for the quack: Hut, Hoot, Ooot, Quick, Quit, Doit, and Dwit.

For the feeder: Too-Ka, Tic-ka, Dig-ga, Doo-ga, Kit-ty, and Get-ty

For the Cluck: Cook, Shook

Be sure that you are holding the call correctly, and placing your lips on it right as well.

I just got these cd's this week, and my calls are already starting to sound convincing. I use an RNT original call. Practice, practice, practice.
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby mccree79 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:14 pm

I would really try a new call. I'm sure that someone can make those sound good, but I can't ( or just not the sound I want). I would try a RNT Quackhead,or a Duck Commander Reacher or Black Max. They are good calls at an even better price.
mccree79
hunter

Postby KO » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:21 pm

I seriously doubt your call is at fault. The first thing I tell people is to exhale into the call. You really don't blow a call.

The second and just important thing is to hum while exhaling, but don't growl.

Use the back of your throat to control the flow of air not your tounge....

KO
KO
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:29 pm

You might try ...
Hooch for the call

Whank for the quack

and tuck-a-tuck for the feeder.

Use air out of your stomache, not your cheeks... These are things that helped me get started.....
Last edited by 98ramtough on Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:32 pm

Get the Keith Allen instructional CD:

http://www.pureduck.com/cd.html

What KO says is the truth. I have listened to a ton of other instructional CDs and I was 'blowing' into the call. Even when you hear someone say to put air through it like you are fogging a mirror, it doesn't become obvious to you how that differs from 'blowing'. Keith's CD makes that abundantly clear and his presentation is straight forward. The RNT CDs move over this pretty quick and are not quite as overt in stressing this fundamental. By what they tell you to say into the call it promotes the proper method, but they don't stress it. Therefore you THINK you are doing it right when in fact you aren't.

It makes all the difference in the world. Where the air is coming from changes the sound like you wouldn't believe. Get Keith's CD.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum