Duckest Duck Call

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

Duckest Duck Call

Postby HunterX » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:09 pm

I don't know if this has occurred before but I was wondering what do you guys think is the duckest duck calls of all calls? There was a poll on the delta waterfowl page and the duck commander was rate the duckest but anyways wat da ya'll think??
HunterX
hunter

Postby Andrew ONeill » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:13 am

Zink XR-2, awesome call
Andrew ONeill
hunter

Postby fabes468 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:40 pm

the original duck command is a very good call....called in all the ducks we have shot this year
FABES
fabes468
hunter

Postby Woodturner » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:27 pm

Hey HunterX - You asked about the duckiest call. I turn duck calls from exotic woods (cocobolo, purpleheart, bloodwood & Brazilian mahogany). I'm convinced that it's these hardwoods that give the calls their rich tone. Each call is individually turned on my lathe...not duplicated. I buy the reeds, but I had them checked out by a pro caller that works for GameMasters in Quincy, IL. He has said that my calls are some of the duckiest he's ever heard. He said they sounded as good as the big-name commercial calls they sell at his GameMasters store, but mine are more attractive and a LOT less expensive. My calls are $45 except for the Cocobolo, which are $50 (including shipping). I live just outside Springfield, IL. By the way, I also make goose calls and deer grunts. So far this year, I've sold several dozen calls just by word of mouth. Folks have been real happy with the way they sound. I've also sold some calls to American Sports in Havana, IL. I can email pictures for you to see them. If you're interested, drop me a line at rayndj@mchsi.com. Also, please pass the word to your friends. Thanks, Ray
Woodturner
Newb

Postby Ducksbeus » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:09 pm

Just got a Flextone Guide Series thats VERY ducky...Its backup to an old wooden call with no markings of any kind....found another just like it on EBay...This call is the duckiest qwack Ive EVER heard from a man made object :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby athomeruddy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:37 am

Andrew ONeill wrote:Zink XR-2, awesome call

AWESOME CALL, ALONG WITH THE RNT SB AND THE DC
athomeruddy
hunter

Postby KO » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:10 pm

The Bocote/Acrylic I just finished....absolutely A-1 double reed...yet plenty of volume
KO
hunter

Postby Bret » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:22 am

My personal favorite is the Rowdy DOA double trouble tuned as a single.

I also like the Lares T-1 and H.S. Ringer 2, and The daizy cutter for realistic bottom end duck.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby chevyZ71 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:50 pm

fabes468 wrote:the original duck command is a very good call....called in all the ducks we have shot this year

HECK YES! BEST DUCKIEST SOUND IVE EVER HEARD :thumbsup:
chevyZ71
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:54 pm

realistically, a good caller can make any call sound "ducky" there are calls(mainly double reeds), that will regularly sound ducky over other calls(singles). But this is because a double reed is tuned to make that ducky sound and only that one ducky sound, theres no variability. Which can be a bad thing when ducks dont really want to hear that one and only sound and you get stuck in a rut.
But a good caller, who has excellent air control can make his call sound just about anyway he wants it to. whether it be ducky, clean, raspy, or somewhat of both. its all about air control and the right amount of voice.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:03 pm

:withstupid: I have come to believe, alot has to do with the MAN making the music !!!!!!!!
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby QuackWacker08 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:19 pm

Bret wrote:My personal favorite is the Rowdy DOA double trouble tuned as a single.
Bret

HEAR HEAR!
QuackWacker08
hunter

wood or acrylic

Postby Woodturner » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:13 am

What do most duck hunters prefer, all wood single plastic reed, all wood double plastic reed? Do they prefer wood or acrylic calls.
Woodturner
Newb

Postby Duck Crazy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:26 pm

i would say those who are after a more natural sound, "ducky" sound, would go with wood (single or double, double would be even more ducky)

though acrylic has a good sound to it as well. its got a higher pitch on it. some guys prefer that.

and, this is just my opinion, but a new acrylic is just as purty as a wood. i know many of yall might disagree, but thats how i feel
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby super_mag » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:06 pm

foiles timber rattler double reed. blow one.
Luke
super_mag
hunter

Postby Bret » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:49 pm

For me I like to buy wood calls they sound great around the house some times they change in the cold so I find myself with acrylic on my lanyard more and more. Some of the timber calls in acrylic I think are every bit as soft and realistic duck sounding but consistant in tone. I still love the wood calls I own many and think the artistic beauty of a hand turned wood call by a true master of the trade is priceless.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum