Complimentary call...

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Complimentary call...

Postby QuackWacker08 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:25 pm

Just got back from the Stuttgart Festival and came home with an Acrylic Short Barrel, and LOVE IT! Tried out the BG Mainstreet and Im gonna love it too when it gets in! I was gonna ask, Whats a call that will compliment the Short Barrel well, as Ive already got a ton of calls that do the same thing, and want variety...Here it is so far...

Open Water/Far out - BG Mainstreet
Mid-level/Duck Worker - ??? (Im guessing short barrel, since its acrylic?)
Close in/Timber/Finisher - ??? (This is where the complimentary call comes in)

If the Short Barrel is considered the Mid-level/Duck Worker, then I guess Im looking for a wood/soft sounding call for a Finisher. Since I havent tried out TOO many duck calls, Im not good at saying if one is raspy or loud etc. So Im asking, what would you consider the Short Barrel, and what is something that would copliment it nicely.

P.S. Something that blows similar/same style as the RNTs or BGs, but Im always up for something new.
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby SirPuddleDuck » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:48 am

I wouls suggest the RNT Quackhead Timber. I have it and a bois d'arc Timbre. Of course the wood call is softer sounding, but the price of the QH is a magnet

Or a Duck Commander Brown Sugar but it's limited in range you did say a finishing call though
PLease address me by my proper title: "QUACK" !!
SirPuddleDuck
hunter

Postby Sorensen » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:45 am

The short barrel can get really soft I have one, and it is almost the only call I use.
Sorensen
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:13 pm

i used a short barrle for a long time. it was a Hedge call..but i've blown the acrylics. very nice call indeed. i always used my shortie as a mid range to finisher call. i wouldn't hesitate to use that acrylic the same way.

that said, you may look into a Rowdy DOA double trouble acrylic with a double reed. very nice call indeed....

other nice finishers..

Winglock double reed
Echo poly timber double or wood/poly double
BG double nasty
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum