From double to single reed

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

From double to single reed

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:54 pm

Have been calling and killing ducks every weekend for every duck season for the last 39 years and have always used a double reed call. Mostly Haydel duck calls. I recently read an article that stated single reed duck calls are for the accomplished caller and double reed for beginners. Well that sparked my interest because I consider myself to be a damn good duck caller. So I bought some single reed duck calls and I am having trouble getting the sounds I want from them. Do any of you guys have any suggestions that would help me convert to a single reed call. Our season here in Canada has come to an end due to freeze up so I have a whole year to practice. I am determined to master the single reed.
HELP !
Jim Broadbridge
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:09 pm

Single reed requires more of a voice inflection type quack. I would not say that doubles are only for beginners. I know some guys that are as good as it gets that still blow doubles. If your good on a double and happy with it then stick with a double.
Some of the new doubles are almost as versitle as a good single.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby JDW127 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:34 pm

I saw a quote from Phil Robertson once where he said, "You're either a world-class duck caller or a world-class duck killer. We're world-class duck killers." If you're killing ducks with your double reed and you feel good using it, who cares what some article says.
JDW127
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:35 pm

Thanks for the reply Mike!
Could you please tell me the names of the new double reeds that you consider as good as the singles.
Jim Broadbridge
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:46 pm

Jim,

There are two things I could never do on the older double reeds. I could never get a loud ringing type hail call and I could never get the really fast snappy quacks. They were always raspy and sounded great on the low end.

Hunting open water almost exclusively I like a loud ringing hail once in a while, and I like quick snappy loud quacks.

The two double reeds I have had good luck with are the Echo double and the winglock double. I just got the winglock old school and I was suprised how much range the call had. He also has a hedge poly that is supposed to be even louder. The echo double I got is a diamondwood poly call and its awesome. The echo is a jframe type call and the winglock hedge poly call actually uses an echo insert, just bored out a bit for more range. I have heard a lot of guys that really like the DOA Double Trouble and report it having good range also.

There is a few guys using the echo poly inserts that are found in the echo double and single reeds. Tim Grounds has a new call out thats a "reed and a half" its a wood barrel with a poly insert. Doc Hull also has a similar call.

Hope this helps. There are a lot of great double reeds that have came out in the last year or so, heck a lot in the last 6 months.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby plainsman » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:08 pm

Jim Broadbridge wrote:Could you please tell me the names of the new double reeds that you consider as good as the singles.
Jim Broadbridge

Gardner's Double nasty XL is a great call to look into.It's my next call purchase for ducks and it doesn't stick.
I made the transition from a double to a single very easily. All I did was add more voice and less air.
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby Bret » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:16 am

I don't know if I totally agree with the coment "double reeds are for beginers and singles are for acomplished callers." The trouble with starting out on a double like you have is this.

In a double reed call the top reed acts as a baffle not allowing the call to sqeal out when you put air into the call improperly. That does make the call more forgiving and easier to get to the killin' ducks stage as a beginer. It is like training wheels for a bycicle or something. You can blow air into a double reed call improperly and still get a sound fair enough to kill a few ducks. The trouble is you depend on that baffle rather that air control and proper operation.

Whe I start callers out unless they are older men I start them on a single because it is so much easier to learn right than to break bad habits later.
If you can blow a single well you will sound better on the doubles as well.

I don't know if there is a double reed out there that sounds just like or performs just like a single it seems impossible to me. some of the newer double do outperform the traditional LA. style doubles at least in range of pitch. You don't have to learn a single to kill ducks but I can not help but think if you can have more tricks to use and a more versital tool you will get at least a few more ducks in the bag. If not at least the sense of acomplishment knowing that you can properly operate a resonate cavity duck call.

You might try the carlons system of call operation to break the old habits.

If you want to hear one of the newer style double pm me I will send you a sound file demo.

My .02

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:56 am

as long as you can get ducks to come in... who cares if its single or double... just my .03 ... my opinion is worth more than everyone else's
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:16 pm

Thanks very much for the response guys . Bret , I don't know what the carlons system is and I don't know what pm means. What are the bad habits that I have developed over the years is it because a double lets you get away with being a little sloppy with the air input?
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby Bret » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:22 pm

I spelled that wrong I was in a hurry....I am sorry, It is the Carlsons system of call operation. You can order it off of the carlsons calls site. I don't know you have developed bad habits but I would suspect it. the second reed makes the call more forgiving and you have probably learned to rely on it. PM means private message. You can send them from this site to me or any other member.

If you want a sound file I will just nead your e-mail add and I would be happy to send one out.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby KO » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:04 pm

I've blown both and carry both...after 38 years of duck hunting....I can still say I like a "good" double reed.....Look for one that utilizes an Arkansas style setup rather than the LA style...also look for a call in which both reeds are the same thickness.....most doubles have a top reed that is thicker.....that way the the reed s actually sounding off both the top reed and the sound board........If both reeds are the same thickness....both are creating sound and it sounds completely different than a traditional dbl reed
KO
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:58 pm

i use a single reed exclusively. I just believe in it and so thats what i use. If u've got a call you are confident with use it, it shouldnt matter, double or single.
But if i can understand ur wanting to switch from dbl to single, infact i did that and i can remember wanting to learn how to use that single, It was like it was just somethin i couldnt do, so i had to learn how to do it
i believe it pays off though, a single reed is a more versitile tool, and if the ducks dont like certain sound ur makin, its easier to produce a completely different sound on a single than a double. With a dbl reed ur basically stuck with a single sound, which may infact be ducky, but somedays that sound wont work and with a double reed ur stuck IMHO
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:27 pm

You got it right Duck Crazy---It's somthing I gotta do because I can't. And if it puts a few more ducks in the freezer because of it all the better. Thanks for your reply.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby XR-2 Fan » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:29 pm

It's kinda crazy but I learned on and blew doubles for years then learned and switched to singles. The crazy part is I've actually gone back to doubles!!! Everyone's different, but for me I seem to turn more ducks with a thicker sounding double. I was just like you though, I learned the singles because I just couldn't blow em. It took me a while in the off season to learn, but it was kinda rewarding to grasp the concept of the old single. My advice would be(since you sound alot like me) to learn the single and then decide which one you like best, or even use both. That way you've got all the angles covered. Good Luck!!!
XR-2 Fan
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:56 am

Thanks for the reply Bull. That's my intention. I can't see the day that I would go duck hunting with out my Haydel DR-85 around my neck regardless how accomplished I become with the single reed.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum