help getting it right--calling

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

help getting it right--calling

Postby kyduck » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:33 am

I just started trying to call and having trouble figuring out if I am blowing air from my diaphram. Hearing some other callers I noticed a thumping noise that seems to come from their chest when they call--I even noticed it on the RNT instructional CD that I purchased when they make sounds in the opposite end of the call (especially the dewit sound). My friend says that I seem to be just blowing into the call. Is there any tricks or ways to improve? Any help would be appreciated to a new caller. Thanks so much.
kyduck
hunter

Postby plainsman » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:06 am

What type of call are you trying to use?
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby kyduck » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:13 am

Well, I was given a call from DU to play around with. I think that they give it to members free.
kyduck
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:22 am

It's actually hard to try and teach someone by words
it's nice to be there with you and see what you are doing wrong!!
Sounds like your only blowing air and not saying anything
Try saying GAAK into the call, alot of guys use air from the chest and others bring from deep down!!! You don't really wanna say the word but u want to vibrate the sound of the word in your throat my GAAK sounds like GUUK!!!!!

try this website
callingducks.com and find the sounds files they have some pretty good instructions on calling!!
if that don't help get a hold of me and i'll give you a good down low on calling!!
GOOD LUCK!!

not something you'll learn over night PRACTICE IT UP!!
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby Bret » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:29 pm

I like keith Allens explaination of this.

When you are blowing from your diaphram it is hot air like when you fog up your sunglasses to clean them. when you are not you are blowing cold air like to cool hot soup. Pretend you are doing both... one at a time and I think you may understand a little better. Cold air is no good hot air is what you want.

The noise you are talking about is probably just added voice. You do not need to add voice to your calling all the time but sometimes I like to.

I hope this helps.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby kyduck » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:33 pm

Yes, thanks so much for the reply. I'll keep practicing keeping those ideas in mind. If anybody has any additional advice that might help me along please feel free to reply. Thanks again.
kyduck
hunter

Postby Wild Wings 1 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:15 am

Feel right below your sternum and above your stomach and you will be able to tell if you are using your diapragm. It is hard to tell someone in words how to tell but if your cheeks are blowing up even a little bit, your just blowing into the call.
Wild Wings 1
hunter

Postby XR-2 Fan » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:14 pm

In starting each note you want to use a "uh" sound which is more like a cough sound. Don't "grunt" into the call. This "uh" or cough sound is what helps pressurize your air and starts the reed or reeds to oscilate or vibrate correctly to get that ducky sound. The "u-h" or cough sound only starts the note and is the only "voice" you want to put into the call. The rest of the note is simply air to keep the reed or reeds oscilating properly. If you "grunt" into the call you'll get more of a distorted sound. If you're blowing a single reed always remember to blow it more open-throated(bigger mouth cavity). Using a smaller mouth cavity on a single reed creates more pressure and you'll probably "squeak" the call. On a double reed you can get by with a smaller mouth cavity and more pressure. Hope this helps!!! Good luck!!!
XR-2 Fan
hunter

Postby Bret » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:12 pm

Well you have it almost right. On a single reed.....a large cavity should be used when suporting lots of air like a ringing hail for instance. When blowing smaller amounts of air you should move the tongue forward for the quieter sounds like barn yard hen or quiet quacks and greating. medium air medium mouth cavity........
I am still a student but know this to be correct.
All this stuff is descused in detail on the carlsons system. I think there is a free mini version somewhere If I can find it I will post a link.
Ifound it.
This is a link to the free download. Good stuff I think. :thumbsup:

http://www.carlsoncalls.com/disks.html

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:49 pm

Make a really low ooot sound. Now do it while forcing air out of your mouth with your stomach. Control the air flow with your tounge by keeping it on the shelf behind your teeth on the top of your mouth and putting air pressure behind it. Then to make the sound pull your tounge slightly off of the roof of your mouth. Try to make the lowest note you can, you have to really open your throat up. Without the call it should sound like a doot doot doot doot. now purse your lips and put it to the call and do the same thing, make sure you have enough air pressure.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby bushwacking » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:28 pm

the call u have from du is a southern game call it is a nice call i have it
quack quack boom

bushwacking
bushwacking
hunter

Postby kyduck » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:18 pm

Thanks again guys, all of that info sounds great. I just bought a quackhead timber call and it seems easier to use than the DU call that I have. The RNT CD seems to be helping some, but I think that I need an experienced caller to listen to me.
kyduck
hunter

Postby kyduck » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:45 am

I spoke with a man while looking at duck calls who I then asked how he calls. He says instead of just trying to blow from your diaphram you should almost make a grunt sound. When he did it, it sounded really good to me. Does anybody also do this--is this the correct way to use a duck call?
And for the feed call--should you try and say something like tuka-tuka very fast (like in the RNT instructional CD), or can you just vibrate your tongue (like a purr with turkey calling)?
Sorry if the questions are vague, or just not worded the best, but I really would appreciate everyones opinion on getting used to good habits for duck calling.
Thanks
kyduck
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:10 am

Me and my dad and all the guys we hunt with used to "grunt" into the call. The duck calls used to be made where you needed too. But later we find out that your not really supposed too. If you can do it good then it doesnt sound too bad, but thats not how its supposed to be done anymore. And for the feed call, it would be better to say tuka tuka or tikka or anything like that, whatever works for you. Fibrating your tounge would make it go too fast, you really dont want to super fast purring type feed chuckle. Thats really for competition calling and doesnt help that much, just a few short bursts of tikka tikka tikka tikka tikka will work. Another way to think of calling, take the duck call and just blow into it, you can hear how flat and non vibrant the sound is. now hum into it while forcing air with your diaphram and you will hear it get real shaky and raspy. Now stop the air your pushing with your tounge, then let the air out like your fixing to say "two" and then force the air out while humming. make sure you use plenty of air. Hope that helps, good luck.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:22 pm

ky- i can make a sound recording so you can here some stuff and it might help, if ur intrested i just need ur email adress.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum