Duck Calls

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl, Mallyard

Duck Calls

Postby Scotty2hotty » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:06 pm

Im looking for a easy blowing mid priced duck call single/double reed it doesn't matter . I bought the Buck Gardner goose/duck combo at Cabelas I like the goose call but the duck call seems a bit rough. I feel it is hard to blow and sticks after 1/2 hour of calling the quality is great .I've looked at Rick Hahne calls,Winglock,Gumbo,Hobo and Echo.The problem lies is that I cant try these calls out.So any comment,advice tips are welcome. Please note I am a beginner and Im thinking anything around 60 to 85 in price range.
Last edited by Scotty2hotty on Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better, a good days catch of fish than a lifetime of crabs... Phil Robertson
Rolling Rock Pro-Staff
Team Wise Ass
Scotty2hotty
hunter

Re: Duck Calls

Postby huntall6 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:54 am

you cant forget about RNT calls.
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby drake45 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:10 am

my buddy just picked up a strait suzy by foiles and said its good. Ive yet to check it out personally but i think they retail for 40-50 bucks. Nothing wrong with a rnt J-frame for $20 bucks or a double nasty by buck if you dig the double reeds.
drake45
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:45 am

rnt short barrel is a good lil, pretty much all-round call i'd say.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby gkerrigan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:11 pm

You can't go wrong with Winglock's Poly J-frames. They come in single or double reed. Awesome call, and just $35.

Duck Commander has some great calls too. The Sarge or Duckpicker are both good choices.
gkerrigan
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:28 pm

If you're set on an something from the one's you mentioned, go with an Echo wood/poly timber or the same insert is in the Hobo hunter I believe. That insert (the poly Echo timber) is one of the best sounding inserts out there and will sound good as a double or a single. To let you know how good it is, I believe Kent Cullum won the 2007 World Live Duck calling championship on the Echo call with that insert. For the price, it's a steal.
jrode237
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:52 pm

for that price range you might want to check out watkins, muddypaws, and RM customs. you can get any of them for that price range and you get to choose the material and they make it for you.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby CD » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:37 pm

I would vote for the echo or the winglock just got the winglock a couple weeks ago and I like it a lot
CD
hunter

Postby Scotty2hotty » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:56 pm

Thanks to all for your info I appreciate it greatly. I will look into Winglock,Echo and RNT alittle more.
Better, a good days catch of fish than a lifetime of crabs... Phil Robertson
Rolling Rock Pro-Staff
Team Wise Ass
Scotty2hotty
hunter

Postby Anser albifrons » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:52 pm

get in touch with Mike Stelzner with C&S Custom Calls. He has some of his acrylic "Justifiers" priced at $75. He can tune these in a single or double reed and give them the volume you want.
~ BJ Duplechain
Anser albifrons
hunter

Postby wingman87 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:59 am

i just bought the willie's camo max from duck commander, and man that thing sounds great. its easy to blow and has a nice raspy sound. im not the best caller in the world but this call gives me more confidence in my calling abilities. definately worth the money.
Here we go!!!
wingman87
hunter

Postby duckbio » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:07 am

Haydel's DR-85 is one that can't be over looked. Pretty ducky for only 19.95
"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but political correctness is killing me."
duckbio
hunter

Postby dongotto » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:06 pm

A lot of great calls already listed, but if you look from time to time on ebay you will find dead on calls that a guy custom makes in idaho for $14.99. He ships them with a long reed that you can trim a whisker at a time until it fits you. I have an RNT short barrel and my dead on call sounds like its brother for a fraction of the cost. He makes them in a lot of different wood types. Always makes me wonder why I keep spending money on new calls, but that is a big part of the duck hunting fun for me and a lot of folks.
dongotto
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum