SLIM CHANCE

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

SLIM CHANCE

Postby CrackerJackShot » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:01 pm

Now I hear a lot about calling the "right ducks" and just leaving alone the birds that are thousands of feet high. Last year I saw birds in a V flying overhead and I called to them and worked the jerk like they were comming in just to give it a shot. And phenominally they cupped and dropped thousands of feet in a few seconds right on my head. Did one turn around and then 35 mallards drop all around the spread and i had my way with them. Does anybody else have stories like this? Also does anybody have any explanation as to why everyonce in a while something like that will happen?
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby wspiller » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:24 pm

Dont know why but have done that a few times myself, love it whens it happens especially on public land were you know other people are watching its really neat seeing those birds drop like that
wspiller
hunter

Postby Bret » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:02 pm

Yep!! :yes: It happens, but like you said it is not the norm by any stretch. I have nothing to back it up but I think it is new birds to the area that are not sure where they want to go. I have even broke one duck off the end of a huge flock flying way high like that a couple of times. Boy it is rare though.
I don't even try very often at those anymore maybe on a real slow day. It is to much work for a very rare, though very cool reward.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby KO » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:55 pm

When 've seen and had this happen...those birds are usually new arrivals to the area.....f I were a betting man....I would place money on the fact that they were new to the area and were looking to set down....your callng probably was the ticket.....fun ain't it
KO
hunter

Postby athomeruddy » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:38 am

I doubt that calling has too much effect in situations like this. Birds several thousand feet away? Think they are going to hear you over their 34 other friends talking and flying?

I have seen this several times, my guess is they wanna set down bad enough. Calling will have a positive effect when they get closer, but i believe if they are that far and cup out...its not the calling.

Very cool experience aint it?
athomeruddy
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:02 pm

At stuttgart this year on mainstreet during the competion, you walk about 50-100 yard away, and it was amazing that you really couldnt even here those ringin competion hail calls. Now, add wind to the factor. Imagine riding on the 4-wheeler minus the engine noise. theres alot of wind at just 10-15 miles an hour. you cant hear squat, and then for the ducks they are 100 yards out and maybe 50 yards up.

it might be hard for ducks to hear you most of the time
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:12 pm

Could have been your movement that drew their attention. I don't know, but we've had em do it here too.
Duck U 2
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum