does it really work???

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

does it really work???

Postby chevyZ71 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:58 pm

guys, ive always wondered about the feeding call. does it really work? ive heard Phil Robertson say he's never even heard a real duck make that sound. so what do you guys think and have you ever heard a duck make that sound?
chevyZ71
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:01 pm

Im sure I have before.
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby Deadeye_youth » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:33 pm

Yes it does work but only in certain places. Like if there is no food where you are hunting dont use a feeder call. But if you are in a field or other place where there is food then use it. If you listen to birds flying over fields you can here them makin the feeder call.
WHACK EM' AN STACK EM'
Deadeye_youth
hunter

Postby plainsman » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:12 am

I've used it and it has brought them in for me. Great for sealing the deal
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:08 am

i can't belive the duck commander has never heard a duck make a "feeding" chuckle. hell, i hear it 5-10 times an outing...usually when they are circling right overhead and getting ready to make a final hook into the dekes.

hen mallards will cluck contently while sitting on the water feeding. they will also make a similiar sound in the air when passing over other ducks on the water. (it is presumed that this is an indicator to other ducks she's flying with of her desire to land...just what i've heard, not sure if it;s true)

ANYWAY.

a nice single cut feed call imitates this nicely. when you speed it up and double cut the feed call, the idea is that you aren't trying to imitate ONE duck, but the sounds of MANY ducks sitting on the water.

so, that being said, Phil is absolutely correct in saying that "A" duck wouldn't make that sound...ONE duck isn't capable of making that sound anymore than you are capable of reading 5 different sentences outloud at the same time.

does it work?..it works for me.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:35 pm

I was watching 1 lone duck this year.. and it was making the feeding call. Swamp puppy?
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby QuackWacker08 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:54 pm

Hes talkin bout the double cut feed, ONE duck doesnt do that.
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby texan68 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:34 pm

Swamp Puppy wrote:i can't belive the duck commander has never heard a duck make a "feeding" chuckle. hell, i hear it 5-10 times an outing...usually when they are circling right overhead and getting ready to make a final hook into the dekes.

hen mallards will cluck contently while sitting on the water feeding. they will also make a similiar sound in the air when passing over other ducks on the water. (it is presumed that this is an indicator to other ducks she's flying with of her desire to land...just what i've heard, not sure if it;s true)

ANYWAY.

a nice single cut feed call imitates this nicely. when you speed it up and double cut the feed call, the idea is that you aren't trying to imitate ONE duck, but the sounds of MANY ducks sitting on the water.

so, that being said, Phil is absolutely correct in saying that "A" duck wouldn't make that sound...ONE duck isn't capable of making that sound anymore than you are capable of reading 5 different sentences outloud at the same time.

does it work?..it works for me.

:withstupid: :withstupid:
texan68
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:48 pm

i believe the feed is a good confidence call for em' it imitates what they've heard when they gathered up in canda while staging. If you go after the seasons ended and just go to where there are some ducks, you will hear that feed call.

but heres something to think about. Keith Allen came up with this idea. ok... think of a dog. when u get next to him while hes eatin, what does he do? he growls. Really the only time u hear that feed call is when there are a bunch of ducks all together feedin. so what they might be doin is "growlin" at each other, sayin get the heck away from my food. but going back to what i said before, this sounds natural to the ducks flyin by. and it means there is food to fight over. Just some stuff to think about.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby XR-2 Fan » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:36 pm

Duck Crazy, I think that's a great point. I've heard Fred Zink call it more of a spacing call in that they do it when they're feeding, and also when they're in 20 feet of water. From my experience, and I say this because I don't hunt much of a feeding area, it seems to be more of a territorial thing. The times that I've heard it hunting, it's been when ducks are flying and acting like they want to get down, and I've also heard it when they weren't feeding and using that sound with aggresion. I think if you're hunting in a true feeding area like the timber or something, it's a pretty important call but for me I just don't use it much hunting in more of an open water setup.
XR-2 Fan
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:27 am

The sound you hear ducks make while they are flying is not a feeding call.
It's a chatter. The true feed call, the sounds they make while on the water feeding sounds totaly different. The true feed call or "chuckle" is very effective when you are hunting in 18" deep water or shallower or a grain field. I have never heard a duck make the "chatter" when on the water or on the ground. Personally I think the chatter sounds like crap and certainly not very natural. I hear alot of top notch callers using it but I don't Know why. The Duck Comander hasn't heard it because he dosn't hunt corn or grain feilds and obviously dosn't consider the chatter a feed call because it isn't. The true feed call is not made out of aggression by ducks, more out of exitement.They will make this call wether feeding in a field or on water but NEVER WHEN THEY ARE FLYING.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:56 pm

Dude ur splitin hairs with this "chuckle" or "chatter" are you talkin singe cut and double cut feeds? I've always thought the chuckle and chatter were the same things, the double cut, competion style feed (the duga duga duga duga). or the more natural one, the duh duh, da da, duh duh duh.

and yes you do hear a SINGLE duck make the more double cut, (i guess what ur calling a chatter) in the air. BUT!!!! a feed call is supposed to sound like many ducks so the double cut can sound natural. mix it in with the single cut in short bursts along with some quacks.
the double by itself is real cool to do, but not the most natural thing.

but honestly why not have more tricks in the bag. It cant hurt to be able to do both. Sometimes the single cut wont work so u gotta try the double, and sometimes NO feed call works the best. Hell sometimes u gotta put down the call entirely.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby athomeruddy » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:10 am

i dont find it natural to remain silent when hunting over decoys, so if you have birds too close for being loud. get soft with chatter and small cadences. i like to chuckle and i find it is a great confidence builder
athomeruddy
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:17 am

I guess you have to ask yourself , do you wan,t to kill greenheads or do you wan,t to sound cool on a duck call. If you wan,t to kill ducks, leave the fancy stuff for the stage. Athomeruddy, I'm with you.Silence is not golden when your trying to represent a flock of ducks on the water. I do understand that it's more difficult for you southern boys to call ducks than it is up here in Canada. We educate alot of them before they get to you. But we are all froze up here and the birds are heading your way. Today is our last day of the season. Wack em and Stack em.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:55 pm

you do realize that that fancy stuff u refer to as can infact come in handy in the field, for those real windy days ur gonna need some fancy stuff to call em. Especially a hail call, not neccissarily a "ringin hail" but it wouldnt hurt. There aint no way a guy blowin some duck commander call will get the attention of ducks way out on a day like that. why because those calls cant do any fancy stuff like that. You can call ducks with a duck commander call, but not on as many days as you can with say an RNT and Echo or something like that. Like i tried to say before, why not, it cant hurt to have more vocabulary, i realize it is possible to call ducks without use of stage calling techniques but if u can do em, when the situation calls for em, why not use em.
and anybody who can sound "cool" on a duck call can kill greenheads.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:31 am

You are absolutley correct Duck Crazy, and that's why I'm in the process of learning how to blow a single reed call. More for the fact that I hunt alot of open water and I need the range that a single will give me over the double reed call. I blow mostly Haydel calls not the DC. And I stand corrected about Phil not hunting grain fields, I just watched Bloodline 9 and he did hunt over some flooded corn and for the first time that I have heard he did some soft chuckling. And in no way do I underestimate the talent that "contest callers" have and what they can do with a duck call.But that doesn't change the fact that the sounds ducks make while flying is in no way a feed call and in 40 years of hunting I have never heard a duck make that sound when on the water or ground. The sounds duck make when feeding (not flying) is highly effective and shouldn't be confused with the "chatter". My theory is this , the more I can sound like a real duck on the water the more birds I'm going to kill.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:30 pm

i totally agree, the sound they make in the air in no way is a feed call, i dont know what the hell it is but it aint for food. and sounding more like a duck should help to kill more birds, but coming first would be location, cover, and decoys, and movement. Sounding like a duck is definately a good thing, on top having other tricks in the bag

Jim, if i had to choose i would pick haydels over DC as well :yes:
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby Original talker » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:40 pm

I have found like a lot of these other guys that the double cut or TickaTucka and so on done alone does not work, even in the corn. Now thrown in with some clucks like Cook, Cook, Cook, Cook tickatuckaticka is more of a realistic sound that a bunch of ducks will make when they are feeding or just content. Ducks always seem to cluck at you when they are circling, like cook,cook, cook, usually in bursts of three notes strung together. To me this is just a contement type of call they use to see if it is safe. So to answer your question the rolling feed call does not work, all the guys (RNT,Duck Commander and Buc Gardener) say the same, but I notice when I watch the videos they all chatter when the ducks are almost landed. It makes since especially if you have a large spread out there that ducks will be talking so doing a call like the chatter is like the icing on the cake. Good luck.
Original talker
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:42 pm

heres a great solution. have guys in the blind with you, chatterin and feedin while u quack or do what ever. just have some guys be hind you addin what they have to say in the mix. it'll add realism. a whole butt load of realism as a matter of fact.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum