Duck Calls

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl

Duck Calls

Postby Puddle Jumper » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:29 pm

Hello all,
I was curious I am in the market for a new duck call, I am hunting in Southern Ontario, Long Point, Lake Erie Region and I was just wondering what everyone is using. There are so many calls on the market now, alot of them I'm sure bag the hunters more then they bag the ducks.
Later, Puddle Jumper
Puddle Jumper
Newb

Postby oakflyfisher » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:38 am

I use a variety of calls most collected years ago and not available today. All my calls are wood except an RNT purchased this year. One of my favourite older calls is a raspy Olt double reed call. My newer calls are Rich n Tone RNT and I really like my Mallardtone goose flute.

// Bruce
oakflyfisher
Newb

Postby Puddle Jumper » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:46 pm

I also have the OLT double reed call I bought that one acouple of years ago, but I was told that they stopped producing them, and to save all your Olt calls. I will still use it even though its value is going to increase, but I would like to know if there is a call out there that no duck hunter should be without and where and how much it costs. There are so many calls out there right now, how do you know which calls work the best besides going out and purchusing all of them and do the research yourself, thats what makes these chat forums such an important tool, because I can get the info without having to go out and buy all of them, and do that kind of research on my own.
Puddle Jumper
Puddle Jumper
Newb

Duck Calls

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:58 pm

My favorite call is a Buck Gardner Double Nasty that I bought at Walmart for 13.88 It sounds good and I can get the sounds I want out of it. Calls are a gray area. What may work good for me may not for you. I just go to Cabelas or some other place and start blowing calls until I find one that works for me.

If you are puddler hunting a Mallard drake whistle is something you shouldn't be without.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:03 pm

i have the primos phat lady duck call and the big river flute goose call. i really like both calls.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby buster_22 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:42 pm

hey can you do the feed call with that phat lady call???? :thumbsup:
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:51 pm

buster 22 i have no problem blowing the feed call. with the phat lady.there only about 22.00 at walmart.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Grinder » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:01 pm

Right now, I'm really happy with my Primos Wench and Duck Commander "Ole' Raspy". I think the Duck Commander sounds the best, but I can work both of them really well.

I also have a Big River Magnum Acrylic Double Reed and a Big River Duck Buster Double Reed. The "Duck Buster" is a small wooden call, as opposed to the larger body of the Magnum. The "Duck Buster" is a mellow call, and I find it very easy to get feeding chatter out of it.

I also have an old Mallardtone (I'm not sure of the model) which is nice and mellow, and a Duck Commander Maximum Reacher which is very loud and raspy. I know the Maximum Reacher is a good call (my buddy's used one before), but I'm not used to it yet......so I'll reserve comment. You have to be pretty forceful on that call, otherwise it doesn't sound right.

I can't justify spending the money on many of the "boutique" calls that are out there, but I'm sure they are very good and worth trying if you can afford it. I'm just a hack out trying to shoot a few ducks, so I'll pass.

Grinder
Abusing:

Browning BPS 10 Gauge 26" barrel
Browning Auto-5 Magnum Stalker 28" barrel
Grinder
hunter

Postby b c g s » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:56 pm

OK here we go I have a Night&Hale T-lock, Night&Hale Deluxe Acrylic Single ,Carlson Volochoke , Echo , Big River Double reed , P.S. Olt Regular Duck Model D-2,,,, For Goose I have a Big River Flute and a Primos Snow Goose,, and I have some more calls that I would like to get LOL...

TOM :thumbsup:
I live to hunt and hunt to live
b c g s
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:37 am

I normally switch out between:

acrylic single reed Kwack Wacker
acrylic single reed Winglock
acrylic stabilized spalted maple burl with african black wood insert single reed Black Swamp Special :mrgreen:
acrylic GK goose call

One of the best "cheap" calls is the Echo poly timber call.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby KO » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:16 am

Obviously I'm horribly prejudice...but I only blow the calls that I make....my reason is this........only the really high end calls had a ring to them...that ring is deafning...too loud for my taste....the lower end calls had no ability to ring at all......they have good low and some had both low and mid range....

The calls I make have the ring...it's just not earsplitting....plus they really have good low and mid range......

In my somewhat jaded opinion...they come as close to the perfect duck call as I've seen....but I'm still working on obtaining the "perfect" call....kinda like golfing the "perfect game" not that I golf...anymore

KO
KO
hunter

Postby Tmoney » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:46 pm

Primos DU Wench
2- Haydels DR-85's
H.S. Black Ice
Haydels Variable Red Leg
DU edition Southern Game Calls - Nasty Boy
Foiles somke colored Strait Meat Mallard
Duck Commander Smoke

I would recommend getting a good acrylic single reed- like my SMM, and you can get by with a cheap double. This season the only calls on my lanyard when hunting will be the DR-85, SMM, and SMH goose call, and Primos Power Drake Whistle
Tmoney
hunter

Postby crankerup » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:49 am

duck commander duck calls and big river and winglock goosecalls.
crankerup
hunter

Postby Humboldt Drake » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:55 am

i prefer my new single reed southern game call NASTY BOY it produces a greet sound for only about $30.00

my brother really likes his swampthing RED DEVIL but its a little more expensive $130.00
Humboldt Drake
hunter

Postby Puddle Jumper » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:28 pm

Thanx for all the input, it was greatly apprieciated has anyone heard about the Olt call, I just wanted to know it it was true or not about them not making them anymore the hunting store that I go to just after I bought mine a guy came in and bought all the remaining stock and told the store owner the story. apparently the price of them went right through the roof.
chow for now
Puddle Jumper
Newb

Postby ol' yeller » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:15 am

Olt is out of business, but one of the guys that worked there for 27 years helped open a new company called DJ Illinois River Valley Calls. They are selling a reproduction of the old D2 call that everyone used to cut down. These have already been cut down and from what I've been told sound very good. I've never blown one myself.

Do a search for the name of the company and you will find out just about everything your want to know.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:08 pm

Anyone know much about the Buck Gardner Double Nasty II? I just got one (Fairly low price and 1st year of waterfowl hunting over my own decoys where i will be calling). Just hoping someone will tell me if its worth the $20 i spent on it.

Also what about the Primos Honky Tonk (for canadian geese). Got this one at the same time i got the Double Nasty also for $20. Thx for any input.
duckplucker
hunter

Double Nasty 2

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:11 pm

That Double Nasty II is a great call. I am gonna buy another since my brother lost mine. Of all the cheap calls that is probably my favorite.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum