Calls for beginners

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl

Calls for beginners

Postby Tack in NJ » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:11 pm

OKay I admit it my calling is the pits. What duck calls would you guys recommend for the beginner???
We interrupt this marriage to bring you the Hunting Season
Tack in NJ
hunter

Postby sioutdoors » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:38 pm

double reeds are easyer to make "ducky" sounds try primos wench or tember wench
belly up feet kicking
http://sihunters.blogspot.com/
sioutdoors
hunter

Postby KO » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:49 pm

My advice is to buy the best call you can afford...then practice untill the police are called...there is only one way to get good at calling and thats to practice.......
KO
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:05 am

I also highly recomend getting a DVD or VHS tape on intructional calling, as it is much easier to learn while watching the hands, as holding the call you create back pressure to alter the sound, especially on goose calls.

I know the MN Waterfowl Assn has a nice DVD intructional video that they sell, and there are others too.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lillusk3 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:39 am

personally i would go with any of the primos wenches.. or a haydels dr-85.. don't buy the best call you can afford.. because its not the call that calls ducks.. its the person.. another good double reed is the HS black ice.. its a bit louder.. but can make really ducky sounds..
If it flies, it dies!
lillusk3
hunter

Postby santeerangerman » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:46 am

I'm not the best caller in the world, and maybe one of the worst, but I have very good luck with the Haydels Coca-rlic mallard call.

The Haydels seem the easiest to blow to me.

It sells for around $60.00, so it's not the most expensive call out there.

I have also found that caydence, and calling at the right time is far more important than trying to sound like Buck Gardner or Phil Robertson.

Call at the birds "butts". Then let them go far enough down wind to work them into your dekes. I think alot of people over call, and try to work the birds when they are too close. Try letting birds go 100-150 yrds out, then call them back. Then set em' with soft feeding calls.
santeerangerman
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:49 pm

ive tried and tried again to learn how to call, but i cant seem to get it... watched video's, listened to tapes... i dont know i just seem to have a mental block... so anyways i just use a widgeon whistle... dont laugh yet because i've had just about everything land in my spread while i was doing it... i guess it helps that we have tons of the little buggers up here, so they are always peeping away at ducks that are flyin by... plus at like 6 bucks, they are a great value...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Duck Crazy » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:14 pm

i would recomend a Buck Garnder Double Nasty II, it has the forgiveness of a double reed, which is what a beginner needs, along with range and versatility, which is what all callers need.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby cinrds » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:25 pm

I to am a beginner I two quack head got a J-frame last year and a Timber about two weeks ago both very easy to blow. Also they blow wet and in the cold. I leve them in my van so I can practice as I drive down the road. The other day it was zero when I went to work got in both blew great. Can get them at Wal-Mart for less the 25.00 each. Got my timber at ebay for 15.00 after shipping.
Jesus replied, "I am the bread of life. No one who comes to me will ever be hungry again. Those who believe in me will never thirst. John 6:35
cinrds
hunter

Postby santeerangerman » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:04 pm

Try Phils Robertsons Video, " The art of Commanding Ducks"

He goes into very good detail about the mechanics of using a Duck call.

It's the best instructional video on the market, by far...
santeerangerman
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:27 pm

are you kidding me, phil robertson, the best on the market, Track, trust me if you want some good instructional cds or videos get some from guys that know about call operation.
for videos:
i would recomend takem 6, it comes with a bonus instructional calling DVD

for cds:
Buck Gardners Straight talk
RNTs the right stuff
echos duck calling 101
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:19 pm

Don't forget those whistling ducks. Pintails, Teal, and Widgeon. The best call for those (hands down) is the High Roller from Primos. Under $20 too, and it's hard to mess up whistle calling. Also great for kids b/c you can't hardly mess it up. :thumbsup:
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:46 pm

primos double reed calls are cheap. olt double reed if you can find one.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby cinrds » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:53 am

Here in the the Tulsa area Wal-mart has all there call on sell about half price or a little more.
Jesus replied, "I am the bread of life. No one who comes to me will ever be hungry again. Those who believe in me will never thirst. John 6:35
cinrds
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:34 pm

HEY DUCK CRAZY!!, dont diss Phil Robertson. He is by far one of the best duck hunters in the world!!! He doesnt just set up in the best of the best duck spot and pretend call at ducks you couldnt get to fly off if you were jumpin up and down in the water wavin red flags. Hes a true hunter. He knows how to operate a call to sound like a duck better than anybody. He sounds like a duck while other people sound like imitations. If Phil Robertson gives you advice, you better take it!!!!
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:35 pm

Okay, BEGINNERS one of the keys to producing a good sound out of a call is lip and tongue position. move them around the call. work you way from short fast air burst to soft slow burst. and as always if you can't blow a call, you aint practice enough. took me 3 mnths to learn. thats cause i have my duck idol working with me. all that stuff about vooooot or something, forget it, make you own words. i personally use quack, more like quaa ack.

DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Calling

Postby BigBirds » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:39 pm

First thing first don't diss phil. ok now that is out of the way. If you have to talk into the call making a grunting sound you need a better call. I use to do that, then a friends of mine I hunt with asked me why I said because I heard it on a Buck Gardener tape . Well after hearing him blow his call it was clear he was doing something differnt and it sounded a whole hell of alot better. Most important is to blow from your diaphram. When we blow our calls it sounds like we got punched in stomach. After you master this you can control your air a whole lot better. I use a Haydel's dirty rice and a haydel dr 85. See here in the south it is a must to be able to blow a call. By the time the ducks get here they have heard every type of call and seen every decoy spread. If you are going to get a tape , dvd, cd, ect....go with phil robertson. and for the money haydel makes a good "ducky" call, if you need a wood duck call go with Duck Commander. He makes by far the best wood duck call . Good luck and good hunting... :thumbsup:
BigBirds
hunter

Postby thaner » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:45 pm

I picked up and borrowed a bunch of low $ calls last year and tested many out. I did some reviews if you check back on the posts to that time. After a year of use and a hunting season I like the Double nastyII the best. Great sound, good range, never stuck on me and I like the single reed better that the doubles. It is also very easy to blow all the duck sounds. J-frame is also good, but stuck a few time on me in the late season.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:43 pm

CrackerJackShot wrote: He sounds like a duck while other people sound like imitations.

yea keith allen is an imitation, yea buck gardner is an imitation? what are you smokin?

and if he is so great why are his calls the crapies pieces of junk ever? they fall apart after two or three weeks of use. they cost $15 that right there should tell you to stay away.

his "valuable" advice would only serve purpose on a double reed what if Track in NJ wanted to learn how to blow a single reed? where as some ones instruction say rick dunn, buck gardner, or keith allen, or john stephens would help you in all aspects of calling.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:10 pm

lots of great calls for beginners out there.

try an Echo Trash Talker (double reed). very easy to blow and a call you can hunt with at any skill level.

Buck Gardner makes great calls. the double nasty is very VERY ducky.

Echo Timber Single Reed or the RNT Quack Head are two good calls to try if you want to go the single reed route.

there are lots of great instructional CD's out there...the only one i have heard is the Echo Duck Calling 101 CD and i would recommend it highly. that said, i am sure the other major name CD's are just as helpful.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:50 am

Phil Robertsons calls are the perfect example of calls that should tell people like you that you're gettin had when you buy those expensive calls. They work just as well and sometimes better. I have a few of them and have had them for several seasons and they have worked great for me. Killed MANY ducks with them. I just laugh at the people that go off and buy those super expensive calls. Its Ridiculous, gettin so caught up in the buying of the most expensive crap, in cocabola wood or acrylic that you forget all about what your trying to do. Sound like a duck. I listened to a Buck Gardner video. Its nothin but compatition calling. I aint ever heard ducks make that much noise.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:55 pm

can ducks highball? i dont think so, does it work, hell yea it does, what are you gonna do when those birds start leavin and are about 250 yrds out? there aint no way in hell that a duck commander call will get the job done at that distance. a hunter nowadays needs a call that is louder than most everybody out there so the ducks will hear him, and a duck commander call is not versatile enough to do that. Versatility is a key factor in duck calling as well as the ability to sound like a duck.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:31 pm

A couple of months ago I would have agreed with Crakerjackshot all the way ,but since I have bought a couple of single reed calls with another on the way I have to go with Duckcrazy. A good quality single reed call is like a musical instrument and the sounds you can make are unlimited. With a double reed call you are limited not only with volume and pitch but the various sounds that ducks are capable of makeing. I take duck calling very serious and know for sure it is responsible for a whole bunch of green heads in the freezer. However if you are not dedicated to practice and do not have a passion for calling then maybe a Duck Commander or Haydel double reed is the call for you. You should be able to make some good ducky sounds with limited practice. I have also noticed since working with the single that I can make some ducker sounds with the double. In my opinion calling is too important of a tool to let price be a big factor in selecting a call. Good pricey duck calls are not limited to the stage. I havn't seen all of the Duck Commanders videos, but what I have seen , Phil dosn't hunt alot of open water and volume isn't a big factor, that is where the good single reed will shine.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:27 pm

What most people dont understand is that calling is NOT that crucial. If you look at a list of the most important aspects of duck hunting calling is near the bottom. Also if you ever sit around a bunch of ducks you will hear that they do NOT call that much EVEN when the ducks are circiling on top of them. PLUS they do NOT call at birds 200 yards off. What your TRYING to do is look and sound like a duck. If a duck doesnt do it, then dont do it. Calling is overrated. Ive put the call completely down before and seen them do the SAME thing as they would if I was calling at them. Small quacks and chuckles and the OCCASIONAL hail call is all they ever make, so thats all you should ever do. Anything more and your just wasting your breath. I may be young but I have practically dedicated my life to this sport, scouted entire mornings just to watch and listen to the birds around me. I assure you the Duck Commander calls are fine. Just get one loud one and one soft one, youll save money and have what you need.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Bret » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:02 pm

Calling is limited to ones ability. It is not the most important thing that is true for sure.... being in the right location is......That being said say you are only close to the X for one reason or another, and you need to manipulate birds with your calling. Then the ability to operate a functional call properly can be priceless. Unless you have been in the blind with someone that can really call or you can you have no idea what I am talking about. If you think you are not limited by blowing one of the duck comanders calls, or a wench or something you may never understand. If you think you get nothing more from an acrylic or wood call it is because you have not developed as a caller to the point that you can get that extra sound and versatility out of it. Though I admit you don't lose much with some of the newest less expensive polycarb or polyacrylic single reeds. If you limit your calling to only "Natural" sounds that you have heard one duck do you are limiting yourself. Some sounds work sometimes (when done properly) that aren't really "natural"....ducks don't and can't do it but it works because of something called overstimulation. Phil Robertson is an awesome example of a duck killer. I am sure he is a great guy. I question some of his management ideas but some of his ideas I like. I have not met him personally, but I love his seasonings. To say he is one of the 100 best duck call operators in the country would be rediculous. I have no doubt many ducks are killed every year with the use of his calls some of them I even think sound fairly good, but others sound like a duck quacking through a sweaty gym sock. I own several duck comander calls, but don't use them in the blind. I also have no doubt some ducks are killed because a call is so quite the ducks never heard the terrible caller that was blowing it.

In short I agree with Mr. Broadbridge, and Duck Crazy. I have been waching this thread and have not had time to respond until now.

as for a call recomendation for beginers. I.M.O.
If you want to really learn how to operate a call and are willing to work at it you should start out on a single reed. The inexpensive polycarbs are great to learn on. I would suggest a quackhead from RNT, or one of echos singles or something up that line.

If you do not want to work as hard at it and get what you can with as little practice as possible start on a double like the DR-85 or a trash talker from echo.

My.02

Bret
Bret
hunter

Next

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum