Calls for beginners

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Postby Duck Crazy » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:09 pm

CrackerJackShot wrote:What most people dont understand is that calling is NOT that crucial. If you look at a list of the most important aspects of duck hunting calling is near the bottom. Also if you ever sit around a bunch of ducks you will hear that they do NOT call that much EVEN when the ducks are circiling on top of them. PLUS they do NOT call at birds 200 yards off. What your TRYING to do is look and sound like a duck. If a duck doesnt do it, then dont do it. Calling is overrated. Ive put the call completely down before and seen them do the SAME thing as they would if I was calling at them. Small quacks and chuckles and the OCCASIONAL hail call is all they ever make, so thats all you should ever do. Anything more and your just wasting your breath. I may be young but I have practically dedicated my life to this sport, scouted entire mornings just to watch and listen to the birds around me. I assure you the Duck Commander calls are fine. Just get one loud one and one soft one, youll save money and have what you need.

this statement makes you as credible as Bill Cliton on Trial. "If a duck doesnt do it, dont do it," that is horrible advice. Have you not heard of the Hail call? IT WORKS. I'VE DONE IT MANY TIMES BEFORE. which leads me to my next point, "ducks doing The OCCASIONAL hail call" Truth is they dont hail call at all, they dont have the lung power. Thats complete crap. "What your TRYING to do is look and sound like a duck," yea when they are 100yrds and closer, but farther than that you are trying to get their attention. If you blow greeting on a duck commander call with ducks at 250 yrds, they WILL NOT HEAR YOU! Duck Calling is NOT overated. Being able to pull birds from 300 yrds away is a great asset. First comes location(includes wind&sun, Whether Birds are there or not), Then comes Camouflage, Thrid comes decoys. and Fourth COMES DUCK CALLING. That must be a mighty short list you got there. Maybe you should talk less and READ more.

edit: and another thing, if calling is so overated, why in the hell are you giving advice about it in the calling forum?
something i think you fail to realize is that those that spend $$ on expensive calls, are people that care about calling a great deal and they want the best quality, not to say that Duck Commander Calls wont get it done on some occasions, but the $$ calls are more Versitile. Anyone who can blow a single reed with skill and percision can blow a duck commander. But the reason they choose to blow a sinlge reed is because they can get more out of it. You can do everything a double reed can do and more on a single reed. But for the new caller that wants to get calling in the field fast or doesnt really care for calling all that much, the double reed is for him.

BUT, how does that give him credibility to knock at the guy who took time and money to persue something that to him was important. sure you might see duck calling as trivial, but to some like me it is not just for duck hunting, duck calling is a seperate subject of its own. It's how i seperate myself from other hunters, not that a double reed blower is a worse hunter, Its how i earn respect in the duck hunting world. When i blow for somebody i want them to be blown out of their mind, i dont want to be just the other average joe. I take great pride in duck calling. Its something i've worked hard for. endless hours of practicing. and im not even close to the best.

I can understand that i was being harsh on phil, and i realize how you feel, but practically saying that his call is better than all others you must realize is a very weak statement.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:10 pm

First off, dont talk about the experience of callers. Ive done my fair share of calling different calls and PERFECTING the art. Its not like its very difficult. Maybe Im just talented but its not rocket science. Second, those big long hail calls do NOT work. Its just an allusion. Those birds were going to come over and look at you anyways. You did NOT get them to look over there. The ONLY thing you can do with calling is get them more commited when they come to look. And yes ducks DO hail call. Maybe not a huge 20 note string hail but they do cause Ive heard it. Dont talk to me about what birds do and dont do. Ive heard them SEVERAL times do a good 7 note hail. Im on here trying to give GOOD advice for somebody. Ive blown those single reed calls and the duck commander calls will work just as well. Calling is on a seperate subject, SURE. But this guy wants to get ducks in, not sound like a competition caller. And last off, I never said his calls were above all others, they are the most anybody would ever need.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Bret » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:12 am

Crackerjack shot I fancey myself a bit of a calling guy I would like to hear you call would you be willing to send me a short sound file. I would like to critique it and maybe learn a little. Here is you chance If you want I will send you my E-mail over PMing and you can show me how much you sound like a duck. I am assuming a hen mallard duck.

I have spent my life perfecting calling (Almost 30 years) I still am learning new sounds and ways to use them. Birds, and their movements can be manipulated by calling. I can not believe that you think differently, but maybe I am just a fool.
Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:36 pm

i've had the hail call work many times. the birds circled the blind three times and took off to the next field ,i hit the hail call and they turned real fast right back to me. the cut down call, feeding chuckle, whine or moaning call all have worked with birds that were not interested. sprig love to hear a sprig whistle and a hen mallard quack followed with a feeding chuckle. so yeah it is kind of science if you know what you are doing. i've sat quiet without calling and most of the times the birds fly off or land out of range. my friend who can't call blew his call and scared them off. when i call we get birds simple fact!
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Duck Calling

Postby BandedMallardrnt » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:34 pm

I won my first calling competition with a Duck Commander call. Phil Robertson is by far the best duck hunter ever!!!!

Rnt sponsors me now and they have exellent calls for a beginner i would tell them to try a quackhead J frame the will run u about 25 $

Its not the duck call its the caller is what i have always beleived and i have about 20 different called from rnt

I would tell u to either get a duck commander video or Take Em 6 they are good videos
BandedMallardrnt
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:56 pm

crackerjack, yea those birds were gonna come over when they were 250 yrds out wings cupped lookin to land. Yea it was pure luck that those birds picked up and came over to my spread when i started hailin em. A good hail can get birds off of that and over to you, i did it last weekend and many times before. And im not talkin a little 7 note hail, im talkin a great loud 15+ note hail. But i dont think you can understand what im talking about because obviously you have done it. If you had you would understand, but How could you have done it before with a duck commander which for the third time is not verstile enough for all conditions. and if you look back i said that he should get a Double Nasty 2. Is that a single reed? no. but is just about as versitile as one, yes it is, but with the forgiveness of a double.

and sure learnin how to blow the double reed for some is not that difficult, but step into the world of single reeds, and your telling me its not that hard. If you want to blow them well its very difficult. maybe thats why you resent single reeds, because you cant blow them, is that it? Don't get so high and mighty about being able to blow a double, sure its an accomplishment but theres a whole lot more to learn. Your talkin like your the king of duck calling, like theres no more for you to learn

and about
they are the most anybody would ever need.

i would say they are bordline for what you need. about a C, a passing Grade but it aint an A.

do you realize how ironic your statements are? do you read what you write, your on here trying to give good advice you say, yet you tell us that hail calls do not, i repeat do not work? never, 0% of the time? and its just luck that ducks fly over when you use a hail call? Well what they hell am i wasting my time using it then? maybe i should blow a call thats as quiet as quiet gets so the ducks cant hear me and maybe i'll get lucky. There must be a lot more luck in duck hunting than i think. and i always thought there was some skill involved.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:48 pm

Look plain and simple. Your right, the duck commander calls are NOT versitile. But two are. and you can get 2 for under the price of those expensive single reeds. I HAVE learned to blow a single reed. But it doesnt really help in the duck HUNTING world. Yeah theirs skill involved but its MAINLY luck. Sorry to burst your bubble. Thats all of my discussions on here. Im on here to help people and get help where I need it, and to have some fun along the way. Not argue with people like you. See yall later.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

250 yards??

Postby BigBirds » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:01 pm

I use a Haydel dr 85 and a dirty rice. I normally don't have a need to "high ball" a call. If they aren't fly close to work em and you have to call them at 250 yards consider moving your blind. I have a few friends who do use Duck Commander calls and they work ducks just fine. Calling is important. I blow my call alot, but I also have the advantage of knowing how to blow a call. If you can't blow a call leave it at home and just bring a whistle. It is very easy to learn and hard to mess up. Just my 2 cents by the way here is my year end report.Well a good end to the season. Made it to Big Branch this morning and managed 9 teal and 1 grey 2 man blind.Now that being said here are my results for this season.
66 greys
1 Canvas Back drake (he is going on the wall)
1 Red Head drake
56 green wing teal
15 mallards
10 widgeons
5 blue wing teal
8 spoonies
6 mottles
8 coots
2 Hooded mergansers
2 common mergansers
1 red breasted merganser
All in all 201 bird 41 hunts (lots of holiday and vacation time lol)I did most of the hunting on public land in Pearl River wma, big branch refuge, and catahoula lake. I did 7 hunts in Tensas Parish on a friends lease ( flooded timber)It has been a great season considering the situation. I hop yall all did well.. Can't wait for turkey season... But for now I am putting down the shotgun and picking up the poles you will see me next weekend in delacroix chasing those silver wonders. If you have any questions about calling PM me and I will help you as much as possible.
BigBirds
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:11 pm

i think its a misconception that a high ball or hailcall is only for the initial "getting their attention" you can also use it as a last resort call when those birds are hell bent on leavin and nothing else has worked to turn them around and you can blast em with the hail.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby XR-2 Fan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:31 am

To summarize this topic, different calls single or double, work for different people in different areas for different reasons. You can't change someone's else's success with a particular call no matter how strong your opinion is on your call. Different calls "fit" different people and as long as everyone's killin, that's all that really matters no matter what the call is. I really don't think it's about what call is better, it's about success with whatever call works for you whether it's $10 or $150. Hailcall or not, single or double, if it's working for ya why change? If it ain't broke don't fix it!!! To each his own i guess!!!
XR-2 Fan
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:04 pm

Id say that about 90% of the the calls in the market, when in the right hands are deadly. Just got to get your hands on one that you can make sould ducky. I just happen to have 16 of them. HA
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby XR-2 Fan » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:39 am

My 2 cents: First of all, I have and hunted with many different calls from Duck Commanders to RNT's. I'm not brand specific or anything like that and am not pushing one call or the other. Now, that being said, the Duck Commanders, if you have the call that is capable, and it's tuned correctly, they WILL SCREAM LOUD HAIL CALLS. I know because I have had several that would. They were the blonde cut down reachers. I blew through em until I found one that was versitile on the low end and high end and let me tell ya it was ringing clear notes. So, the right Duck Commander call will do loud ringing hail calls. As I said I don't push one call or the other because there are several different brands on my lanyard. YOU CAN NEVER JUDGE A CALL OR CALL MAKER BASED ON ONE OR SEVERAL DIFFERENT PEOPLE'S SOUND. I know this because I have several Buck Gardner calls that I love and several Duck Commanders that I love, and also some RNTs that I loved when I was blowing single reeds. I've also owned calls from all the above brands and more that I absolutely couldn't stand. You may have to blow through a bunch to find the sound you like but I think they do exist in just about every brand out there. Now on to the hail calls. I've definitely seen ducks turn to a highball, but my experience has been LOUD RASPY GREETINGS have worked better for me. I honestly believe this has more to do with where I hunt though. If the hail calls are working for ya KEEP USING THEM. Why would you stop. Bottom line is, they work for some people and some people they don't. If they don't work for ya, but there are some guys on here that they do work for with proof to back it up, why try to change their opinion if they've had success? Why try to convince them they don't work when they believe they do? On the flipside, if someone hasn't had success with hail calls, why try to convince them they do work when in their particular area they may not? If you've had success with or without em keep doin what you're doin!!!! I've seen it work both ways. If you're smash'n ducks with or without em, JUST KEEP SMASH'N DUCKS!!!!!!!
XR-2 Fan
hunter

Postby thaner » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:25 pm

WOW :umm: lots of that going on.

I have to agree with something just about everyone said, but not everything everyone said.

First I think if you don't blow a call or don't blow one very good skip the double reeds and go to the single. The doubles recommended are fine but you may as well get the call that can do it all from the start and learn to use it. Most all the calls are OK, but some are much better at the feed call and you will want one that will do it easily. We can debate the need for the feed call on end but it's fun and you will want to be able to do it.

The same goes for goose calls. I started on a single reed duck call and I am glad I did, but I started on a flute for geese and now I am learning the short reed. WOW the short reed is so much better and can do so much more.

Next I would go with the Roberts tape. You don't want a take that is more for high end or contest calling. Roberts tape is a good hunting calling tape. I am sure others are good but that is a good one.

Words, say quack. That works for me. What you really want to do is understand that you don't just blow air in you talk to the birds and you say it like you want them to here it. Get low if you want to get low. Put emphasis and voice into the call. That's what it is all about. I think of the duck call like a translator. I speak in English and it comes out duck. I know that’s not exactly how it works, but I think there is a lot of truth to it.

Low dollar calls are just fine. I killed ducks in a stomped out slush puddle in the late season with decoys that I couldn’t get to set up correctly. The ducks were all kinds of jumpy and had been shot at plenty. I called some in with a Quackhead J-frame and others with a Buck Gardner tall timber II. I have a Mike Lacy cast acrylic timber call I like when they are jumpy and not coming in. If it wasn't for the calling there wouldn't have been any birds to take home!!!

Some of those late season birds came buy and looked without a call but need the call and up to 4-passes to set in. They would not have set without the call. Other times I have had them drop in when I wasn’t looking. You can overcall there is no arguing that point and you do not want to call any more than you have to call.

Hale call is very valuable. Only use it when the birds are not going to come near you where you can use a more subtle approach. Yes, there is nothing better than being where the birds want to be and when possible I would rather be where they just plop on top of you but I don’t have the luxury of having top-notch spots to hunt and without a call and yes the hale call sometimes I wouldn’t get ducks at all. Now that I think of it I may actually like to call in ducks that wouldn’t come in without the call. That’s all part of the magic of the sport. I shoot deer all the time because I am in the right place, but the ones I call in or rattle in are a little more special because I talked the talk and put one over on them.

High-end calls are worth the money! They have a sound quality you can’t get with a poly or cheep wood call. I hunted most of my life with cheep wood calls and killed ducks. I went to the poly calls because they are better wet and cold. Some day I will pick up a nice call, but the poly calls get the job done and I personally think you are better to go with a good poly to learn on so you can blow the call until you get good then when and if you want a custom call you can really evaluate the call before you drop $100 plus on it. I feel the same about guns. You can kill birds with a single shot H&R but a nice gun that really fits and shoots for you is part of the experience. You don’t need it buy it is a nice thing to have and enjoy. Calls are the same. So are decoys, camo type, the boat and all that stuff. We get and use the nicer stuff not because it is necessary but because it is better and it is enjoyable to use a nice well made high quality items and custom hand made in the USA stuff is nice!!!

The long and short of it is that if the duck sees something that looks like a duck and sounds like a duck and when he takes a close look somthing goes boom and kills him, I don't think he cares about all this stuff we talk about. I think for the most part we care because we like the stuff and like to talk about it plan for next year and spend money on somthing we love. So lets have fun!! :getdown:

Just my .02
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Previous

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum