I Need Help ??? Single or Double Reed Feed Call?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

I Need Help ??? Single or Double Reed Feed Call?

Postby buster_22 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:20 pm

Hey do you guys prefer the single reed or double reed when doing the feed call/chuckle? and why . I have a phat lady call 20.00 or so , and two old faulks calls am i whistling dixey when it comes to blowing them for a feed call. What call or calls would you guys recomend me getting to reporduce the feed call easy, and a couple other calls to get them ducks in close.Thank you all for your time.

:getdown: :getdown:
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby mccree79 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:09 pm

Buster 22,

The RNT "Quakehead" is about $25 and will make all the sounds you want.

If you are having problems with the feed call, you could try the Primos Feedin' Mallard Call. Cost is about $15.

Double reeds are is easier to learn, but when you Master a single reed you have more control of the sound coming out of your call( Sounding like more ducks).
mccree79
hunter

Postby buster_22 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:11 pm

ok I'll try that, is it true you get what you buy? I don't want to keep buying $25.00 calls that are not any good. Why do they sell calls for $125.00 or so???? are the better? :help:
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby mccree79 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:33 pm

The high-end calls, for the most part are better. Louder and give you a better tone range. The RNT quakehead is the only " cheap" call that I know of that can come close to the top to bottom range of the high-end calls.
mccree79
hunter

Postby Tmoney » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:01 pm

Single reed is the way to go for feedin callin'
Sorry you have the phat lady- I had one, didn't sound right, stuck a lot, and feed call didn't sound good, and couldn't blow the hail with it.

The RNT J-frame Quackhead- is by far the best plastic single reed on the market.

but with a single reed you want volume- get an acrylic call.
I have the foiles strait meat mallard. Worth the money
Tmoney
hunter

Postby buster_22 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:18 am

Yeah I have the phat lady and your right it does suck , sticks all the time and really very limited to high end. This is what I was practicing the feed call on, I was getting very frustrated b/c it sounded like crap... thanks for the input it made me feel a little better :thumbsup:
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby DuckKillinD » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:22 am

I am a firm beliver in its not what kind of call u have but how well ur able to blow them.i have 5 calls on my lanyard.2 r thr primos phat lady,and the yo sista, each of them can call birds an get them 2 lock(both calls averag about $20), then i have a single reed buck gardner acrilic champion edition(about $50 dollars), i also have a double reed roy rhodes had tuned call(about$100-$125 and not bought by me, was gotten as a gift),which is the most expensive 1 i ownsounds like the others,and i have a knight&hale whistle. i use each call equally being as each has a different natural tone, sounding like different hens sittin on the water.each call i have no problem simulating any type of call with any of the calls i use.JUST KEEP TRYIN U WILL GET IT 1 OF THESE DAYS. remember this each call is tuned different. learn how 2 blow it adjust ur style a little bit so it sounds good,or just play with reeds a bit to get what u want :thumbsup:
DuckKillinD
hunter

Postby drakefolder » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:06 am

I always use a double reed, it allows you to have a more versatile sound...you can make several different sounds with it
duck buster
drakefolder
Newb

Postby drakefolder » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:09 am

If you want a great call get the haydel redleg, its a double reed that I have used in 10 degree weather and it wont ever freeze up on you. It is the best call I have worked with to perform the feeder call accurately.
duck buster
drakefolder
Newb

Postby quackkiller » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:42 pm

I've got a quackhead and it is one of my favorite calls. It sounds just as good as my RNT acrylic call.

As for the feed call, a single reed is by far the easiest to blow it on.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:47 pm

I am not expert caller, but I had GREAT luck with a DR-85 this weekend doing the feeder saying duhdit-duhdit-dit-dit-dit-duhdit

I just read the back of the instructions, it worked great.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:22 pm

the easy call to do the feeding call with on the market now is i think the big river duck call although its double reed system isn';t very lound when you get them in close it is clear and easy to blow
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum