any tips for a new duck caller

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

any tips for a new duck caller

Postby arizonaduckhunter13 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:59 pm

i just got a new mallard call from ducks unlimited and i've taken it out once i seem to scare the ducks off alot and i am sure i do not use the call to much they will answer to the loud hail call to come in but they won't land how do you do a proper approval to land sound
I'll call you my hunting partner when you jump into freezing water to get my ducks
arizonaduckhunter13
hunter

Postby KO » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:38 pm

Once you've got their attention, tone it down...use an excited version of the hail call....just much shorter in length and not nearly as loud...then use soft single quacks....pay attention to how the birds react to each call......remember the birds have been hunted since September...sometimes little of no calling is better than too much calling....dont call them when their looking at you either...they can pinpoint where the call is coming from......
KO
hunter

Postby athomeruddy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:47 pm

a good way to find out what sounds are appropriate is go sit down on a lake you know holds ducks in the night. Go down before sundown and listen to those guys quack and feed. (a lot of community ponds have nightly visiters as they are safe from pressure there)

Another tip is dont call when they are lookin at you, a person can have a really wierd sounding quack and still get ducks to come in, however if they pick you out you are outa luck!

keep practicing, a lot of good tapes and videos out there!
athomeruddy
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:58 pm

getcha a cd,

keith allen's: the foundamentals of duck call operation
Echo's: Duck Callin 101
Rnt's: the right stuff
Buck Gardner Calls: straight talk

Or get in touch with a call maker and im sure he would be happy to help you.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby Lurcher » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:42 pm

Another good thing to do is to get an old cassette recorder or record yourself using your computer, then compare your sounds to those on your instructional material or check out some of the calling on sites like http://www.callingducks.com or the sound files on the RNT website.

As far as learning to blow your call to finish ducks, most instructional videos only teach you how to operate the call they don't really cover actual hunting scenarios. The Duck Commander's "The art of Commanding ducks" while not the best video for learning to blow a duck call does have some useful pointers towards the end on working ducks. Some duck hunting videos (non instructional) have some good sequences also.

Another thing that is worth doing is to get out your duck call in the off season, head out to an area frequented by mallards and practice working ducks into shooting range. I often take mine out when fishing and I'll hunker down and call at passing mallards for a bit of entertainment.
Lurcher
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:41 pm

Don't take this too personal, just trying to help. You should consider buying some duck hunting videos such as Phil Robertson the "Duck Commander" and believe me HE is! or Bernie Caleb " Take em" and you could learn a whole lot about all aspects of duck hunting including some great examples of duck calling. Sure wish they had those things things in the 60's when I was trying to learn everything there was to learn about duck hunting. And it never ends, I'm still in the learning process. :thumbsup:
:withstupid:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum