when to start calling

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

when to start calling

Postby Humboldt Drake » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:42 pm

im new to duck hunting, my first season wasn't much of a success. i think it was because of my calling i need a few tips on what to blow and when to blow, also how nessecary is calling? some of my friends dont call and they get thier limit almost every hunt.
Humboldt Drake
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:11 pm

get some calling cds and practice.i wouldnt call while hunting.tell you get good at it.if your a good caller its good if your a bad caller you just scare the ducks away.you can still get ducks without calling.i heard a guy calling sounded like he was blowing a kazoo.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Calling

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:20 pm

I call very little. No highball or feeding call. Just a few quacks and I use a drake whistle some. I killed at least 3 ducks every time I went out and have shot tons of ducks using this method. The blowhard city guys get em spooked quick out here. Seems like everyone with a gun and a couple decoys thinks they can call and hunt.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby DuckKillinD » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:28 am

i use a hail call about 2 times 2 try an get there attention, if there interested an start turning, as they get close i may give them a few chuckles of a feeding call may be some suttle quacks an boom, wing r cuped, birds r dropping, an my gun is sreamin.
call'em in haul'em out
DuckKillinD
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:15 am

When in doubt shut up. I mostly hunt big water and hail calls have worked for me. Once they get inside of 350 yards I quiet down to quacks and feed call.

If you're not confident in your calling skills don't call when they get in close.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby redlegged mallard » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:09 pm

u can call to much and u can also call not enough.
redlegged mallard
hunter

Postby darick silsby » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:00 pm

If they'r comen let em come. you don't have to call anymore. If the duck starts to get off course, call a little and see what happens.If the duck corrects its course[that is to meet up with your gun barrel], don't call anymore.If he continues to stray a way from you, you have nothing to loose by giving the duck a good who's your mother on your duck call.If it works, bang! If it don't, you never had him in the first place.
aim small miss small,
Mel Gibson- The patriot
darick silsby
hunter

Postby plainsman » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:02 pm

Maybe this will help a little bit
http://www.ducks.org/waterfowling/calli ... g_tips.asp
I highball when they are out past 150 yd. to get attention and bring it down as they get closer. It's been working for me.
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby duckdog » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:04 pm

Ever sit on the water, with other set up's all over and duck's are coming, and everybody go's nut's on there call's, and duck's stay up high and just circle, this is the time to shut up! I like to use a pintail, or wood duck call alot to, it seem's to work pertty good when everybody else is using a hen mallard call, throw something a little different at them! Practice, practice, practice just like shooting it take's time to get good at anything, maybe try going out before season, and calling see what the duck's come to or run from
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:54 pm

In my area... If ya high ball em, they immediatly gain 5,000 ft. and head to the Big Muddy...We call at wing tips and tails only... 3 quacks...Quack...quack....quack :thumbsup: There will be times when ya get a few working from all directions. You might hear a hen qwacking...give her a short greeting...Quack, quack, quack, quack, quack...dropping off at the end. I like my whistle as well :yes: :yes: :yes: Y'all have a nice day :cool:

:hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:37 am

Echo makes a calling CD called Calling 101. it talks alot about what sounds to use in different situations. there are other CD's out there too. RNT makes one that is supposed to be pretty good, but the Echo one is the only one i've heard so i can't speak for the others.

most important..and it has been said here already. if they are coming. LET THEM COME! don't call at birds that are coming right at you. that is probably the biggest calling mistake people make and i have been guilty of it many times.

I use alot of feed chuckles, quacks and some soft 3-5 note greetings when i'm working birds. I don't try to call them in from 500 yards out. instead, I let the decoys do the work and just start calling to them when they get close. say, inside 200 yards or so. that's just me..it fits my style of hunting and works well in my areas.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum