Duck Hunting Forum banner

jj lares

26K views 184 replies 39 participants last post by  RefugeRat4Life 
#1 ·
We had guy hunting with us that was blowing a lares it by far was one of the best sounding calls I've heard it just sounded different than everyone else. Does any body have one? What one do u suggest? Are they single or double reed? Don't know much about them.

#2 ·
Joe Lares is a legendary callmaker. At 85 he is still at the top of his game, and a finer gentleman you will not find.

He brings his engineering expertise to call making. His calls are so precisely machined that parts are interchangeable within models. He's an innovator as well, and his tuning design is ingenious, using a plastic wedge to anchor reeds of various lengths and shapes to get the desired sound. He has 3 basic duck calls--A-5 (open water), Hybrid, and Timber-1. Each model has its devotees, but I believe the hybrid is most popular owing to its versatility. Don't sell the T-! short, though, cuz it's a little mighty mouse that is pretty versatile too. I don't have the A-5, but it is next on my list.

The material Joe uses is unreal. Acrylic is his standard, but his vast array of exhibition wood is stunning. He also will build you an all metal call in aluminum or stainless steel. Micarta is one of his most sought after materials. On request, he will sleeve wood barrels with acrylic to keep moisture off the wood, and the black acrylic end cap is very sharp looking. He will also use your material if you wish. Not only is his fit and finish out of this world, the shape of his calls are among the most comely. In fact, to my eyes his checkered A-5 is the most handsome call on the market.

Lares calls have a nationwide following, and hold their value well. When they appear on ebay or the classifieds one must trigger quickly to beat the demand.

If you are a goose hunter Joe makes great goose calls too. One of the great mysteries to me is why they haven't achieve the renown of his duck calls. He has a new goose call out which I don't have yet, but I do have a honker and a lesser call that are among my favorites.

ken

#3 ·
Twisp said:
Joe Lares is a legendary callmaker. At 85 he is still at the top of his game, and a finer gentleman you will not find.

He brings his engineering expertise to call making. His calls are so precisely machined that parts are interchangeable within models. He's an innovator as well, and his tuning design is ingenious, using a plastic wedge to anchor reeds of various lengths and shapes to get the desired sound. He has 3 basic duck calls--A-5 (open water), Hybrid, and Timber-1. Each model has its devotees, but I believe the hybrid is most popular owing to its versatility. Don't sell the T-! short, though, cuz it's a little mighty mouse that is pretty versatile too. I don't have the A-5, but it is next on my list.

The material Joe uses is unreal. Acrylic is his standard, but his vast array of exhibition wood is stunning. He also will build you an all metal call in aluminum or stainless steel. Micarta is one of his most sought after materials. On request, he will sleeve wood barrels with acrylic to keep moisture off the wood, and the black acrylic end cap is very sharp looking. He will also use your material if you wish. Not only is his fit and finish out of this world, the shape of his calls are among the most comely. In fact, to my eyes his checkered A-5 is the most handsome call on the market.

Lares calls have a nationwide following, and hold their value well. When they appear on ebay or the classifieds one must trigger quickly to beat the demand.

If you are a goose hunter Joe makes great goose calls too. One of the great mysteries to me is why they haven't achieve the renown of his duck calls. He has a new goose call out which I don't have yet, but I do have a honker and a lesser call that are among my favorites.

ken
:beer:

#6 ·
Yeah, LA, I remember your preference for Hybrids, which has me wondering why you hang on to those two old style checkered A-5s that must be way too loud down there in those LA jungle swamps. I'm certain I know a guy who would give one of them a good home and a good time in some enormous WA wheat fields, where just loud is seldom enough.

#7 ·
Twisp said:
Yeah, LA, I remember your preference for Hybrids, which has me wondering why you hang on to those two old style checkered A-5s that must be way too loud down there in those LA jungle swamps. I'm certain I know a guy who would give one of them a good home and a good time in some enormous WA wheat fields, where just loud is seldom enough.
yeah i've got quite a few calls that would probably look good on some others lanyards :lol3:

and those arent my only two old A-5's :tongue:

#8 ·
Okay, rub it in, forcing me to hex those LSU Tigers tonight.

I know you southern boys love Obama, which surely means you endorse his "share the wealth" philosophy.

Back on topic: Brett is one of a legion of Lares call collectors, which speaks to the desirability and endearment of Joe's calls among waterfowlers across the country. One such collector is auctioning a couple of very nice calls on ebay at this moment. I expect these will go at prices that will have me hyperventilating.

#10 ·
I assume you mean complement (not compliment) to ask will the hybrid fill a calling need that the dc cannot do as well so that together both calls might cover most calling needs for a given hunt. There are others here that could answer this more authoritatively than me cuz all I know about the dc is what I read, but I believe these calls are less complementary and more direct competitors, i.e., both calls were designed to do the same basic job. They might be complementary in the sense that in doing the same job one might be more successful on any given day than the other owing to tonal differences so that having both might be advantageous. That said, I get the feeling that most Lares or RNT devotees don't look very hard outside of their chosen brands for complementary help. I could be wrong but I'm thinking a dc and hybrid on the same lanyard might comport as well as my ex and me.

#11 ·
i currently have an old RNT shortbarrel and lares hybrid on my lanyard. they compliment eachother nicely. I've always liked the hybrid so much because it can be tuned to fill a wide variety of roles.

i do think that a RNT DC and lares hybrid will go together very well. hell i'd hang'em both on my lanyard any day.

#12 ·
No problem deferring to your experience with both calls, Brett, and hanging two great calls of the same lanyard is never a bad idea, but for my own edification what does the dc bring that the hybrid doesn't and vice versa? Yeah, that short barrel is the darling on many strings it seems, which is why I finally broke down and ordered one.

#13 ·
I just ordered my first Lares Hybrid and I can't wait to use it. I currently run a DC Diablo and hate that it gets to sticking after a few hail calls and hurry ups. I hope the Hybrid lives up to its no stick name. All in all I am excited none the less!

#14 ·
RefugeRat4Life said:
I just ordered my first Lares Hybrid and I can't wait to use it. I currently run a DC Diablo and hate that it gets to sticking after a few hail calls and hurry ups. I hope the Hybrid lives up to its no stick name. All in all I am excited none the less!
They are very good calls! You will love your Hybrid! I just ordered a T-1 and it should be here in the next two days!

They ARE THE HARDEST to stick IMHO :thumbsup:

Make sure to post up a photo when you get it :thumbsup:

Oh...and :welcome: to Lares Land!

#16 ·
mayhem96 said:
RefugeRat4Life said:
They are very good calls! You will love your Hybrid! I just ordered a T-1 and it should be here in the next two days!

They ARE THE HARDEST to stick IMHO :thumbsup:

Make sure to post up a photo when you get it :thumbsup:

Oh...and :welcome: to Lares Land!
Thank you for the welcome! :beer:

I have the itch almost as much as I do for the opener! I just sold one of my other calls and I will be looking into a t-1 small bore to compliment the hybrid. I cant wait to run em!

Ill post some pics as soon as I get em.

:biggrin:

#17 ·
I'm a very big believer in Lares call just as so many others are. I put my order in for a Hybrid and received it about 3 days ago and I couldn't be more happy with my purchase. I'm back on the Lares train and there is no going back. Joe's calls are consistent in sound. I know that everytime I pick up my Hyrbid it is going to sound the same and it WILL bring in birds. Hopefully sending Joe a little Buckeye Burl to get a T-1 turned.

#26 ·
As of this season I only have one duck call on the lanyard and that would be a lares hybrid with the 1.365 reed. This call sounds amazing and none of my other calls even come close to being used again. I see the t1 small bore in my future but for what I do the hybrid can do it all. And it is kinda nice not having all the calls around my neck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.