jj lares

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

Re: jj lares

Postby CrazyDrake » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:38 am

absolutely love mine! Can't wait to actually use in in the field in 2 and a half weeks. My neighbors will probably be happy about that too!

Lares Hybrid Green barrel, clear insert.
CrazyDrake
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:07 am

I am driving people nuts sitting out here calling outside the living trailers on base. I am still waiting to see some middle eastern mallards with turbins and bombs on their wings come soaring over the horizon to my call and land in the endless sand lake they call desert. Ugh, get me home!
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Icelander513 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:55 pm

mayhem96 wrote:The A-5 should be considerably louder than the Hybrid...just saying :thumbsup:

Well it's not. I bet you've never blown an A-5. Just saying.
Icelander513
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:17 pm

mayhem96 wrote:
RefugeRat4Life wrote:I have not tried an A5.... so I wouldnt know. I am sure that sometime by next hunting season I will have one though :yes:

Just one? Most guys say they will only buy one Lares...we see how that usually turns out :lol3: :lol3: :fingerhead: :fingerhead:

Oh just because I dont have an A5(yet) doesnt mean I only have one Lares call....

I have a t-1 that will be hitting my doorstep tomorrow, a hybrid, a speck, and a Canada :yes:
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:21 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:I am driving people nuts sitting out here calling outside the living trailers on base. I am still waiting to see some middle eastern mallards with turbins and bombs on their wings come soaring over the horizon to my call and land in the endless sand lake they call desert. Ugh, get me home!

HAHAHA - screw em! They don't understand the fowl life!!!

How are you liking it?!
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:28 pm

Huntfish12 wrote:Alright, Im late to the party but Ive had my sights set for a Lare's call for a while now. Theres some things I dont know about them though. Whenever I pull the trigger Im going to go with the Hybrid. My question is, is it a single reed call? Are all his calls singles? Ive always run doubles, J-frame to be exact, and Ive always been reluctant to jump over to a single. But his calls sound so damm good!! Im fed up with buying all these junk calls and having them stick on me, that I need to buckle down and do it to it.
The reed lengths..What will the longer sound like comapred to the shorter? More raspy, less? More squeal, Less?
Dog Ears..Fill me in, Im clueless.
Small bore, larger bore..Same as above.

Im sure this has been covered more then once somewhere in the past so I apologize if this is a common question. Please Help.

Welcome to the party!! Late or not, once you go Lares you never go back!! lol

All of his calls are single reed. These calls require a different, cleaner air presentation(Less grunting, more control of pressure). I say you call Joe or Bret and talk with them as they can go over everything with you. They are some of the nicest guys around.

Hurry up and buy a Hybrid! They hold their value very well.

Cheers!
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:27 pm

Just got off the phone with Joe. I had originally intended just to talk to him about the differences between his calls and then think about it for a while, but now a black checkered A-5 is headed my way. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:05 pm

clampdaddy wrote:Just got off the phone with Joe. I had originally intended just to talk to him about the differences between his calls and then think about it for a while, but now a black checkered A-5 is headed my way. :lol3:

:lol3: :lol3: :clapping: :clapping: :beer: :beer:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:37 pm

clampdaddy wrote:Just got off the phone with Joe. I had originally intended just to talk to him about the differences between his calls and then think about it for a while, but now a black checkered A-5 is headed my way. :lol3:

Yea!!! :thumbsup:
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby Mill pond » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:52 am

Well hybrid came in the mail today and love it, can't get over how small it is but the sound is awesome! Will probably be selling some calls now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Mill pond
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:34 pm

Mill pond wrote:Well hybrid came in the mail today and love it, can't get over how small it is but the sound is awesome! Will probably be selling some calls now.

Wait until you get a T-1 :yes: :yes: :bow: :bow:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Mill pond » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:05 pm

Do you like the t-1 better then the hybrid?

Mill pond
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:15 pm

I do...yes.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Mill pond » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:24 pm

mayhem96 wrote:I do...yes.

Is your t-1 wood or acrylic?

Mill pond
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Mill pond wrote:

I have an all acrylic one and a wood barrel/acrylic insert one. Honestly, the wood barrel doesn't change the tone. The insert is where the sound is coming from but the wood ones look stunning. I'll be running mine in World Live Duck tomorrow :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Mill pond » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:21 pm

Good luck tonorrow.What wood did you end up getting? Mind sharing a picture?

Mill pond
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:27 pm

Mill pond wrote:Good luck tonorrow.What wood did you end up getting? Mind sharing a picture?

Thanks! I have an Olivewood T-1. The picture is awful...Olivewood is much darker in person. Send me your cell number and I can send you a better photo :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Icelander513 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:42 pm

Mill pond wrote:Do you like the t-1 better then the hybrid?

The T-1 and the Hybrid have the same exact insert, toneboard, and wedge assembly. They are dimensionally identical as well as interchangeable. The only difference between the two is the barrel. The difference between the barrels affects the sound characteristics negligibly.
Icelander513
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:26 am

mayhem96 wrote:
Mill pond wrote:

I have an all acrylic one and a wood barrel/acrylic insert one. Honestly, the wood barrel doesn't change the tone. The insert is where the sound is coming from but the wood ones look stunning. I'll be running mine in World Live Duck tomorrow :thumbsup:

Good luck brotha!
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:27 am

Icelander513 wrote:
Mill pond wrote:Do you like the t-1 better then the hybrid?

The T-1 and the Hybrid have the same exact insert, toneboard, and wedge assembly. They are dimensionally identical as well as interchangeable. The only difference between the two is the barrel. The difference between the barrels affects the sound characteristics negligibly.

I have both and I find that the only difference is the amount of pressure needed to run it. Also I can not make it whine as much as I can with my hybrid.
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:31 am

Well, Gang. Here is my Lares collection so far. Considering I got my first one last month(and if you can maybe tell, I am a loyal Lares man now) this is not a bad start! :yes:

From left to right: T-1 SB(1.340), Hybrid(1.340), Honker(Broken in guts by Ken White), Speck
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:13 pm

Just got my A-5. Love it. :thumbsup: I'm liking the 1.365 reed the best. I've heard that the Lares calls require a different style but the only place I notice it is on the cuts and chuckles.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Goosebuster13 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:28 pm

What is this "different" blowing technique with a lares call?? I hear how good people talk about them sounding but also hear you have to blow them a certain way...? This is hanging me up on my decision to either go with a lares hydrid or an rnt original/mvp.
Goosebuster13
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:26 am

Goosebuster13 wrote:What is this "different" blowing technique with a lares call?? I hear how good people talk about them sounding but also hear you have to blow them a certain way...? This is hanging me up on my decision to either go with a lares hydrid or an rnt original/mvp.

Cleaner air and less voice than you put in other calls. Takes a couple weeks to get use to them.
txhunter90
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:08 am

Goosebuster13 wrote:What is this "different" blowing technique with a lares call?? I hear how good people talk about them sounding but also hear you have to blow them a certain way...? This is hanging me up on my decision to either go with a lares hydrid or an rnt original/mvp.

The only real difference I have noticed is on the bottom end. It doesn't take much to get the reed moving so a little more control is required to make deeper sounding cuts and chuckles. For higher pitch, squeaky cuts and chuckles I use what was my normal technique.

I still add some voice when I blow my A5. I like a real deep, boss hen sound.
clampdaddy
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum