jj lares

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl, Mallyard

Re: jj lares

Postby txhunter90 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:15 am

clampdaddy wrote:
Goosebuster13 wrote:What is this "different" blowing technique with a lares call?? I hear how good people talk about them sounding but also hear you have to blow them a certain way...? This is hanging me up on my decision to either go with a lares hydrid or an rnt original/mvp.

The only real difference I have noticed is on the bottom end. It doesn't take much to get the reed moving so a little more control is required to make deeper sounding cuts and chuckles. For higher pitch, squeaky cuts and chuckles I use what was my normal technique.

I still add some voice when I blow my A5. I like a real deep, boss hen sound.

I still put voice in my hybrid but that sas how I was explained to blow a lares. To hard to change up that quick
txhunter90
hunter

Postby cupnglide » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:50 pm

Goosebuster, those two calls, Hybrid and MVP, couldn't be more different. You need to find some folks nearby who will let you try the calls. The Hybrid is likely the raspiest call on the market. And the MVP is one if the cleanest. Both sound better (IMO) with clean air. That is, don't grunt or growl into the call. Change the height of your tongue to get different sounds out of them. Some folks like the growl in the call. Different strokes.
cupnglide
hunter

Postby Einstein » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:47 pm

Order my Lares hybrid today! Black Barrel with an Ivory insert...will post pics when it comes!
Einstein says: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Check out my build:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=465930
Einstein
hunter

Postby k.s. » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:25 pm

If you are use to a cleaner call, it will take a while to get used to a hybrid. It's got a ton of rasp in it. I got one last week and have spent about several hours a day practicing. I was ready to return it at first. It's definitely different to operate it but stick with it, it's a bad bad call.
k.s.
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:41 pm

Blow clean, cold air with a small mouth cavity...almost like you are whistling.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:06 am

Ok, so I have been practicing daily with my new t1, and it was just never sounding quite as good as I was hoping for. I finally got desperate and flipped the reed over (bottom of U curve facing up), and it sounds awesome! Great hold, but I can still power through it for great squeals, and takes way less air. Am I retarded, or does anyone else run their call like this. I have no idea why it worked, but it did.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:23 pm

Anyone anyone?? I'm not trolling, I'm bein dead serious here!
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:44 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:Ok, so I have been practicing daily with my new t1, and it was just never sounding quite as good as I was hoping for. I finally got desperate and flipped the reed over (bottom of U curve facing up), and it sounds awesome! Great hold, but I can still power through it for great squeals, and takes way less air. Am I retarded, or does anyone else run their call like this. I have no idea why it worked, but it did.

Thats the way the reed should face,curve should face up,never have ran a call tuned with the reed down,but have heard of others who have with varying results,if it works for that is all that matters.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Maybe I'm not describing it correctly. If the reed bend was a U, it should be on like a U where both tips bend away from the toneboard. This is how every tuning video I have ever watched tells you to put it.

I just flipped mine over so both ends bend towards the toneboard. That is not how people do it to my knowledge.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:13 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:Maybe I'm not describing it correctly. If the reed bend was a U, it should be on like a U where both tips bend away from the toneboard. This is how every tuning video I have ever watched tells you to put it.

I just flipped mine over so both ends bend towards the toneboard. That is not how people do it to my knowledge.

Got ya,bend down,kinda of figured that in you other post.
I've never ran a call with the reed bend that follows curvature of the toneboard,like I mentioned have known a few who have, and it works for them.
I have even heard of some who do the same thing on a short reed goose call reed.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:35 pm

Yeah i dunno, none of my other calls are flipped over and they run fine. This one made a world of difference. Like ya said, if it works for me, I will keep it that way.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby tsaylor1979 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:58 am

I've heard others subscribe to the "flip the reed theory" as well. Whatever works, is right.
tsaylor1979
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:09 pm

Here's the deal...if the reed bend is up (the reed forms a dome shape) that will usually take some rattle out of the call and make the call squeakier. That is how I run a Lares. If the reed bend is down, it will have more rattle. Most call makers tune their calls this way.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:10 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:Yeah i dunno, none of my other calls are flipped over and they run fine. This one made a world of difference. Like ya said, if it works for me, I will keep it that way.

I run mine like yours. and it runnnnnns clean!
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:09 am

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I felt weird.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Dbishop311 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:53 pm

Cup goes up, bow goes down. Put the reed in right and learn to run with it :thumbsup:
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:10 pm

Dbishop311 wrote:Cup goes up, bow goes down. Put the reed in right and learn to run with it :thumbsup:

If I run it just fine turned over, why would I try to change it? Don't try to fix what works.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Einstein » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:04 pm

My newest call...
Attachments
IMAG0106_1.jpg
Einstein says: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Check out my build:
Einstein
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:19 pm

Sweet looking Hybrid! Is that Mallard green or black? I have been thinking of getting a Mallard green/ivory Hybrid soon.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Einstein » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:24 pm

It's black. I was thinking about getting that same combo, but chose the black. Running a 1.355 in there right now. Sounds absolutely unbelievable.

Check out my build:
Einstein
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:43 pm

Einstein wrote:It's black. I was thinking about getting that same combo, but chose the black. Running a 1.355 in there right now. Sounds absolutely unbelievable.

They all do. Joe and Bret make an awesome duck call and a Lares is my favorite duck call. Now you need to get a squeaky lil' T-1...
mayhem96
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:45 pm

sweet call Einstein!!!
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby Einstein » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:03 pm

Thanks guys! I'm thoroughly impressed. If you're thinking about buying one of these, stop thinking and give Joe a call. Ordered on a Tuesday, got here Saturday, in NC.

Check out my build:
Einstein
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:41 am

Got my first banded drake mallard on Saturday with the sweet talk from my Hybrid! :biggrin:

JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:45 am

cupnglide wrote:Goosebuster, those two calls, Hybrid and MVP, couldn't be more different. You need to find some folks nearby who will let you try the calls. The Hybrid is likely the raspiest call on the market. And the MVP is one if the cleanest. Both sound better (IMO) with clean air. That is, don't grunt or growl into the call. Change the height of your tongue to get different sounds out of them. Some folks like the growl in the call. Different strokes.

:huh: MVPs have a ton of rattle if run right, not sure how they are one of the cleanest on the market
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum