jj lares

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

Re: jj lares

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:46 am

Boom, she made it! This thing is so much smaller than I pictured. But daggum she packs a punch! I LOVE it. I really think I would like the small bore a tad more though, just because that's what I'm used to. I am gonna give this a good go though before I trade up. If anything I will just buy a small bore insert and swap them out depending on my situation. Thanks TX for hookin me up. This thing is awesome.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1383378263929.jpg
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:48 am

Oh, and I bought a reed kit...it came with 5 reeds, all of which were 1.335. Is that normal? I was kinda expecting varying sizes to try different sounds.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:32 am

Nice clean looking T-1...I have the same exact one. As far as the reed kit goes...not sure. Just call Bret up and tell him you want some different reeds...mention some longer Hybrid reeds and you can get reeds like the 1.355-1.375. I really like the 1.375 reed :thumbsup:

Nothing against the SB (I have never run one) BUT, my thought process is why limit yourself? A J.J. Lares T-1 is one of the best duck calls IMHO :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:56 am

B.E.Nelli wrote:Boom, she made it! This thing is so much smaller than I pictured. But daggum she packs a punch! I LOVE it. I really think I would like the small bore a tad more though, just because that's what I'm used to. I am gonna give this a good go though before I trade up. If anything I will just buy a small bore insert and swap them out depending on my situation. Thanks TX for hookin me up. This thing is awesome.

NICE!!! Congrats bro! :grooving:

I just ponied up and purchased the small bore t-1 also. I should be getting it this coming Wednesday. I love my hybrid soooo much though. It can roll with the loudest of high balls but also give the sweetest single quacks and chuckles. When I talked to Joe Lares about the small bore(I wanted to order one for my hybrid) he said that you should be able to use your hand to block the air flow and get the same range with a regular bore as you would with a small bore. Anyways I will post up a sound file and pics of the two different bores so we can hear if there is a difference.

I don't think I told you but I also rounded out my lanyard with a Lares Speck call and Canada call as well! You can say that I am a loyal Lares man.

Oh and by the way... I have already slammed a couple greenheads with the Lares sweet talk :) Nothing like it baby!!!

WELCOME TO LARES LAND!!! :welcome: :beer:
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:57 am

B.E.Nelli wrote:Oh, and I bought a reed kit...it came with 5 reeds, all of which were 1.335. Is that normal? I was kinda expecting varying sizes to try different sounds.

Give them a call and see if they were supposed to give you different lengths.... It might be different for the t-1.
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:27 am

RefugeRat4Life wrote:
B.E.Nelli wrote:Oh, and I bought a reed kit...it came with 5 reeds, all of which were 1.335. Is that normal? I was kinda expecting varying sizes to try different sounds.

Give them a call and see if they were supposed to give you different lengths.... It might be different for the t-1.

Yeah man I got ahold of Pete, the guy who sold it to me. He mixed up the bags. He is sending out the assorted bag today!
Dude this thing is sweet. It took me a bit to figure it out, but I am getting the hang of it. Definitely takes different air, but in a way is dare I say easier to blow than my BGB. I have been experimenting with air, lips, hands and finding all sorts of sounds. I think he's right, I can soften it up and create enough back pressure to not need the small bore. These Louisana style calls just take some minor adjustment.

Glad to hear you are all out lares now! Geez, lol. It will take me awhile to phase completely over.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:45 am

B.E.Nelli wrote:
RefugeRat4Life wrote:

Yeah man I got ahold of Pete, the guy who sold it to me. He mixed up the bags. He is sending out the assorted bag today!
Dude this thing is sweet. It took me a bit to figure it out, but I am getting the hang of it. Definitely takes different air, but in a way is dare I say easier to blow than my BGB. I have been experimenting with air, lips, hands and finding all sorts of sounds. I think he's right, I can soften it up and create enough back pressure to not need the small bore. These Louisana style calls just take some minor adjustment.

Glad to hear you are all out lares now! Geez, lol. It will take me awhile to phase completely over.

Well I am glad you figured out the reed situation. I can definitely hit some crazy range with my Hybrid but I just wanted an excuse to buy the t-1. The goose calls just so happened to fall in my lap so to speak at an unbeatable deal. The canada call has custom broken in guts from Ken White. I said screw it! :lol3:

Enjoy the new call brother!
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby Mill pond » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:53 pm

Would you prefer a Wood or Acrylic lares call?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Mill pond
hunter

Postby Mill pond » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:06 pm

Looking at maybe getting one any suggestions, t-1 or hybrid any advantages to either. I mainly hunt swamps, flooded timber, small ponds. Also wood or acrylic. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Mill pond
hunter

Postby tsaylor1979 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:47 am

Wood or acrylic, they sound about as identical as my ears can tell. Just decide if you want to pay more for a beautiful wood call or pay the standard price for the acrylic. Can't go wrong either way.

Hybrid or T-1, I prefer the hybrid for all situations. With that said, the t-1 is supposed to have the better low end which is better for the situations you described.

All of this is my opinion.
tsaylor1979
hunter

Postby Mill pond » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:16 am

Has anyone ever tried or seen a acrylic lined wood t-1 or hybrid? Ant benefits to it?
Mill pond
hunter

Postby DarenDeath » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:20 pm

Mill pond wrote:Has anyone ever tried or seen a acrylic lined wood t-1 or hybrid? Ant benefits to it?

They all have acrylic tone-board/insert. Lares calls have 3 piece construction instead of 2. You can change parts with other Lares calls. Joe is a machinist and makes his calls with great engineering design.
I don't think they're made with all wood, the wood calls are just more pretty. Or if you're really keen hearing, you may notice a difference. I own a hedge hybrid and the barrel is all wood but I can't tell from my acrylic.
DarenDeath
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:17 pm

DarenDeath wrote:
Mill pond wrote:Has anyone ever tried or seen a acrylic lined wood t-1 or hybrid? Ant benefits to it?

They all have acrylic tone-board/insert. Lares calls have 3 piece construction instead of 2. You can change parts with other Lares calls. Joe is a machinist and makes his calls with great engineering design.
I don't think they're made with all wood, the wood calls are just more pretty. Or if you're really keen hearing, you may notice a difference. I own a hedge hybrid and the barrel is all wood but I can't tell from my acrylic.

Lares used to make ALL wood calls. I believe that he only offers the wood barrels with acrylic inserts now. My acrylic sounds amazing and it will never change tone as long as I replace reeds a couple times a year.
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:01 am

Picked up an A5 to compliment the Hybrid. Really just needed something similar that I could switch to when the other one is frozen.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:08 pm

Troutslayer wrote: Picked up an A5 to compliment the Hybrid. Really just needed something similar that I could switch to when the other one is frozen.

How do you like the A5 compared to the Hybrid? Been thinking about buying one or the other but I can't decide which one. Is the Hybrid really that much better on the bottom than the A5?
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Mill pond » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:33 pm

Just broke down and ordered one. Bret and joe are super nice. Can't wait to give it a try.

Mill pond
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Mill pond wrote:Just broke down and ordered one. Bret and joe are super nice. Can't wait to give it a try.

Welcome to Lares Land! You are now hooked and there is no going back :lol: :lol:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Troutslayer wrote:Image

Picked up an A5 to compliment the Hybrid. Really just needed something similar that I could switch to when the other one is frozen.

That's what it is all about...sweet lanyard sir :bow: :bow:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:17 pm

mayhem96 wrote:
Mill pond wrote:Just broke down and ordered one. Bret and joe are super nice. Can't wait to give it a try.

Welcome to Lares Land! You are now hooked and there is no going back :lol: :lol:

LOL - :welcome: to LARES LAND

:beer:
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:19 pm

I have not tried an A5.... so I wouldnt know. I am sure that sometime by next hunting season I will have one though :yes:
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:18 pm

RefugeRat4Life wrote:I have not tried an A5.... so I wouldnt know. I am sure that sometime by next hunting season I will have one though :yes:

Just one? Most guys say they will only buy one Lares...we see how that usually turns out :lol3: :lol3: :fingerhead: :fingerhead:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:36 pm

clampdaddy wrote:How do you like the A5 compared to the Hybrid? Been thinking about buying one or the other but I can't decide which one. Is the Hybrid really that much better on the bottom than the A5?

The two calls are similar. I can get more "squeal" out of the hybrid, but as far as bottom end I bet you couldn't tell which is which from 10 feet away. I was hoping that the A5 would be louder, it really isn't. I like the A5 better for sweet talking in close, but they're both pretty good at it. I'm not really sure which one I like better, I don't think you can go wrong with either as long as that style of call is for you.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:16 pm

Troutslayer wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:How do you like the A5 compared to the Hybrid? Been thinking about buying one or the other but I can't decide which one. Is the Hybrid really that much better on the bottom than the A5?

The two calls are similar. I can get more "squeal" out of the hybrid, but as far as bottom end I bet you couldn't tell which is which from 10 feet away. I was hoping that the A5 would be louder, it really isn't. I like the A5 better for sweet talking in close, but they're both pretty good at it. I'm not really sure which one I like better, I don't think you can go wrong with either as long as that style of call is for you.

The A-5 should be considerably louder than the Hybrid...just saying :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:33 pm

mayhem96 wrote:
Troutslayer wrote:

The A-5 should be considerably louder than the Hybrid...just saying :thumbsup:

That's not really what I'm just saying. Negligibly louder.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:25 am

Alright, Im late to the party but Ive had my sights set for a Lare's call for a while now. Theres some things I dont know about them though. Whenever I pull the trigger Im going to go with the Hybrid. My question is, is it a single reed call? Are all his calls singles? Ive always run doubles, J-frame to be exact, and Ive always been reluctant to jump over to a single. But his calls sound so damm good!! Im fed up with buying all these junk calls and having them stick on me, that I need to buckle down and do it to it.
The reed lengths..What will the longer sound like comapred to the shorter? More raspy, less? More squeal, Less?
Dog Ears..Fill me in, Im clueless.
Small bore, larger bore..Same as above.

Im sure this has been covered more then once somewhere in the past so I apologize if this is a common question. Please Help.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum