Is the money worth it?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Is the money worth it?

Postby coco_05 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:01 am

Hey yall. Ive been thinking about buying a pretty expensive duck call for a while now. And I was just wondering if buying a 130 dollar ,or more duck call is really worth it and if so what should i go with? I have a problem with my calls sticking at times so it would have to be one that wouldnt stick on me all the time. Thanks.
coco_05
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:34 am

all duck calls will stick given the right circumstances. More inexpensive calls work as well as expensive ones. But if you want a more expensive call go and get one. But because you spend a great deal of money on a fine call it will not magically bring ducks in any better than a moderately priced one. The sticking problem has more to do with moisture and outside temp than the price of the call.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:11 am

Nope not worth it in my opinion. I have a 119 dollar call, i like my 8 dollar call just as much if not more. IF YOU BUY EXPENSIVE ACRYLIC CALLS YOUR PAYING ALOT MORE MONEY FOR A TINY BIT MORE QUALITY. :thumbsup:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby texan68 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:44 pm

If you know how to call, you can bring in ducks with any call.
texan68
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Also remember that like all products meant for a consumer group there are some "Marketing" ploys involved. Kinda like the guy with a certain type of car that gets this hot chick. Sometimes you are paying for name brand. I have 3 duck calls, all are under 100.00$ Each one has a particular tone. I have a single reed high pitched call for hail calls, a lower pitched single reed for when birds are definetly in ear shot and eyesight of the dekes but are circling trying to make up thier mind. And a raspier moderate pitch double reed for "cutting". In duck calling for hunting remember its what you call at them and when you call at them that are effective. But again, I do know some more expensive calls are wonderful to use and have some great sound qualities. Being somewhat of a musicain you gotta remember that a call is a musical instrument of sorts. Tone quality is the most important feature.
Citori12

Postby AK Ducks » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:28 pm

my friends have a ton of calls each one sounds differntly I like there some of there inexepensevive calls just as much as there high priced ones they think it gets better but I think you should look at what other people are useing and if you like the sound (well if the ducks like the sound) you should get that call.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:56 pm

Spend what you can afford...... I have a $3.00 plastic call that is cracked that seems to call ducks just as good as others we use..... If you have cabbage to buy a $130 call go for it. Is it going to get you more ducks.... I doubt it
Boomn4x4

Postby casey_714 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:42 pm

I don't really see the "need" to get that expensive of a call. I think it's just the fact that you know you're blowing something expensive, and it makes you feel "special".
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby Rat Creek » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:29 am

Not worth it. The world of duck hunting has many neat gadgets and I would spend my money somewhere else.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Penguine » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:35 pm

Could think of it like this, hunters of the past did not have $130 acrylic calls, high tech clothing and guns, and they still killed ducks.
Penguine
hunter

Postby texan68 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:36 pm

Penguine wrote:Could think of it like this, hunters of the past did not have $130 acrylic calls, high tech clothing and guns, and they still killed ducks.

:withstupid: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
texan68
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:03 pm

IMO acrylic sticks more than cheaper polycarb or wood calls.

You can pick up good used highend calls for around $70-$90 to save a little. Custom wood calls can often be had for around $50-60 used.

Do you need a high end custom call to kill ducks? Nope. Do you need a gortex coat? nope. Do you need fancy fleece lined waders when $40 rubber or canvas waders keep you dry? Nope.

My point is, you don't need a $1400 SBE shotgun and a fancy call, but if you enjoy it and it makes you happy than great. If you can't afford it or don't want it then don't worry about it.

I like the range you get out of the higher end calls, there are some really good poly carb calls on the market right now though.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:14 am

I don't think that you have to have a high dollar call, but they are nice. I have expensive calls that I like as much as I do some cheaper calls. But I also have a few cheap calls that I just think are aweful. But one thing I would recommend is just go out and try a few calls out before you buy it. If you sound the best on a $150 call, buy it. But if you sound the best on a $25 call, get that one. Just find one that fits you the best, it's the sound of the call when you blow on it that counts, not how much the thing cost.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby Penguine » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:25 pm

Do like I did, find a hunting partner that can call his ass off. Let him call and you pay for gas to get you out to the marsh.
Penguine
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:27 pm

not worth the money. they still stick. i bought a few $150+ calls and i never use them. they sound like crap and they squeel. i just use my trusty olt double reed i've been using for the last 15 years. it cost me $20.00 and i never have a problem with it and it sticks just a little in the heavy rain.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby Bret » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:31 pm

Are they worth it?

The most expensive functional call I have ever purchased was a $150 RNT MVP. Though a great call If you are not a contest caller it is not worth it. IMO

I have a lot of hunting calls that range from $55 new to say $125.

I also have a bunch of cheaper calls.

IMO all callers being equal You definatly get something out of the "custom type" calls. All callers are not equal though. We all have different mouth cavity sizes, different abilities, and styles. I think it is a beautiful thing because it allows for the wonderful sellection of calls we have to choose from.
Some may not notice a difference in sound especially beginers from cheap to expensive.
One of the first customs I ever bought I was talking to the call maker over the phone, and he asked what I wanted built into the call. I had no idea what he was talking about really so I just said I want great top end great bottom end and wonderful mid range, and I want a loud call that can tone down easily for finish work. He said he would do his best but that you had to give a little somewhere, and he wanted to hear me call so I called for him..... to make a short story long. He then said It would do him no good to build certain things into the call because I would not be able to get those sounds out of it. He sent me a call I loved. My point is if you are at a point where you feal like an expensive call go for it, you may not notice a difference right away but I think the right one could make you elevate you calling ability.

I don't know if it will fix the wet sticking problem. Some calls I own stick on me bad when wet.....other guys have no problem with their version of the same call. Some calls they say stick on them bad, I own one of and have never had a problem. I think it is finding the right call for the right caller to some extent. Another thing is this, I have two Buck Gardener acrylic spit techs one is a main street the other a TT the mainstreet will not no matter how wet or cold you get it stick. I even got it wet and froze it and after a funny first quack it ran like a champ. the TT gets wet and sticks pretty bad. I am going to send it back to Buck to see if it can be worked a little. You may have Two Daisy cutters one may have more of a tendancey to stick on you than the other. There is a difference even from call to call. Some calls certainly seem more prone to sticking than others. I think poorly maintained ( old flat cork, dirty....) calls stick worse than clean maintained calls, but that is not always a factor.
Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby Lurcher » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:02 pm

For me the calling is as enjoyable as the shooting, if I was going hunting and I left my calls behind I'd probably turn around and go home. I don't feel guilty about buying nice calls.

I agree with Brett a custom call can help improve your calling. I started on cheap doubles and after gaining some confidence switched to an acrylic single reed. I sounded awful, squeally hail calls, squeeky greetings, but with practice I improved and I now sound better than I ever did on any call, cheap or expensive and I'm still trying to improve. I probably sold several calls that I shouldn't have, the problem was me and not the call.

One thing I have noticed about custom calls is that the open water models can go way louder than most of the cheaper calls. A DR85 can call ducks great, but on a windy day on stubbles or open water I'd rather have a loud acrylic call.

Also service from custom call makers (in most cases) is awesome. If you need a retune, a repair or some advice it is only an email or a phone call away.
Lurcher
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:10 pm

[quote="Lurcher"]For me the calling is as enjoyable as the shooting, if I was going hunting and I left my calls behind I'd probably turn around and go home. I don't feel guilty about buying nice calls.

:withstupid:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:35 pm

There is NO gain to having an expensive call. I own a couple and they are no better than my 20 dollar calls. In fact none of them are on my lanyard cause I dont like them. Its all just a sham. Acrylic and Cocabola can make some differences to the outgoing sound but not NEAR worth the money.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Bret » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:55 pm

Then as I stated in my earlier post it just might be the caller not the call.

I am still waiting for you to make a sound file for me maybe I can learn something. I have always thought Buck and Barney and John and Keith and Bernie and Todd and Rick....... were pretty good callers so what do I know.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:10 pm

God thank that there are people like bret on this forum, that actually know which end to blow through.

most likely if one isnt satified with an expenisive call(which most are single reeds) its because they dont know how to properly operate one. It takes practice, its not the same as a double reed. Theres alot more work involved. believe it or not *the caller has most to do with weither a call sounds good or not* but understand an expensive call does not automatically make you a better caller, the work and practice with that call (A full-ranged call) makes you a better caller.
Bret wrote: have always thought Buck and Barney and John and Keith and Bernie and Todd and Rick.......
Bret i dont think he knows who those people are.

crackerjack- again you seem to be walking through unknown territory to you. whats a sham is your credibility.

i would aswell enjoy a calling clip, to enlighten me on how to really blow a call. maybe i could learn something. pm me and ill getcha my email so you can send me the file.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:38 pm

Well maybe yall have to have an expensive call to compensate for your lack of ability. As for me I can make these cheapy calls sound like those 100 dollar ones. All you have to do is practice. And the difference is how many ducks I kill. And you saying that Im walking through unknown territory is a bunch of bull. Im not getting into it with yall again. You can waste your money if you wanna. Most of the guys on here seem to have the same opinion as me. Oh wait but YALL are right cause YALL are just smarter than EVERYBODY on here. I sure hope yall stop trying to give people calling advice on here cause your just settin them up for failure.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:56 pm

do you know what lack of ability Mr. Bret here has?
2005 - #2 at the Idaho State Open Duck
2005 - #2 at the Utah State Duck Calling Contest
2004 - #2 at the Utah State Duck Calling Contest
2003 - #4 at the Utah State Duck Calling Contest

yea you get that for lack of ability,
as for me i dont have that kind of, resume, but i'm looking foward to my first contests this comming year.

but why dont you put ur money where your mouth is? send an file....
just go buy a mic from walmart it's about as cheap as your calls, about $10, and record a file.

and you do realize one would blow a cheap duck commander, that has all the rasp built in, to compensate for lack of ability. again, you say things that only prove to me that duck calling is unknown territory for you.

and i betcha if you took this conversation to callingducks.com, we would hear a whole different story about calls being too expensive
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:40 pm

WOW how bad of a listener ARE you?!?! Ive said over and over again that DUCK HUNTING, and COMPETITION CALLING does NOT mix. Your right. I know nothing about all those competitions. Those titles dont mean SQUAT to duck calling. It DOES mean that you have the ABILITY to call ducks. But as long as you call the same at ducks as you do in those competitions your not helpin yourself out. These people want to DUCK HUNT. Their not entiring competitions. WHAT ABOUT THAT DONT YOU GET!!!!! So SIT down and SHUT UP cause you DONT know what your talking about. CRAP!!!
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Bret » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:44 pm

Duck crazy you flatter me but I am no one I am just trying to learn all I can and get to that big show in ARK just one time. Maybe I will see you there.

CrackerJackShot
Calling ducks in "my friend" is easy in comparison to calling judges the ducks are way more forgiving. Of course I do not blow a comp routine while working birds that would be rediculous and boy would I scare those wary public marsh birds I hunt. I was once just a hunter killing ducks and I am that same hunter every fall. It is funny though....as my ability to blow a comp routine gets better so does my ability to work ducks. There can't be any way that better call operation helps you work more birds....could it? You say you can get all the sounds out of your DC call that can be achieved with the more expensive calls.... I am calling you out. I am giving you the chance to show me. I am serious when I say I might learn something from your file.... Just make a file with all the different hens you can get out of one of your calls the different feed cadences. I would like to hear a little cajun squeal from it ...you know a mallard hen with full craw, and anything else you can add. Step up you are to bat I am not attacking you it is just if you are going to come on here and tell me I should be blowing a $20 call back it up. I will head down to the wal-mart right after work tomorrow and pick up one of your calls if you can show me it will be worth my while...... You seem to just ignore me. I am no one in the calling world, but I am a student of the call and if you have something I don't know don't hold out I want to hear it. I will PM you my E-mail. If you want to show your rocks....

Bret
Bret
hunter

Next

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum