Is the money worth it?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Postby Steve McMullin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:33 am

CrackerJackShot wrote:WOW how bad of a listener ARE you?!?! Ive said over and over again that DUCK HUNTING, and COMPETITION CALLING does NOT mix. Your right. I know nothing about all those competitions. Those titles dont mean SQUAT to duck calling. It DOES mean that you have the ABILITY to call ducks. But as long as you call the same at ducks as you do in those competitions your not helpin yourself out. These people want to DUCK HUNT. Their not entiring competitions. WHAT ABOUT THAT DONT YOU GET!!!!! So SIT down and SHUT UP cause you DONT know what your talking about. CRAP!!!

Cracker...
It appears to me that you have some things confused. Hunting ducks has NOTHING to do with CALLING ducks and Comp calling doesn't mean you can CALL ducks, it only means you can functionaly operate a call.
Now, I know a lot of comp callers that can call ducks and I know a few that can't. Learning how to operate a call, how to read the birds and know what or how to respond on the call, is what calling ducks is about. Don't confuse hunting and calling.

I may slightly agree with you that you can make a $20 call sound like an expensive one, but I will wager the cost of an expensive call that you cannot perform or operate IT like a $20 call. You can shoot birds with a slingshot too, so why aren't you?
Calls are worth what the buyer percives it is worth. Same as with Vehicles, guns, ammo, boats, waders, dogs, decoys...

So I believe the topic was about expensive calls being worth it.

Not...
These people want to DUCK HUNT. Their not entiring competitions.

So...
WHAT ABOUT THAT DONT YOU GET!!!!! So SIT down and SHUT UP cause you DONT know what your talking about. CRAP!!!

Bret is making a good point about learning how to use a call, what ever the cost is.
Steve McMullin
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:40 pm

UM DOA thats exactly what I was trying to say. Not to get calling and hunting confused cause they arent the same thing. And sure you can make a 100 dollar call sound like a piece of crap. Its all about the caller. But thats not even the point!!! I dont even know what your doing on here. You obviously dont know whats been going on. I wasnt even talking to BRET. Bret IS making good points. Yes Bret the ducks ARE easier to fool than the judges. But thats just my point, if you can make a cheaper call sound like an expensive one and your NOT doing competition calling. Then you should be fine. Better call operation is the key, yes the better you learn to OPERATE the call the better you will be at calling ducks. But do that with a cheaper call and be just as well off!!! There is NO reason to even suggest getting those expensive calls. Just learn how to operate the call correctly. So I wasnt even really talking to you. Duck Crazy is the one driving me mad. And DOA, whoever you are, if you dont know what the convo is about and you dont know whos on what side shut your mouth. People like you are the most irritating of all.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Steve McMullin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:21 pm

Cracker, I think you need some reading comprehension lessons. Seems to me your getting pretty defensive and irritable over something you can not understand. You offered up your 2 cents worth...same as everybody else and you decided to show your ass and start talking from it. This whole thread seems pretty self explanitory and last time I checked anyone that was registered here could post up thier opinions. Looks to me as if your trying to walk both sides of the fence and can't take a little constructive critisizm and started acting like a kid with all that talk about "shut your mouth" and being just plain ole disrespectful and juvenile.

I am one of those "expensive" call makers and I don't take any offense that you don't think they're worth the money. A lot of folks don't. Campaign all you want to to stop the selling of the expensive calls too, it really doesn't make me any difference, but when I make an observation and post my opinion, and get a response like you gave me, I have to look at the source and shake my head with pity. And this crap about being "irritating"? Come on!... what's your problem?

Seems you've been "called" out by some of the others already, so put up or "shut up".
There's an old saying...'if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen"
I don't get caught up in some folks inability to understand things or attempts to verbaly beat someone down. That's thier problem...I let it die...nuff said... :salude:
Steve McMullin
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:13 pm

............... the funny thing is that you keep telling me how bad I listen to you and all these people and what their saying, but yet, your not getting what IM saying. I guess its a lost cause. You cant make people understand something that they dont want to understand..........
Oh yeah, and this started back before this forum. So once again youve opened your mouth and started talkin about somethin you dont know about. Well done.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Steve McMullin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:22 pm

:eek: :laughing: :laughing: :salude:
Steve McMullin
hunter

Postby Bret » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:26 pm

:toofunny: :yes:
Crackerjackshot , I want to hear you call man send me a file. If you are going to keep flapping your gums I want some back up. I will be honest I don't think you will. Just duck talk that is all I ask.... it ain't that tough to show someone your skills. If you need help making a file I can help you with that too.
I understand everything you have said, and I think the other folks do too. Even though in the posts you have made on this forum you have contradicted yourself many times. Perhaps you just don't express yourself through writing well...some of us don't. I wouldn't hold that against you.
I don't know who you are only that you come off as though you think you are the best, most experienced, nastiest quackin duck hunter that ever graced the face of this great planet. Well maybe you are, but from the way you come off in writing...well... I don't think much of it. I do know DOA and his reputation as a callmaker and just a good guy stands on its own. He and I have talked calls many many times and alot of his knowledge is over my head and yours. Your attack of him was unfounded and unnessisary. He simpley stated an opinion and has the right to do so as we all do.

Now I am the first one to admit that you don't need some fancy custom call to kill ducks but I beleive some of the more expensive calls out perform the cheaper ones straight up. Now the fella that started this thread stated he had a cheaper call he was blowing and was thinking about steping up for a number of reasons. Can you learn to squeal on a call that won't cry I don't think so. Can you learn to ring a call that wont ring? no. Can you learn to run the scale on a call that is only capible of a couple of notes? no. The sticking thing is debatable.
That is my point. In order to get better some times you need a different or dare I say better call. I never tell a beginer to buy a $50+ call but if a guy has been calling for a while and wants to step up. I say do it. I wish I had a long time before I did.

Being a better caller helps make you a better hunter. If it were not for the challenges of working birds over decoys with a call I would have given up the game many moons ago. It would be like hunting pheasants without a good dog.

I don't know some of the members of this forum some I do...most of the guys here are great, and I love reading what they have to say it doesn't really matter if I agree or not. I like reading it. I do not mean to belittle anyone else or discourage any one from posting freely. I wish more would post. Please don't let the slightl;y hostile nature of this thread stop you

I think I am going to buy a new DC all the ones I have are old and dusty and I admit I have not blown any of the newer ones someone point me to his most versital call. Price doesn't matter.lol

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:11 pm

CrackerJackShot wrote: if you can make a cheaper call sound like an expensive one and your NOT doing competition calling. Then you should be fine. Better call operation is the key, yes the better you learn to OPERATE the call the better you will be at calling ducks.

problem is you cant make a duck commander or a haydels do the same things as an RNT or an ECHO. that has been my point this whole time.

and elements from competition calling work in the field, just like the ringing hail.

i understand all off your points, because i used to blow double reeds aswell, IT IS NOT NECCISSARY to buy a $$$ call. One can call ducks with a duck commander. but by the fact that you say you can make it sound like a Daisy Cutter is ludicrous. You can not get the same things out of a duck commander. the more tricks in the bag the better. Thats what im talking about when i say versatility. Not just volume, but pitch and tones.

Bret-, on subject of calls, have you ever tried southern game calls? Little Joel. Nasty Boy. they are both great calls. (for me atleast).
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:45 pm

heres a quote from the classic, As I Lay Dying By William Faulkner that i thought may be appropriate for this.

"...But its a shame, in a way. Folks seem to get away from the olden right teaching that says to drive the nails down and trim the edges well always like it was for your own use and comfort you were making it. It's like some folks has the smooth, pretty boards to build a courthouse with and others don't have no more than rough lumber fitten to build a chicken coop. But it's better to build a tight chicken coop than a shoddy courthouse, and when they both built shoddy or built well, neither because it's one nor tother is going to make a man feel the better nor the worse."

in duck calling terms, it would be better for a good caller to use a cheap call, than a bad caller use an expensive call, but when it comes down do it, expensive or cheap, The calling needs to be done well. What ever call you use, blow it well.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby Bret » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:13 am

yes I have blown SGC and I like them pretty well to I like the little Joel. I don't own one right now but I used to. I would not mind picking one up at some point. I have one of his swan calls.....funky.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Previous

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum