duck whistle

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl

duck whistle

Postby yellowlab » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:57 pm

if anyone here owns a duck whistle and can provide any imput i would be very appceative.

on to the subject what whistles do you own/ have had experiance with... i am looking for one that can do it all (mallard, teal, wigeon, pintail) especial mallard... what would you all recomend. i have looked at mallardtones whistal (m-250) but it dosen;t say that it can do the mallard drake call...? can it???(if it can i wouldn;t be at all opposed to buyin it... not as boring as other whistals on the market) also i have looked in to the haydels mp-90 didn;t know if anybody has had experiance with this call or not?(i don;t know if a "loop" lanyard will attact to it and i have one exrta drop on my lanyard that needs filled... dose it have a loop ring on it?) the last one that i have looked at is the duck comander whistal although it dosen;t say that it will produce the mallard call i am almost sure it will... this call just looks boaring to me(LOL like it maters) but hey if you guys think it woudl be the best was to go then hey it must work the best and so be the boring look of it as if you can buy a "cool" lookin duck whistal. :mrgreen:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Tmoney » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:42 pm

look at the primos power drake whistle
very loud and can make the sounds of a drake mallard, widgeon, and pintail flutter

you have to flutter your tounge for the pintail whistle- kinda hard for rookies

primos also makes a whistle for people that can't flutter their tounge- i forget the name, btu i hear its a good whistle
Tmoney
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:01 am

i looked at the power drake whistel and it looks pretty nice (for what it is)... any other thoughs on this one or others?

HOW MANY OTHER PEOPLE USE WHISTEL WHILE HUNTING DUCKS DO YOU THINK THEY HELP?
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NESoDak » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:13 am

I have both the primos power whistle and the "roller" type whistle from primos (I can't remember the name either and am too lazy to walk out to the truck right now). The roller type is nice for a pintail call as I can't flutter my tongue as well as the call can do it, but as a mallard call it is definately second best. It'll do the trick, but unless you hunt a lot of pintails I would go for the plain old power whistle.

I like to use whistles early in the morning and when hunting in fog so as not to blow unseen ducks out of the countryside with hail calls and such. I was taught that drakes call rarely and if used too heavily will alarm ducks. Keep a drake whistle down to 3 "quacks" per minute or so. Dunno if it is a fact, but it is what i was taught.
"If you don't think too good ... Don't think too much." Ted Williams
NESoDak
hunter

Postby DuckKillinD » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:12 pm

i have the hydel mp-90 i think i like this 1 the best have had several others and didnt like the bigger whistles hanging on my lanyard. the mp-90 is small enough that i hang that and my dog whistle together .the mp-90 does all the calls even the pinny flutter.and about the drake quack, i hunt over about 10 dzn mallard decoys and about 7 dzn r drakes,and when ever a mallard is in close enough where u dont wanna call or dont have a short range call in ur arsenal i use a drake quack about6 or 8 quacks per minute an dont see a problem in birds flaring.[quote]call'em in haul'em out
DuckKillinD
hunter

SHORT & SIMPLE

Postby teal_tormentor » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:24 pm

I'll keep it short & simple. Buck Gardner 6-in-1 is all you need. It can do everything you're asking for and yes, you can make it perform a mallard drake. Best thing is, it's under 10.00 clams...now that is cheap-cheap-cheap!
Take a youngster hunting today instead of taking him to rehab tomorrow.
teal_tormentor
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:44 pm

THe drake whistle is sometimes the only call I use. Got mine with my Double Nasty Duck Call.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:02 pm

hey thanks for the help i purches a cheap one form HS but hey 4 bucks couldn't beat that and it comes with a tape ...if it is taht bad then i will get a new one lol
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MacAttack » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:55 pm

:thumbsup: yellowlab! I just got the same one. I hope it works out...
MacAttack
hunter

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:47 pm

you know, looking at all of the sug. for calls, i support all primos products, but i expectially supporting of the duck commander mallard drake call... I have used this during the early teal season and landed a group of 12 mallards... I also killed three teal... I highly suggest using one of these calls if you have the chance.
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:49 pm

I got the HS call with the tape also. Its my favorite call on my lanyard, and the cheapest...works like a charm. Ya wont be sorry. Y'all have nice day! :thumbsup:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Re: SHORT & SIMPLE

Postby mccree79 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:12 pm

teal_tormentor wrote:I'll keep it short & simple. Buck Gardner 6-in-1 is all you need. It can do everything you're asking for and yes, you can make it perform a mallard drake. Best thing is, it's under 10.00 clams...now that is cheap-cheap-cheap!

This IS a good product.
mccree79
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:30 am

I recomend the Bill Gardner 6 in 1 its a great call and its in expensive
duckbuster
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum