Buck Gardner Double Nasty II & Straight Talk

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Buck Gardner Double Nasty II & Straight Talk

Postby dan61psu » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:48 am

So I bought these two items from Buck Gardner's website...

I have listened to Straight Talk and practiced a little bit so far on the DoubleNastyII. I like the call, and it is helping me learn the mechanics of duck calling.

What I notice is the call sounds a good bit different than the Arkansas Single Reed that Buck uses in his CD...is this normal?

Is the Double Nasty II still a good call for most of the things he teaches? Am I learning on a good call that will be effective in the field?

Does it make sense to purchse another BG call? Like the Mallard Magic or Timber?
Last edited by dan61psu on Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dan61psu
hunter

Re: Buck Gardner Double Nasty II & Straight Talk

Postby worknem » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:25 pm

dan61psu wrote:So I bought these two items from Buck Gardner's website...

I have listened to Straight Talk and practiced a little bit so far on the DoubleNastyII. I like the call, and it is helping me learn the machancis of duck calling.

What I notice is the call sounds a good bit different than the Arkansas Single Reed that Buck uses in his CD...is this normal?

Is the DOuble Nasty still a good call for most of the things he teaches? Am I learning on a good call that will be effective in the field?

IMO you've chosen well for a great call to start on. Stick with it through the off-season referring to the CD frequently. It'll work birds - just did for me this morning. :thumbsup:
Good luck with it and there's only one way to get better. Practice, practice and lastly - practice. :salude:

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby Bret » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:50 pm

:withstupid:

It is good to see you Rel.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby worknem » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:24 pm

Bret wrote::withstupid:

It is good to see you Rel.

Bret

Happy New Year Brother Bret! :salude:

C.T. gave you the highest praise while he was out here on the coast of fruits and nuts at the ISE San Mateo last weekend.:thumbsup:

Get yourself ready for your big day dude! "06"ll see you to it. Keeping fingers crossed for ya.

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby Bret » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:56 am

Thanks Rel! Happy new year to you. I trust you and yours are all well.
Was that contest last weekend?

I am working hard, and feel pretty good. We will see what happens.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby dan61psu » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:20 am

THREAD JACKED! :hammering:

Back to topic? Anyone? :help:
Preparing for Season One...Cant wait!

Tips? Southeast PA Hunters need a protege?
dan61psu@yahoo.com
dan61psu
hunter

Postby worknem » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:22 am

dan61psu wrote:THREAD JACKED! :hammering:

Back to topic? Anyone? :help:

:salude: No jack intended dude. Just a couple of ole callers from different parts of the continent running into each other. Just think, we've got you to thank for the fond memories re-generated. :salude:

Good luck in your endeavor to become proficient at an art that needs all the new blood it can get.

Back to my lurker hole now for another couple of years. Ya'll have fun now, hear?

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby Bret » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:56 pm

sorry :oops: Just like Rel stated no jack intended. Just got excited to see him post. You call and instruction should suit you well good luck if I can help let me know.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby dan61psu » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:48 pm

:salude: Indeed!

Thanks guys - I just got nervous after hearing myself blow the DN2 and hearing BG with the SR Arkansas.

I think I am getting better slowly though!

:thumbsup:

Any suggestions on second calls?

dan61psu@yahoo.com
dan61psu
hunter

Postby Bret » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:13 am

iduno ...try his Tall Timber II it is a single reed AR style call. I have the acrylic version and I certainly think it sounds good. The poly version is about the same price as your double nasty.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:17 pm

or it could be that buck gardner is impossible to copy, he's just that good.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby dan61psu » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:31 pm

I was more worried about the sound differences. The NastyII is much raspier...

dan61psu@yahoo.com
dan61psu
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:15 pm

it could quite possibly be the call, but more of it, i think is how you put air into the call. You might be grunting to much, putting to much voice into the call. Try instead to blow clean air. have a quick sharp kind of cough, like Ugh to start the note and finish it with hot air.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby worknem » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:50 pm

dan61psu wrote:I was more worried about the sound differences. The NastyII is much raspier...

Hence the name "Nasty". That's duck built in without the operator having to know how to produce low register ring. The crisp you are hearing on the DVD has many factors why it sounds different, some already mentioned here.

If you've really got a concern about the call I wouldn't hesitate to contact the Boys at Buck's. Blow it for em over the phone and they can fill in the 411 for you. Great bunch of folks with super customer support.

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby ucaduckhunter » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:32 am

I bought a Double Nasty II and used a buddy's Tall Timber. I didn't really like either one of them. I just couldn't get the sound I wanted from them. I moved to a Cocobolo RNT Shortbarrel.

I would find what works for you and go with it. I know guys that swear by all different types of calls from all different callmakers. I have heard countless arguements about poly, acryllic, and wood. I have also listened to many disputes about expensive calls vs inexpensive calls.

Any call in the right hands can put ducks in the water. Find what works for you and go with it. Most of all, become an effective caller (ie practice). I kill ten times as many ducks as guys who just stand over decoys.

If you can blow it, ducks will come, and IMO there is nothing cooler than have ducks you work for come into the spread. For me, thats what gets me out of bed in the morning.
If you love something let it go. If it doesn't come back to you then hunt it down, kill it, and eat it.
ucaduckhunter
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum